Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, caesar14, 1islandboy), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443292 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#378148 - 12/04/11 05:08 PM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: limit]
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
You sound soooo cool Limit! You have an excellent sense
of humour.
I am a slob! I never cleaned my apartment.
And i think i have a spending addiction. I also gained like
50 lbs. in 18 months b/c of an injury and waiting for the
ONE day it all to come together.

mmm. now isnt that special? !!!

G

#378180 - 12/04/11 08:10 PM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: Sterling]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Limit, this is hilarious, thanks for the laugh man.

I have a great recipe for the deep fryer, pizza! I take pizza dough, add pie sauce, cheese and pre-cooked toppings, then fold it like a taco, pinch the ends and "pin" the opening with a tooth picks. Drop it in the fryer till the dough is nicely brown.
Enjoy!

PS Watch the toothpicks, they are sharp!

#378210 - 12/05/11 12:03 AM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: SamV]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Tut, tut

That's not a weight watcher's menu.

Puffer

#378296 - 12/05/11 04:24 PM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: limit]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California USA
That sounds yummy can I have some LOL

#378714 - 12/08/11 02:44 PM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: Chase Eric]
Logan81 Offline

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: Chase Eric
Love it, Limit!

Reminds me of the first batch of waffles I ever made. I was 9 or 10 and it was the morning of my parent's anniversary. I got up real early in my jammies, pulled out the Sunbeam waffle iron, read the mix instructions and poured in the batter. Once it started cooking, I ran upstairs, jumped on their bed and, bouncing up and down to wake them up, joyously cried, "Waffles!"

My dad immediately looked at me, then my mom, and said flatly, "What's that burning smell?"

They ran down to the kitchen with me in pursuit. Smoke was coming out of the waffle iron, and no one could open it - the lid was stuck shut. It took my mom and I holding down the sides of the waffle iron while my dad pounded up on the handle of the lid with a hammer to finally open it and extract the waffle-shaped charcoal briquets inside.

I later learned that I never used anything to pre-coat the grids. Fortunately, after cooling then reheating the grid with PAM, the subsequent batches that morning were wonderful.

That illustrates a general rule of cooking that haunts me to this day (and I cook a LOT): the first batch of ANY new recipe you make should be considered "experimental."

That sounds incredibly similar to an incident my sister and I had when we were growing up. Our parents were stuck late at work, so we thought we'd surprise them by having supper ready for them when they got home. We decided "Breakfast for Dinner" would be the easiest, so my sister was going to make hash browns, and I was going to make waffles.

My sister was convinced that hash browns would make their own grease, so she didn't put any butter in the skillet before tossing the potatoes on there. Needless to say, they began to stick to the skillet and burn quite quickly. In the meantime, I made the same mistake as you with the waffle iron, resulting in the waffles sticking to the iron and subsequently beginning to burn.

We quickly realized that supper was a catastrophe, so my sister sent her boyfriend to go pick up a pizza. Unfortunately, we had just had a heavy rainfall, and his car got stuck in the yard as he was trying to pull out of the driveway.

When my dad got home, the house was full of smoke, my sister was scraping burnt potatoes off a skillet, while I was trying to scrape burnt waffles off the waffle iron, and there were two sets of deep ruts in the yard from where my sister's boyfriend had gotten stuck. Needless to say, he was rather surprised! laugh

#379365 - 12/13/11 11:11 PM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: Logan81]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here's my first cooking experience:

I was still in 7th grade. I may have been almost 13 years old. Perhaps I was starting to get teenage hunger. My Mom was too busy to fix anything to eat. I loved oatmeal cookies and so I decided to make my own.

I found her recipe for oatmeal cookies on a 4 x 6 card. I put all the ingredients together in the mixing bowl. but I couldn't find baking powder. So I thought I would use a substitute. The closest thing I could find was baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)! I used that as the substitute.

The cookies came out of the oven looking fine. However, the baking soda had given them a very bitter taste. eek I put them in a lunch bag and took them to school, thinking I would eat them anyway. After school I offered them to another boy on the playground. He took one bite and in disgust threw it across the playground as far as he could. frown

Puffer

#379586 - 12/15/11 01:55 PM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: pufferfish]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
2 funni Puffer!

#379676 - 12/16/11 01:46 AM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: Disappointed]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have another "cooking" story:

When I was about 9-years-old, I made a fleet of toy ships by using halves of English walnut shells. I put a mast and sail in each shell by using a small wad of clay supporting a toothpick. Then I attached a small sail to each mast. I wished each ship to have a cargo. I added a small load of salt or sugar to each walnut shell. I hid them behind books in the room I slept in.

While I was at school, my mother discovered my fleet. She must have tasted the cargo of one of the ships, which contained sugar. She didn't want to waste the stuff I used as cargo, but she apparently didn't realize that a bunch of it was salt. She made a batch of peanut brittle using my cargo. That evening she showed us her trophy! She pulled the peanut brittle out of the oven and urged us to taste it. It was extremely salty peanut brittle. Uck! sick She had to throw it all out after all.

Puffer

#379706 - 12/16/11 09:28 AM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: pufferfish]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
sweet gesture!

#379737 - 12/16/11 04:01 PM Re: i suck at cooking [Re: Disappointed]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Puffer and Logan - I was literally LMAO at your stories! Thanks laugh

Click my pic to see why I'm here

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.