Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
5 registered (dan_in_newengland, rolex, 3 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445554 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#380055 - 12/19/11 12:47 PM Remembering things that didnt happen??
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I was at the dinner table and I was talking to my mom and my niece's saxophone recital came up. I then asked her if she remembered when I played the drums for like 1 week in 4th or 5th grade before giving them up. She doesn't. So I suggest that she calls my brother to see if he remembers this and she left a message and he has yet to call back. However, have any of you remembered something about your childhood (not related to the abuse) that you found out wasn't true??

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#380057 - 12/19/11 01:01 PM Re: Remembering things that didnt happen?? [Re: onlyakid]
Fidex Offline

I sometimes remember little things, but I also find that the adults in my life don't remember them, because they weren't paying attention. The only memory I know isn't true because it was most likely a dream I had or some fantasy was riding a train with my aunt and getting off near a giant office building.

#380079 - 12/19/11 06:38 PM Re: Remembering things that didnt happen?? [Re: onlyakid]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
I sometimes remember things differently than others, but I don't think I recall memories of events that didn't happen. Sorry, bro. Maybe someone else has, though?

#380088 - 12/19/11 08:35 PM Re: Remembering things that didnt happen?? [Re: TheBobcatAgain]
Survivinguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Ditto to TheBobcatAgain - I might remember things differently than others but nothing that didn't happen at all. And it makes me wonder why, just because someone else doesn't remember it at all, does their lack of a recollection mean, your recollection is false?

My mom has said she didn't recall ever leaving my brother and I alone with my dad but I know for a fact he had 100s of times alone with me and I recall times she stayed with her mother or sister or times that he took me on "special trips".

I'd suggest that if there's things you remember that no one else remembers - it might just be you remember things differently from them. Now if you've experienved memory loss before or a head trauma or had some kind of a psychological disorder - maybe their memories or recollections are better than yours - otherwise I'd say your memories are the most important.

============================================
I have to survive and I hope to thrive.

Alumni Dahlonega WoR May 2010
Alumni Sequoia WoR March 2012

#380096 - 12/19/11 09:23 PM Re: Remembering things that didnt happen?? [Re: Survivinguy]
jls Offline

I remember something very strange from when I was very young, maybe five or six. We were driving on a freeway at night through the city and I saw what looked like a giant glowing rock passing through the sky at a high speed, but not so fast that I couldn't follow it with my eyes. I recall being quite astonished by this sight and kept excitedly telling my parents to look too but they saw nothing and didn't understand what I said I was seeing. Today I question whether I imagined it but at the time I had no doubt it was real.

#380693 - 12/26/11 01:43 AM Re: Remembering things that didnt happen?? [Re: jls]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Turns out my brother does remember this, thank God.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.