Last night I watched “One Hour Photo” with Robin Williams. While it is a good movie it made me feel sad all the same. I think because I was reminded of myself in very unexpected ways. First, I was struck by how the little boy in it reminded me of myself at his age when he tells his mother that it makes him feel bad when he is sad for someone else, in this case Robin Williams character. Weirdly I was brought to tears by that scene, I think because it struck a cord with some of my earliest feelings of empathy and sympathy for others who were hurting and how bad it would make me feel as a child.

Second, as the film progressed I also felt somewhat sad for myself in relation to Robin Williams character. For those who haven’t seen the film he plays a very lonely and isolated character who has no intimate or loving relationships with anyone, yet at the same time is a decent albeit troubled man who longs for closeness but just can’t get it in healthy ways. At the end of the film it is learned that he is a sexual abuse survivor so perhaps I made a connection between Williams’ character and my own feelings of emotional isolation from what happened to me in my past. Anyways the film really moved me in ways I didn’t expect. I still can’t stop thinking about it.