Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63234 Topics
442181 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#379538 - 12/15/11 02:34 AM Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files"
Undefeated Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Here's an article about the Boy Scouts' secret Perversion Files:
Six boxes of documents may reveal decades of sexual abuse of young boys by troop leaders.

#379555 - 12/15/11 08:25 AM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: Undefeated]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Hmm, the BSA people who knew about these files called them the "Perversion Files"? Kind of tells the story, right there.

And the files were last presented in court in the 1980's? There have been plenty of molesting-Scoutmaster scandals since then. What were BSA saving the files for?

Sigh, is anyone surprised?

John

#379583 - 12/15/11 01:38 PM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: unhappycamper]
Undefeated Offline

John,

It's my understanding from an ABC News video I saw on YouTube and this article, that the BSA "perversion files" were presented in court last year in Portland, OR for the first time ever. The man was molested in the 1980's.

#379602 - 12/15/11 04:39 PM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: Undefeated]
unhappycamper Offline

The article says:

>> The only other time the documents are believed to have been presented at a trial was in the 1980s in Virginia. <<

So a lot of other cases have come and gone while the files just sat. I wonder if the current episode (which occurred in the 80's) is in the Perversion Files.....

#379629 - 12/15/11 06:59 PM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: unhappycamper]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I thought the BSA was making efforts to prevent this. That they had a problem, but they tried to fix it. And were more selective now about Troop Leaders, or whatever they are called.

I can't remember now.

#379636 - 12/15/11 08:17 PM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: Disappointed]
unhappycamper Offline

A friend had two sons in the Boy Scouts, and he said their unit had a "two deep" policy, i.e., they always had two adults present with the boys. Evidently not all BSA units do that.

John

#379637 - 12/15/11 08:20 PM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: Disappointed]
Undefeated Offline

I think things are better now. However, perps are so clever, I don't think there is any way to prevent all CSA in an organization like that. I have read that the BSA now have things in the Scout Handbook, to make boys and parents more aware of how to prevent CSA. Also, I read that they have a rule that adults are never supposed to be alone with a boy. Difficult to enforce, I would think. Nothing was done to "fix" the problem for decades after they became aware of the problem. The "fixes" are just in the past few years.

#379638 - 12/15/11 08:22 PM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: unhappycamper]
Undefeated Offline

Originally Posted By: unhappycamper
The article says:

>> The only other time the documents are believed to have been presented at a trial was in the 1980s in Virginia. <<

So a lot of other cases have come and gone while the files just sat. I wonder if the current episode (which occurred in the 80's) is in the Perversion Files.....

Pathetic, huh? I had missed that in the article. ADD reader here. LOL smile

#379677 - 12/16/11 02:10 AM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: Undefeated]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
There was a legal proceeding in Sacramento, CA in which the boy scout records were subpoenaed. My source talked about the large amount of the records produced in the subpoena. I have a news clipping to this effect. It may have been as much as 10 years ago. If it's important to anybody, I'll try to find the reference in my files.

Puffer

#379692 - 12/16/11 06:59 AM Re: Boy Scouts' Secret "Perversion Files" [Re: pufferfish]
VirtualBman Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dayton, OH
This does not surprise me at all. The BSA is an arm of the Catholic Church. Not directly of course, but they still teach the same values, guilt and secrecy. I was an alter boy and a scout, I can say that there was not much done to protect me in either organization. The two deep policy would go a long way in preventing, but it seems so hard to find just one parent with the time and energy, let alone two.

Thanks for the link undefeated. Take care Brothers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.