Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (tbkkfile, Jay1946, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63579 Topics
444198 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#380924 - 12/28/11 05:49 PM Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps?
Undefeated Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: westchesterguy
Originally Posted By: Undefeated
......"to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace"...

i am curious how that works. if "our" sins are forgiven, then doesn't it mean that my rapist's sins were too since he was part of "our"? he and i are just equals after all is said and done?

Jeff,

This is a good question. My first thought was why you would ask this? What I am wondering, is would you (we) reject God's gift of forgiveness and eternal life through Christ, if/because He has offered it to your (our) perps?

First of all, I see that one must accept God's gift of eternal life through repentance (acknowledging their sins), then by placing faith (believing) that Christ died for them.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."
(John 3:16-17 NKJV)
If the perp, or anyone for that matter, doesn't believe Christ died for them, they do not receive eternal life.

He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
(John 3:18 NKJV)

Then I think this passage about the thief on the cross answers your question too:
Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."
(Luke 23:42-43 NKJV)

Also, Jesus said this about those that crucified Him:
Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."
(Luke 23:34 NKJV)

Maybe all this is another reason Jesus said that we should forgive those that sin against us? If we forgive them and let their eternal destiny lay in God's hands, it doesn't make us so bitter and angry that we reject anything good God gives to us?

By the way, I believe forgiving our perps doesn't "let them off the hook." They still owe us restitution for the damage they did to us and our lives.

#380946 - 12/29/11 01:00 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: Undefeated]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I can't add much to the response of Undefeated. But I think that the forgiveness is dependent on whether the person is open to receive the it. See how King Herod III in biblical times didn't want to be forgiven, and he died alone. The other thief on the other side of the cross apparently remained unrepentant.

Puffer

#380948 - 12/29/11 01:38 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: Undefeated]
ALIVE 3n1 Offline

Loc: Throne Room of God
I have wrestled with this also until I understood the difference between Godly repentance and worldly sorrow.

2 Corinthians 7:9-11
9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

What this sorrow of the world means, "Man, I got caught. Wait that punishment is to great. What about me? Look what happened to me. You should feel sorry for me." It is all about me. It is a selfish, self preserving repentance.

Godly repentance is basically falling on your sword. You don't care about yourself. You will do anything to rectify the pain and suffering you have caused others. You will puke up all your sins freely.

I hope this helps on the repentance aspect.

#380956 - 12/29/11 07:30 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: ALIVE 3n1]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California USA
I love how you state that alive. For something major like being a perp. I know that Heavenly Father wants to see some godly like sorrow. Not because he wants to see us in pain so much as he wants the repentance process to be strong enough to prevent a repeat of the sin. I am greatful that in my Fathers house are many mansions because I don't think I am ready to have my perps as my next door neighbors Mike

#380966 - 12/29/11 10:41 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: Undefeated]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
Originally Posted By: Undefeated
....What I am wondering, is would you (we) reject God's gift of forgiveness and eternal life through Christ, if/because He has offered it to your (our) perps?

that is a good question.

now, this won't be a popular answer i assume, but i must say that "yes" i would reject all things eternal if (for lack of better de>

Edited by westchesterguy (12/29/11 10:44 AM)

#380968 - 12/29/11 11:10 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: westchesterguy]
Undefeated Offline

Jeff,

I suspect from what you say, your perp did not believe unto salvation. All that Catholic devotion and "statues in his home as decorative accents" won't save anyone. This is why God says,
"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."
(Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJV)
It definitely sounds like your perp was trying to earn his own salvation. That is a lie and no one ever could earn their own salvation.

Here's what God says about that:
"Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt."
(Romans 4:4 NKJV)

My perp was/is a very devout Roman Catholic. I too was Roman Catholic and I "believed," but when I was a Catholic, I was completely lost. A simple mental ascent to the facts of Jesus existence and doctrinal facts is not what true believing is.

Your perp did enough damage to you, and I am very sorry for all the harm he did. I understand, because my perp destroyed my entire life as well. I am not going to let my perp and hatred for him and what he did to me, keep me from accepting God's gift of salvation through Christ. To do so, would be letting the perp not only destroy me in this life, but forever. God wins and I win, perp loses!

By the way, since you say you don't want to spend eternity in Heaven with your perp, even if he had placed faith in Christ (which I think you are describing that he did not), who he was as a perp won't be in eternity anyway, based on this:
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
(2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV)

Don't let the perp keep winning over your life now, nor eternity. That would really be letting him destroy everything. Don't let the jerk win again!

#380969 - 12/29/11 11:29 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: ALIVE 3n1]
Undefeated Offline

ALIVE 3n1,

Good point on the repentance issue. Thanks for the clarification.

