Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
6 registered (WriterKeith, gettingstronger, pufferfish, Jwmcd2, ethereo222, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63171 Topics
441729 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#381998 - 01/10/12 12:17 PM New PENN STATE PERSPECTIVE
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
All,

I asked Matt for permission to link his frightening article on Penn State. He brings internal perspective and insight that ended him up on MSNBC and Dr. Phil.

What you will read about Paterno and the inside of Penn Football is nothing short of disturbing.

Dear Fellow Survivors:

The attached is written for you, to encourage and to support you as you heal and become whole. Life does get better. Coping mechanisms established when we're kids are often ineffective, yet can be relearned when we're adults, leading us survivors to choose happy and fulfilling lives; to gain control of our destinies.

http://mattpaknis.blogspot.com/2011/11/absolute-power-corrupts-absolutely.html

The Penn State scandal collided two of my worlds. I was a graduate assistant offensive line football coach at Penn State following their 1986 National Championship when Joe Paterno was Sport Illustrated's reigning Sportsman of the Year.

I am also a survivor of early childhood sexual abuse.

Sexual abuse survivors do have a high rate of recovery from trauma when we get the proper treatment.

Patience and persistence equals progress!

I hope you find the blog helpful and encourage you to stay the course.

Your comments and insights are welcomed.

If you need direction, please let me know.

You can do it!

Peace,
Matt
Matt Paknis Leadership Development

visit my website at: www.mattpaknis.com
blog me at: http://mattpaknis.blogspot.com/

Still's Globs

New Video

#382010 - 01/10/12 02:17 PM Re: New PENN STATE PERSPECTIVE [Re: Still]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Wonderful article. Very informative and insightful. Thanks

#382013 - 01/10/12 02:26 PM Re: New PENN STATE PERSPECTIVE [Re: Still]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Read it. PSU football was a cult under Paterno. All Paterno gave a shit about was football. Wonder if Paterno did go home and beat his wife like he said. Apparently the whole bunch had no morals. Unlike this guy's none was like PSU, these big sports programs need lots of oversight and coaches are no longer gods.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#382035 - 01/10/12 05:49 PM Re: New PENN STATE PERSPECTIVE [Re: phoenix321]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I had the same reaction he did. Joe Paterno had unlimited control over his program and knew, approved and controlled everything within it. For people to say that he did not know or was too naive to realize is just plain absurd. He deserved to be fired and Penn State deserves to not play for a year. The deeper you dig into the details, the less sympathy I have for the man or the program.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#382110 - 01/11/12 04:14 PM Re: New PENN STATE PERSPECTIVE [Re: catfish86]
Rusty563 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Anywhere, USA
I can't look at him. I can't read the articles. If I see Paterno or any of the perps (that's what I consider them all) on TV, I begin to sob. It all comes back to me. A friend said I have to start separating myself from these situations and my reactions. I don't know that I'll ever be able to do that.

I tried to go to go to the link and as soon as I saw the picture the fear began. Yesterday Paterno was on the ESPN at a retaurant with some friends for lunch and they said something about him and I blurted out "FUCK PATERNO" not once but twice. I think the whole restaurant could hear me.

Men, the pro-Penn State staff out there is unbelieveable. The boys that are now men are completely ignored. How can they do that to them? I saw one Penn State student's blog that had 12 prayers listed for the new year and I was so enraged that the very first prayer was for Paterno and his recovery and the stuggle he's going through! #3 and #10 were about children that have been abused and how poor that was.

My heart breaks. It literally hurts for these men. They are us. If you believe in God or a higher power pray for them. They're going to be reviled and abused all over again. We know what that's like, don't we?

Please forgive this rant but Joe Paterno and his perps set me off. FYI - when this first broke I had a break down and was out of work for 4 days. It caught me at a really bad time in my recovery. I just lost it.

Love you, love me

Rusty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOkMSf-F14

#382113 - 01/11/12 04:28 PM Re: New PENN STATE PERSPECTIVE [Re: Rusty563]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I know how you feel--every time I hear about Penn State the thought of the boy in the shower with Sandusky runs through my mind-it makes me sick--I can feel the boys pain and the picture is so vivid. How could anyone let this go on and on.

I hope there is significant behind the scenes help being given to the victims.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.