Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#379701 - 12/16/11 08:41 AM Sandusky Shower Defense?
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Sandusky attorney launches ‘proper shower technique’ defense
Posted by John Taylor on December 15, 2011, 1:37 PM EST
Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky and his wife Dottie arrive for a preliminary hearing at Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte AP

With each passing day, this Jerry Sandusky rabbit hole continues to get deeper and darker. And a whole helluva lot more disturbing.

In an interview with WHTM-TV, attorney Karl Rominger, the newest member of the former Penn State defensive coordinator’s defense team, offered up an interesting — and creepy — explanation as to why Sandusky showered alone with boys as young as 10 years old he had met through his Second Mile charity.

“Some of these kids don’t have basic hygiene skills,” Rominger told the television station, presumably with a straight face throughout. “Teaching a person to shower at the age of 12 or 14 sounds strange to some people, but people who work with troubled youth will tell you there are a lot of juvenile delinquents and people who are dependent who have to be taught basic life skills like how to put soap on their body.”

(In the interest of fairness, we’re going to assume Mr. Rominger is a real attorney with a degree and everything and not a well-executed plant from The Onion.)

In an apparent effort to bolster this latest defense tactic, Rominger noted during the interview that his college cross-country coach often showered with the team. Of course, Rominger was neither 10 years old nor alone when these showers took place, so it’s unclear what his college experience has to do with his client’s situation.

Sandusky has admitted in previous interviews that he showered with boys and engaged in horse-play with them while showering, although he did concede that he “shouldn’t have showered with those kids.” In the original 40-count indictment against Sandusky, a witness alleged to have seen the retired assistant sodomizing a 10-year-old boy in the shower of Penn State’s football building in 2002.

His answer to — or more specifically, the hesitation in answering — the question posed during his interview with Bob Costas of whether he was sexually attracted to young boys was the final nail in the coffin of public opinion.

Rominger seems to think Sandusky’s lack of eloquence, rather than his alleged actions, is working against his client.

“The problem is if you’re an innocent person who’s not articulate, you’re not going to come across well, but you’re still innocent,” Rominger said. “A guilty person who is very articulate might come across innocent. So it’s not a fair fight.”

Earlier this week, Sandusky waived his right to a preliminary hearing in which he likely would’ve faced at least some of his 10 alleged victims.

UPDATED 5:57 p.m. ET: If backpedaling were an Olympic event, Rominger would be the prohibitive gold-medal favorite at the 2012 London games. The following is comes from the Associated Press.

“Rominger said in a statement Thursday that he only was giving a hypothetical example of why a person might shower with an adolescent. He noted he never said Sandusky touched boys in a shower.”

I’m no lawyer, and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but my legal advice to the lawyer would be to shut the hell up on all fronts. His mileage may vary, however.

#379709 - 12/16/11 10:08 AM Re: Sandusky Shower Defense? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
pluckmemory Offline

This latest ploy by Sandusky's lawyers is just plain lunacy!

#379710 - 12/16/11 10:13 AM Re: Sandusky Shower Defense? [Re: pluckmemory]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
They are indeed grasping. And lawyers normally tell their clients to shut up and stop talking, but someone needs to tell these lawyers to shut up and stop talking.

#379712 - 12/16/11 10:23 AM Re: Sandusky Shower Defense? [Re: EGL]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I just read McQueary's statements in court at Curly and Schultz preliminary hearing. I was sick when he described seeing Sandusky with his hands around the boys waist and the boy's hands on the shower wall. It seems so vivid and now to me, I felt like throwing up--how could he walk away and let the boy be brutalized by Sandusky?

#379740 - 12/16/11 04:27 PM Re: Sandusky Shower Defense? [Re: KMCINVA]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Attorney Amendola said he located "Victim 2," the unidentified boy McQueary saw in the shower, and the guy says there was no rape. Well, as we all know, there's more than one reason a guy might say that... but meanwhile, has the PROSECUTOR talked to the guy? Has Amendola (who, with his client's assistance, apparently found Victim 2 in a matter of days after the first GJ presentment) told the DA who Victim 2 is? If Victim 2 told the DA (who would insist on a statement under oath) that the shower thing didn't happen, I suspect the DA would have to drop those charges. Hasn't happened yet.

John

#379741 - 12/16/11 04:40 PM Re: Sandusky Shower Defense? [Re: unhappycamper]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

how would anyone know who victim 2 really is? McQueary did not identify him, so how did Amendola find him? Sandusky gave his name--if so he showed with multiple boys according to his own words.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.