Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, Mr. Malaise, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63126 Topics
441431 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#285967 - 05/01/09 12:28 PM Re: Chosen [Re: petercorbett]
Tom Perry Offline

Loc: London
I am sorry that this post will mean so little to those outside the UK, however a revered broadcaster here Jon Snow, who introduced the film when it was screened on Channel 4, commented on the film earlier this week saying:

“Chosen has been one of the most important contributions Television has yet made to our social development, on a par with Cathy Come Home!”
Jon
JON SNOW

Whilst this will be meaningless to many readers, the Wikipedia entry for Cathy Come Home is truly fascinating and will help frame the significance of his comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Come_Home

Edited by Tom Perry (05/02/09 08:43 AM)

#286062 - 05/02/09 08:49 AM Re: Chosen [Re: Tom Perry]
Tom Perry Offline

There are some extremely interesting postings on the documentary website from survivors, parents of survivors, and others. The different directions from which these postings are made is striking.

They can be seen at the not exactly obvious link page of http://www.chosen.org.uk/comments

It is quite probable that a number of survivors will find these posts very helpful.

#286086 - 05/02/09 05:07 PM Re: Chosen [Re: Tom Perry]
Tom Perry Offline

The BAFTA presentation 'clip' has reappeared on the Chosen site.

It is worth seeing just for the message delivered by Alastair to the Secretary of State for Children Schools and Families - Mr Ed Balls, which has caused significant discomfort in his Ministry.

http://www.chosen.org.uk/watch_bafta_clip/

#286090 - 05/02/09 06:17 PM Re: Chosen [Re: Tom Perry]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Tom,

You are so right. And I would say that the importance of Chosen extends far beyond the domain of its specific subject - abuse in the English public (private) schools. My feeling is that with this recognition its impact will continue to grow.

So again, what a tribute to the courage and strength of three terribly harmed and betrayed boys who somehow made it through the dark days to become men capable of such an achievement. We are all in your debt.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#286126 - 05/03/09 08:22 AM Re: Chosen [Re: Tom Perry]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
I'm so glad to have been able to see that presentation Tom. Thank you for posting the link again.

I can imagine that Ed Balls, as well as his entire Ministry, is hoping that this will all just go away. Go away so that the government is not accountable for failing to see what has been going on, or for recognizing its abject failure to protect the children.

In Ontario, the laws were changed oh perhaps 10 years ago to make it an offence for anyone, not just professionals to fail to report their suspicions. I say suspicions as the requirement to have proof, or a belief of having proof was removed. The law applies to all people equally, and moreso to those in regular contact with children where failure to report can result not only in a conviction for the offence, but can also result in disciplinary action from what ever professioanl body governs their occupation, up to and including removing the ability to work. Having been in child welfare at that time, I can say that I am not aware of anyone ever beinng convicted of failure to report, but can say that a few professionals have had the credentials examined when they have failed to report. I'd be happy to discuss this legislation further if you'd like.

Thanks again for your update on the post.

My very best to Mark and Allistair as well as the entire production crew. Bloody marvelous!

Jim

#286751 - 05/08/09 01:21 PM Re: Chosen [Re: Geeders]
Tom Perry Offline

Further news update on the campaign to introduce a law to make it a statutory obligation on all schools to report all events of alleged abuse to the authorities.

Following Alastair's acceptance speech at the BAFTA's we were contacted by Teacher Tv which resulted in a televised interview which is being broadcast tonight. It is also available on the web

http://www.teachers.tv/news/33758

I do not know if there is a geographical limit - let's hope not.

At the end of Alastair's piece, Ed Balls the Secretary of State appears saying he "knew the film was going to win" almost making it sound as though it was his idea - cheeky prat.

But worse than that, and like many politicians, he misled the audience and suggested we were wrong to suggest there is no statutory obligation to report alleged abuse. We are absolutely correct let me tell you. What is more if a school fails to report abuse, there is no sanction on the institution. But it is now all out in the open - and Balls is looking edgy. The genie is out of the Government's counterfeit bottle. I am feeling quite chipper really - he is on the backfoot.

Tallyho!

Edited by Tom Perry (05/08/09 06:10 PM)

#291865 - 06/16/09 11:51 AM Re: Chosen [Re: Tom Perry]
Tom Perry Offline

Well I think this will probably be the last post I make on Male Survivor.org - and almost certainly the last post on Chosen. As Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore sang - 'now is the time to say goodbye!' But before I go there is something

NEWS

Last night Chosen won an RTS [Royal Television Society] award for Educational impact in Primetime. http://www.rts.org.uk/Info_page_two_pic_2_det.asp?art_id=7792&sec_id=3864 . The pleasing part of winning the award is that it was presented by Prof. Tanya Byron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanya_Byron who is well versed on the subject of child sexual abuse. She said "I am delighted Chosen has won because the film is so powerful and so important."

The documentary is likely to be put on pay per view online shortly but meantime can still be seen from the Chosen website www.chosen.org.uk

Meanwhile I am concentrating on seeking change to the statutory framework in England. Progress is being made - and pressure on the Government is mounting.

A bientot.

T

#374238 - 11/04/11 05:51 AM Re: Chosen [Re: Tom Perry]
Syfer Offline

Loc: Europe
I've been aware of this film for a while but hesitated pressing the 'watch' button for months. A week ago I settled down, clicked onto the website and went through to the 'WATCH' button as I had done maybe six times before but this time - clicked.

Its like jumping from an aeroplane. Everything says don't but when you land you feel good. Very little of the film is easy. Watching it is an intimate experience. What was said opened doors. I'll be watching again and I wish I'd 'clicked' sooner.

#378806 - 12/09/11 09:52 AM Re: Chosen [Re: Syfer]
Syfer Offline

Loc: Europe
An article I noticed in the press earlier this week : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-16037078

The school mentioned in the article is Caldicott which was the subject of the documentary. On the Chosen website the film has been 'suspended' and sales of DVD's stopped with a statement explaining why.

http://www.chosen.org.uk/watch_film/

#378819 - 12/09/11 12:05 PM Re: Chosen [Re: Syfer]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Haven't watch it, would like to, anywhere else got it online? I can wait for it to be available again too.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.