Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
4 registered (focusedbody, Obi, 2 invisible), 11 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443014 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#377022 - 11/27/11 05:27 PM Lower back extreme pain
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I am not in shape, well, round is a shape, or rather pear shaped.
I am strong. I am 6'4" and over 300 lbs. I am also 43. I work in construction and it is more off than on. I work 3 -4 days a week. What I have found is that I cannot do "nothing", I need to exercise or at least stretch out.

Well, I didn't, and now I am hurt. I was sitting and turned to the left to install a bracket below me, and I felt an excruciating pain. I gasped, hit the floor on my hands and knees. I went to the Chiropractor, and could not stand up for more than a few seconds, and would have to grab my knees with my palms, or I would slowly sink to the floor. I used heat and cold, and bed rest, and now I am almost back to good.

The problem is, I keep re-injuring it. Of course, I also cannot keep it rested for more than a few days, and then I lift something, and it inflames again. More than lifting, stress actually contributes to inflamation of the lower lumbar, the third lumbar. Studies have shown that stress creates lactic acid, that this is produced in the muscle that is stressed, and that this attacks the muscle.

If you have ever clenched your jaw, or got a tension headache, that is what it feels like in my lower back. If you have experienced this, how have you been able to be self aware, notice that the lower back muscle was tightening with stress, and what was successful in relaxing it emotionally?

I had stress cramping in my stomach, in my jaw, my shoulders, middle back and my lower back. I can feel when these others are cramping, and compensate. I am not aware when this large muscle cramps, and so it freezes, and then I am in pain for the next three days.

Any help would be appreciated,
Sam

#377045 - 11/27/11 07:47 PM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: SamV]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Sam,

My back issues have been upper muscle spasms from flashbacks, stress or nightmares. Its a fairly new phenom for me. I go to my chiro for everything.

My main focus for you is (and listen to me...I'm pre-med) find a Palmer grad chiro dude. You need a true physical manipulator...not a pen clicker. You also need a maseus (sp). I can't get a massage cuz no guy is gonna be touching me and ... no woman is either. But you need those muscles worked and your spine adjusted as this process continues.

An MD can be a ggreat help here too. He/She can prescribe "Cyclobenzaprene." Its a grand muscle relaxant that should only be used if you don't need to have your eyes open. Tell the MD I said its OK. They'll right (and write) you up.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#377046 - 11/27/11 07:56 PM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: SamV]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Sam

I had what I think you have when I was about your age. I had a job with a mover to make a few dollars for the fam. We had to move a 16,000 pound load of furniture up to the mountains of Georgia. A doctor was trying to get his fam. out of the city. The oldest boy had a locker full of exercise equipment, which means a set of barbell and weights. The damage to my back was from lifting their grand piano. It took 5 of us to move it into the creaky old house. When we set down on the old floor, one of the legs went through the floor.

Anyway, the next day I had severe back pain, about like yours. I thought I could walk it off. It got worse and worse. I saw the orthopedic M.D. He said that all they could do was hospitalize me and put my legs under traction. That didn't even sound promising. Then I lay on the floor for 2 weeks thinking it would heal itself, but it didn't.

Then the guy who hired me came in and took me to a good chiropractor. He popped my back and my neck and I thought I was done for. But I was able to walk out of there, and the next day the pain was almost gone.

The lumbar vertebrae are susceptible to being thrown out of line by lifting, especially lifting while twisting as you did. Then the vertebrae can pinch the nerves emerging from the spinal cord, causing intense pain and inflammation. The pain can radiate down the nerve and inflame digestive organs and/or muscles in the leg, depending on which nerve(s) is implicated. After relieving the pressure by realigning the vertebrae, the inflammation will gradually subside and it will feel better. But the ligaments which hold the vertebrae in place have been stretched out and they aren't able to hold the vertebrae in place. It takes about 6 weeks for the ligaments to heal, and they only heal if there isn't new strain put on them.

In summary, you have thrown some lumbar vertebrae out of alignment, rotationally and vertically. They are pinching one or more nerves. The ligaments for holding them in place are stretched. The solution is to realign the vertebrae and not to stress the system for about 6 weeks, allowing healing to take place. Then start doing some back exercises which will strengthen your back and ligaments so that you can resist repeated injury.

Once you learn how to control the muscles supporting the back, you will often be able to stretch them out and pull your vertebrae into place on your own. You can prevent all but the most severe back injuries.

