Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#378114 - 12/04/11 01:33 PM Two By Four Breathing
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
While many have a version of this core exercise, it is important to understand the importance of consistent use of any form of this that works for the survivor.

2X4 breathing is a self awareness, calming, positive technique designed to create inner peace. This allows a pause, a space for us to reason, to consider the events at hand and determine if what we are reacting to is in the past or a current issue that needs to be overcome.

Here it comes;
The discomfort, the uneasy sensation of uncertainty, disorder, confusion, panic. From a thought in a moment to fear, then defensive reactions, then the desire to shutdown, or attack.

Breathe. But how? A slow intake through the nose, counting "one thousand one, one thousand two". The membrane in the nose dries out, it feels cool and is a tactile sensation of immediate awareness. You are breathing into the abdomen, it is the area just below the ribs. It is a natural breath, extending the upper stomach as you breathe in, straightening the back. All in two slow seconds.
The exhale. Pursed lips, like using a mechanical whistle, or gripping a coin in the mouth. A small opening clenched tightly, then.., release. "One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four." Complete release of air, emptying the lungs. (When this is practiced, you may find that just thinking about this exercise brings a calming relief, I feel it writing this).

Another pause. Then repeat. This step in the process will take about 20 seconds, and is a powerful tool to help the survivor reason in situations that are triggering or overwhelming. The exercise will take about a minute.

Don't forget to post the results!

Sam

#378233 - 12/05/11 07:05 AM Re: Two By Four Breathing [Re: SamV]
limit Offline

Edited by limit (12/17/11 05:39 PM)

#378275 - 12/05/11 02:25 PM Re: Two By Four Breathing [Re: limit]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is difficult to do much at 120 beats per minute, phew, that is really moving.

I need my brain to not concentrate, that would be great,
Sam

Edited by sasuva (12/07/11 08:37 AM)

#378290 - 12/05/11 03:50 PM Re: Two By Four Breathing [Re: SamV]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
My, fraternal brothers.

Slightly off the subject. Deep breathing was taught to me at those WoR's that i participated in, along with the VA.

I get my mental & physical health care from the VA almost exclusively.

I was in the original group of individuals accepted to participate in a new program associated with sexual abuse. It was going to be a group 12 week PTSD mixed male & female. You didn't have to have been sexually abused while in the military in order to participate.
I was selected by them because I was sexually/emotionally abused as a young boy. Part of their criteria. The other part was because of my VA disability rating being over a certain percent, and they have to take complete care of me.

During this PTSD 12 week period, i went way too deep inside of myself. It got to a point where I was ready, willing & able to harm myself. They had always told me that if I ever have those thoughts do not hesitate to call their suicide hot-line. Well I did. I was locked up for my own protection in their mental health facility. While I was in their care I was given compassion, understanding & love from the staff there. They gave 100+% of themselves, not only for me, but from my military brothers who were in that ward with me. They had kept in communication with me for a month following my release either by me going there or they in a telephone call.

For me, they have taken very good care of me. They may even have saved me from myself. As I'm still here.

Surely off the breathing subject, but for my military brothers out there if you have enough of a disability rating perhaps this is just another tool at your disposal.

Heal well, my brothers, heal well.

"I will take that lost boys hand, and I will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity." As he is me.

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#378397 - 12/06/11 06:57 AM Re: Two By Four Breathing [Re: petercorbett]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

It sounds like you had a great experience, Pete, thank you for sharing. Calming breathing is just one of the tools in our "tool box" that can help us overcome the extremes of abuse, but it is by far the most immediate resource we have to begin to find balance in our chaotic, panicked thoughts and feelings.
Sam

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.