I might point out too that the repentance is not what saves us, but the repentance is what leads us to see that we are nothing but lost sinners, in need of a Savior. Nothing we have done, or ever can do is able to save us. If it could, Jesus died needlessly.

"But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags..."
(Isaiah 64:6a NKJV)

"I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law (i.e. keeping the commandments and being religious), then Christ died in vain."
(Galatians 2:21 NKJV)

#380997 - 12/29/11 10:06 PM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: Undefeated]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
I'm not one to pull quotes from the Bible-I prefer to relate in my own words my experiences, spiritual and otherwise.

And I have a male friend who was raped as an adult who directed me once to the following bible passage:

It's the words of Jesus

Matthew 18:6 ESV

But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#381012 - 12/30/11 02:10 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: Undefeated]
ALIVE 3n1 Offline

Loc: Throne Room of God
I agree with you on the fundamentals of the doctrine of salvation. We cannot focus on one without the others.

In my frail human state I have a nice spiritual exercise to make sure I do not focus on any one sin. Yes, it is difficult when it is extremely personal. I tend to look at the earthly consequences of the sin and then assign them the same weight in the spiritual. This is where I am in error. The complete unfathomable purity of God cannot have in his presence one "little" sin.

Sin has its own special rewards here on earth. The more you sin, and or the severity of the sin, the lower you are allowed to go. Take for example a little white lie. Nobody will really know about it, but your conscience will start bothering you. If you do not rectify the situation in your mind, the next time it will become easier and easier. It will slowly began eroding at your very character.

Now if you are one of the ones that God has given Jesus.

John 6:37,39
37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.
39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

You will be born again. The sin in your life will be working on you like the first 9 months of pregnancy. God is shaping you and conforming you. You will be affected by environmental sin and also personal sin. Sooner or later you will be born again.

Now, if you are one of the ones that has not been given to Jesus by the father.

Romans 1:18-21
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

They will not believe no matter what they see, or hear, or feel. They will not repent and turn from their sins.

Who are the ones who in the course of their lifetime will believe? Only God knows.

Who are the ones damned for eternal destruction? Only God knows.

One thing that we can be sure of though. Good fruit only comes from good trees. Bad fruit will always come from bad trees. The fruit from the bad tree may be pleasing to the eye but it is rotten on the inside.

I hope this helps.

#381106 - 12/31/11 09:21 AM Re: Does God offer forgiveness to even our perps? [Re: ALIVE 3n1]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
What is forgiveness? What are the consequences/rewards of being forgiven or not? Could the perpetrator actually be rewarded for being penitent when meeting "The Maker"? Why do we need to be forgiven?

The last one first: Why do we need to be forgiven?
Sin came to the earth from Adam, in the Christian belief, and since this is my background, I will speak to that. Romans 5:12 tells us that through one man sin entered, and that all had sinned due to this first sin. We are all sinners. We all therefore, need forgiveness to be reconciled with our Father in heaven. When we accept this undeserved kindness from Almighty God and Jesus, we can begin to make changes to our lives in preparation for the reward in store for us at the conclusion of this system of things. (2Peter 3:11-13)

What is forgiveness? Again, looking at it from the Bible. *** it-1 pp. 861-862 Forgiveness ***
The act of pardoning an offender; ceasing to feel resentment toward him because of his offense and giving up all claim to recompense. The Hebrew verb sa·lach; (forgive) is used only with regard to God’s pardoning a sinner. The Greek term a·phie·mi literally means “let go off.”—See PARDON.(excerpt from the Publication "Insight on the Scriptures", Watchtower Bible and Tract Society) Forgiveness cancels out sin.

What are the consequences/rewards of being forgiven? Every sin against man will be forgiven.(Matthew 5:31)

Could the perpetrator actually be rewarded for being penitent when meeting "The Maker"? Let us understand that we are living in what the bible calls "critical times"(2Tim 3:1) These are not the conditions God originally wanted mankind to enjoy. There will be a time when God will rule exclusively, and the benefits of the Bible in Psalms 37 and Revelation 21 will be applied liberally to mankind, but not now completely.
In this new system of things, no one will be allowed to act in a manner contrary to God's Will. A perpetrator, unrepentant, he/she/they would be given the opportunity to accept forgiveness and repent.(Isaiah 11:6-9). They will not be allowed to live in this new world if they continue to act on their sinful tendencies(Psalms 37:10)

Since this conversation is whether or not God will forgive our perpetrator's in, as I assume, the present and the future, I have attempted to address both. The short answer is all sins are forgiven men in the present, and there will be a time when God will rule completely, not allowing "any harm" to come to anyone, they will be "removed". This means that in the future, any wicked action will be preemptively cut off before it harms anyone.

I hope this has cleared up some of these issues. This material is taken directly from the Bible, so please check into your sources to make sure of this information. Thank you for bringing this up, as research strengthens my faith as well,
Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.