Puffer (Allen)

Edited by pufferfish (11/27/11 07:59 PM)

#377052 - 11/27/11 08:17 PM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: SamV]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
The other thing:

Probably most of the guys coming to MS have an eating problem. Probably (just guessing) most of us are overweight. Some are anorectic.

I badly need to start Weight Watcher's. I'll try to do that this week.

The overweight makes the back problem worse. It makes lots of things worse. I need outside help like in weight watchers.

Puffer.

#377429 - 11/30/11 11:25 AM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: pufferfish]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lol Rob, thank you,
I had a pen clicker PALMER grad, he is 80+ years old, and in great shape. I have been looking for a 25 dollar an adjustment guy,(Palmer gets 45 bucks a click). I have been stretching and exercising, less as the pain is less, why? Cuz I am lazy)
Solid, great advice, Rob, thank you!
I have an appointment for "Cyclobenzaprene">

#377471 - 11/30/11 07:23 PM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: SamV]
George Offline

Loc: NY metro
Careful with your back... For over 22 years I kept piching / popping the lowest disk. Each time it happened it hurt more and for a longer duration. Three years ago I was in real bad shape for a month and a half. I finally got the disk taken out with a spinal fusion and haven't had one bit of pain since. Pretty drastic surgery & three weeks of hell afterwards but it's done.

I went to a chiropractor once early on in a lot of pain, he didn't want to touch me, he took xrays, heat packs, etc... told me to take Advil, the Advil worked, pain went away. On the second visit (three days later)he wrecked my back again, only worse, the guy had to nearly carry me to my car! Never went back.... I wanted to strangle the guy.

My case was a weak disk wall that kept rupturing, it wasn't muscles or alignment, just a weak link in that one disk.

#377546 - 12/01/11 09:55 AM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: George]
ACRoberts Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey (recently moved fro...
I agree with George. I had a spinal fusion about 10 years ago (L5-S1) and now have a bionic back with no pain whatsoever. I have referred friends of mine to the surgeon for evaluations and most were told they do not need surgery. I caution you to be careful when meeting with surgeons. Some of them just want to make money and will cut, even when it is not warranted. I was lucky (or blessed). I live by the motto: God looks out for fools and drunks--and I am both! (I have been sober for 25 years on January 2, 2012).

#378087 - 12/04/11 10:53 AM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: ACRoberts]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you George, Allan,

Wow George, that sounds like terrible pain throughout your life, I feel that discomfort. I too have something similar, with the lower back experiencing extreme discomfort, but only a few times in my lifetime. When I think back to those times, I realize that I was doing something I should not have been, not picking with my knees, walking barrows full of sand through sand to a foundation, not listening to my back tell me I better behave.

I have had x-rays and scans of my back, and so far, no real trauma. Sounds like you need to stay away from that Chiropractor, lol, and I may need to see a doctor.

Allan! "bionic back", ha! That is great. I will be careful, and get multiple opinions before they get a mortgage payment out of my spinal cord, thanks!

I do feel much better. The ibuprofen did not seem to touch the pain, neither did it seem like the ice packs did much. The heating pad, wow, that made an incredible difference. But pain is not the way to tell if the hurt is healing, I have been told. It is the last thing to come and the first thing to go. I see athletes get ice on pulled muscles, strains and twists, so I thing the hot/cold combo works.

What would work better is if I were 100 pounds lighter and took better care of myself, but that just seems like such an effort! It is only excruciating pain once or twice a year, really!

Thanks for the great replies fellas, time for change,
Sam

#379295 - 12/13/11 04:13 PM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: SamV]
Incognito Offline

When it comes to back pain, there are five things you can do to help prevent them:

1.) Lose weight
2.) Strengthen the back
3.) Stretch!
4.) Foam roll
5.) Use proper technique when picking up objects

Some lower back pain comes from tight hamstrings and using a foam roller will help loosen up the muscles (same principle as a deep tissue massage).

#380641 - 12/25/11 03:02 PM Re: Lower back extreme pain [Re: Incognito]
Sailor John Offline

Loc: Newfoundland & Labrador
Hi sasuva,

I had chronic back pain for years as well. Within a week or 2 of telling my doctor about my abuse, the back pain pretty well went away but I still get some back pain - think that what I get now is from a fall of a ladder where I broke one of the disks just above my backside - don't know the name of it but L6 seems to ring a bell.

My doc also advised that because I haven't exercised for many, many moons (years) that I take up walking before thinking of any heavy exercise program. I quit when it stsrted getting cold - about 25 - 30C (Yes, I'm a wimp.)

WE ARE NOT VICTIMS. WE ARE THE SURVIVORS!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.