Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
3 registered (YYZGIRL, Obi, GT13568), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442062 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#379238 - 12/13/11 09:54 AM The Highly Sensitive Person. Dr Elaine Aron
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
"Every social group needs it's sensitive person to balance those equally wonderful folks.., test pilots, ambulance drivers, soldiers and sales managers." She refers to these as those who process less deeply and behave with "decisive boldness", or impulsive lack of thought. HSP's, when confident and assertive, means decisions we make are less likely to be wrong within families, children, or about when to call out the army on a national scale.

I am reading this book with the hope that I can find a new guide, a guide that helps me to hone my particular traits into dynamic skills, versus trying to learn how to be decisively bold, a trait I am not comfortable with and reject as a decision making tool.

Sam

#379264 - 12/13/11 11:38 AM Re: The Highly Sensitive Person. Dr Elaine Aron [Re: SamV]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
I picked this book up at the used bookstore...(i have yet to read it).

It is no secret that I wear my heart on my sleeves like my mom...

"It is nothing personal, it is just business"...funny how business often values ruthless people that often lack in the sensitivity dept...

Of course there is always a flip side...(which is not my strong point).

That is why this book is still on my bookshelf waiting to be read...

Boys don't cry (Plumb)

island

#379270 - 12/13/11 12:20 PM Re: The Highly Sensitive Person. Dr Elaine Aron [Re: 1islandboy]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I'll have to look at this at some point. My Therapist once told me that I was more connected to and in touch with my feelings than any other man she had ever met or counseled.

Yes I'm sensitive. My heart aches at times.

So I'm a freak among men and just don't really fit in with those "normal" fellows out there.

#379368 - 12/13/11 11:19 PM Re: The Highly Sensitive Person. Dr Elaine Aron [Re: JustScott]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for your replies, island and Scot, I am just reading this book and I have some additional thoughts of notes that I wrote down;
The highly sensitive person; notes from the book h s p
1 highly sensitive people could have mutual respect or mutual disappointment
2 sensitivity does express the neutral fact of greater receptivity to stimulation
3 optimized h s p s when feeling good are more alert to the subtle than non hsps
4. When over aroused we are overwhelmed frazzled and need to be alone
5. Non-hsp can be more understanding of others in highly chaotic situations
6 4 things we need
1 self knowledge
2 re framing
3 healing
4 more and less out in the world and both ok
7 solid self esteem decreases over arousal in new situations
8 the central trait of hsp is feeling flawed
9 supporters want to protect me and enjoy my imagination empathy creativity and insight
10 hearing and saying "probably" and "maybe" is appreciated by hsp's
11 hsp are pioneers in that our awareness helps us to see first what needs to be done
12. Talking about hsp or surviving abuse is like learning a new language and others may feel concerned or left out ask for their patience the concept will settle in and I will be talking about it less
13 trust hsp intuition and do what feels right

#379371 - 12/13/11 11:26 PM Re: The Highly Sensitive Person. Dr Elaine Aron [Re: SamV]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Island I haven't even gotten past the preface I'm learning so much. (((Scot))) you are not a freakin here your heart can break and it will be understood and supported.
Sam

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.