Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, CafeMan, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445346 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#381675 - 01/06/12 04:06 PM US redefines rape to include males
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
US broadens definition of rape; includes male victims
By NBC News and wire

The Obama administration on Friday broadened the definition of the crime of rape to include more forms of sexual assaults such as rape of men and oral or anal sex, the first major revision to the definition in more than 80 years.

The new definition will include any gender of the victim and attacker and also assaults in which a victim cannot give consent because the individual has been incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, is under the age of consent, or is mentally or physically incapable of consent, the Justice Department said.

Physical resistance from the victim is not required to demonstrate lack of consent in the new definition, NBC reported.

"This long-awaited change to the definition of rape is a victory for women and men across the country whose suffering has gone unaccounted for over 80 years," Vice President Joe Biden said in a statement.

While reports of rape to authorities are likely to rise, the Justice Department said that will only reflect more accurate reporting rather than the number of actual attacks increasing.

"This new, more inclusive definition will provide us with a more accurate understanding of the scope and volume of these crimes," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement.

A rape every 6.2. minutes, data show
Based on reports from law enforcement authorities, the FBI estimated in 2010 that there were almost 85,000 forcible rapes under the old definition, the latest raw data available, and that one occurs in the United States every 6.2 minutes.

Preliminary FBI statistics show that the forcible rape rate declined 5.1 percent in the first half of 2011 compared to the same period of the previous year.

The administration said this expansive definition more accurately tracks rapes but will not change state or federal laws used to prosecute rape, most of which already incorporate the more expansive definitions, NBC reported Friday.

"All victims of these horrendous crimes deserve justice and should have access to the comprehensive services that will help them rebuild their lives," said Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

For years, interest groups have been pushing for a change in the definition of forcible rape, which since 1927 was defined as the carnal knowledge of a woman, forcibly and against her will. That included penetration of a woman's vagina, but excluded oral or anal penetration and the rape of men.

The new definition is: "The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim."

#381681 - 01/06/12 04:38 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Thank you for posting--it is great to hear we are being heard at last and hopefully will lead to providing the necessary help to the victims and allow for justice.

I am glad for the change but when I read what you have written I can feel the pain and hurt from my own abuse. Sad it took this long for the change.

#381701 - 01/06/12 06:53 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: KMCINVA]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
WOW - that's amazingly great news Ken!!!

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#381703 - 01/06/12 07:15 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: TJ jeff]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
yes, about time. so 33 years, 11 days, and 12 hours and 35 minutes after my "rape" while delivering christmas presents, i can officially call it what it was. see, progress. smile

#381709 - 01/06/12 08:39 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: westchesterguy]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
This is HUGE. Now I too can call it correctly what it was and not just "sexual assault," but rather O and A Rape.
Thank you so much Ken for informing us of this development as I have always been highly discouraged by the unfair definition that has been assigned to those of different genders.
At least now in definition, which i believe leads to public awareness, we are getting closer to equality and rightfully claiming that what happened to us was as equally damaging and getting non-survivor's to recognize this, I hope.

Logan

-Blade Runner

#381712 - 01/06/12 09:49 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
That's great! I always said I was raped. Now, it's the right word and they'll agree. This is only half of what needs to happen.

Step 2, hope all states pass REQUIRED Life Sentences for Pedos next.

Step 3, Require all institutions including churches report CSA allegations to the cops. If they refuse, it's a felony and 5 years mandatory.

Pedos deserve society's scorn. Hell, even regular criminals hate them. That should tell us a lot about Pedos being useless to society. Or, stick them all on an island together and let them fend for themselves.

It's time to tell pedos and potential pedos, your sickness is no longer tolerated.

Note: The FBI chief asked for this in 2001. Ridiculous it wasn't done in 2001.

Edited by phoenix321 (01/06/12 09:51 PM)
Edit Reason: add

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#381757 - 01/07/12 02:58 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
F.A. Offline

Loc: United States
I am so happy to see a change it is about time because I was not molested, touched inappropriately, had lew acts performed on me or in front of me I was RAPED mind, body and soul

To be sick is to be fragmented. To be healed is to become whole, and to become whole one must be in harmony with family, friends, and nature" -Navajo-
Blog: http://csafresno.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/CSAFresno
My Story: http://tinyurl.com/78upvvu

#381800 - 01/08/12 12:25 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: F.A.]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Good to see. I remember a text on counseling published in 1988 that I read as a college Social Work major. It defined CSA as when an adult male forces intercourse with a female minor. In discussing how to counsel abuse survivors, he goes on to discuss the difficulty that survivors have in getting anyone to believe an upstanding member of the community could do such things to their daughters. It is kind of sad that it took this long.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#381842 - 01/09/12 12:47 AM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Happy Birthday TheTwoOfUs Offline

Loc: USA
GOOD! It's about damn time!

Now the trick will be to get actual convictions and jail sentances, but this is definitely a good bloody start.

Friggin' took them long enough, but it's there. I was NOT 'sexually assaulted', I was 'raped' and there is a HUGE goddamn bloody difference between the two. And the sense that they try to water it down by calling it an SA instead of what it was has irritated the HELL out of me since that night happened!

Thank you for posting this, Ken!

Adapt. Overcome. Survive.

#381907 - 01/09/12 09:00 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: TheTwoOfUs]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Yeah...I will double down with...it is about damn time...

Land of Confusion (Disturbed)

#381917 - 01/09/12 10:56 PM Re: US redefines rape to include males [Re: 1islandboy]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I think most states have gender-free definitions of rape. For example, from the Virginia criminal code:

Section 18.2-61 Rape.

A. If any person has sexual intercourse with a complaining witness who is not his or her spouse or causes a complaining witness, whether or not his or her spouse, to engage in sexual intercourse with any other person and such act is accomplished (i) against the complaining witness's will, by force, threat or intimidation of or against the complaining witness or another person, or (ii) through the use of the complaining witness's mental incapacity or physical helplessness, or (iii) with a child under age thirteen as the victim, he or she shall be guilty of rape.
B. If any person has sexual intercourse with his or her spouse and such act is accomplished against the spouse's will by force, threat or intimidation of or against the spouse or another, he or she shall be guilty of rape.

FYI...

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.