Love it, Limit!
Reminds me of the first batch of waffles I ever made. I was 9 or 10 and it was the morning of my parent's anniversary. I got up real early in my jammies, pulled out the Sunbeam waffle iron, read the mix instructions and poured in the batter. Once it started cooking, I ran upstairs, jumped on their bed and, bouncing up and down to wake them up, joyously cried, "Waffles!"
My dad immediately looked at me, then my mom, and said flatly, "What's that burning smell?"
They ran down to the kitchen with me in pursuit. Smoke was coming out of the waffle iron, and no one could open it - the lid was stuck shut. It took my mom and I holding down the sides of the waffle iron while my dad pounded up on the handle of the lid with a hammer to finally open it and extract the waffle-shaped charcoal briquets inside.
I later learned that I never used anything to pre-coat the grids. Fortunately, after cooling then reheating the grid with PAM, the subsequent batches that morning were wonderful.
That illustrates a general rule of cooking that haunts me to this day (and I cook a LOT): the first batch of ANY new recipe you make should be considered "experimental."
That sounds incredibly similar to an incident my sister and I had when we were growing up. Our parents were stuck late at work, so we thought we'd surprise them by having supper ready for them when they got home. We decided "Breakfast for Dinner" would be the easiest, so my sister was going to make hash browns, and I was going to make waffles.
My sister was convinced that hash browns would make their own grease, so she didn't put any butter in the skillet before tossing the potatoes on there. Needless to say, they began to stick to the skillet and burn quite quickly. In the meantime, I made the same mistake as you with the waffle iron, resulting in the waffles sticking to the iron and subsequently beginning to burn.
We quickly realized that supper was a catastrophe, so my sister sent her boyfriend to go pick up a pizza. Unfortunately, we had just had a heavy rainfall, and his car got stuck in the yard as he was trying to pull out of the driveway.
When my dad got home, the house was full of smoke, my sister was scraping burnt potatoes off a skillet, while I was trying to scrape burnt waffles off the waffle iron, and there were two sets of deep ruts in the yard from where my sister's boyfriend had gotten stuck. Needless to say, he was rather surprised!