Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, GoHomeAgain, WalkingBuffalo), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64168 Topics
447777 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#375700 - 11/17/11 10:07 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: Still]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

40,000 undergrads at State College. In in 6 men, 1 in 4 women. Numbers say many students undertand the issue. Many more are learning as a result...
-----Original Message-----
From: Penn State NewsWire [mailto:L-NEWS-WIRE@lists.psu.edu] On Behalf Of Penn State Newswire
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:05 PM
To: L-NEWS-WIRE@LISTS.PSU.EDU
Subject: Penn State Daily Newswire (11.16.2011)

WPSU to air call-in program about child sexual abuse

The National Center for the Victims of Crime estimates one in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually abused before their 18th birthday. Recent events at Penn State have sparked national attention around this issue, which is typically shrouded in silence and often unreported. How can society recognize child sexual abuse? What can people do to prevent it? And what resources are available to victims and their families?

Penn State Public Broadcasting and host Patty Satalia will explore this issue with a panel of experts in a special, one-hour, interactive program called "Confronting Child Sexual Abuse." The live call-in program will air at 9 p.m.
on Thursday, Nov. 17, on WPSU-TV and WPSU-FM. It will be simulcast on the Pennsylvania Cable Network (PCN) and at http://wpsu.org/live online.

Read the full story on Live: http://live.psu.edu/story/56374#nw1

#375880 - 11/18/11 09:04 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is the first note I received from PSU asking what isbeing done for the victims. They will keep hearing from me and many others no doubt....

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 06:31 PM
To: B Keith
Subject: RE: Special Edition -- Penn State Parents and Families Newswire (11.11.2011)

Keith,

I wanted to write and begin to address your question. I am very sorry it has taken this long; we are responding on the order messages were received.

Iím sure I can fully answer your questions, but I want to say that I think your advice to your students is spot on. The victims have to be our ultimate focus as community members as we examine policies, investigate what happened, make essential changes, etc.

From an institutional perspective, the Board of Trustees order of the internal investigation and President Ericksonís commitment to reviewing every policy are the two leading institutional efforts underway, though given that the scope of both efforts are large, I think it will be some time before we will see the far reaching results. More information about both of these efforts can be found on Penn State Live at http://live.psu.edu.

There have also been numerous small and large efforts by staff, alumni, and our wonderful students in the last 10 days. To name just a few:

∑ Candlelight vigil on Friday, which was a moving experience for all involved

∑ Blue Out and moment of silence at the game

∑ As of 2:30 today, $414,838 has been raised already for RAINN

∑ Today we were asked to participate in two student initiated efforts

o A Wall of Support effort on the steps of Old Main

o A letter writing campaign for the victims at the HUB

While I donít think this fully addresses your question, I hope this provides some current insight. I know we will all be watching to see what next steps are taken.

Finally, I wanted to let you know that our office is compiling all parent perspectives and sharing with appropriate university staff. We will be sure your message is sent on.

Sincerely,

Jenn

Jennifer , Ph.D.

Director, Penn State Parents Program

222 Boucke Building

University Park, PA 16802
www.parents.psu.edu

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 12:14 PM
To: Penn State Parents Program;
Subject: RE:Penn State Parents and Families Newswire (11.11.2011)

Jenn;

I'd like to understand plans PSU has underway to directly support the prevention of Child Abuse thorough both actions and donations. Likewise what is being done to directly support the known victims?

The Vigil was a great symbolic start, but so much more needs to be done in that regard.

I'm just another concerned parent but my message to our 2 under grads in State College has been to not forget that it is the boys/men who were abused who come first in all this.

Thanks.

#375887 - 11/18/11 09:57 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
This is great news! The entire student body and community didn't create the mess, but it's in their front yard... and they're working to clean it up. I'm sure many CSA survivors are gratified to hear this, especially those of us who got no help at all.

Tell your kids to keep the good works going when they're back at school! It's another step toward... Peace.

John

#376980 - 11/27/11 11:23 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: unhappycamper]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

My Penn Staters head back soon. Its tough as a survivor to engage with them on this but we did daily over their break. The kept going there with me.

Rumors tell them some classmates will get yanked out by parents, on campus interviews are being cancelled, job offers withdrawn. Not sure what is true or not but there will be a price to pay.

Good comes out of it too I'm sure. The awareness created is astonishing of course. It should not be at the expense of a terrible abusers crime and a cover up but we have to let good come from it all.

Last night 40+ freshman and sophomores partied as they often do at our home. Too many wanted to go there with me. But its so good this group of young adults from schools all over are focused on the horror of abuse and that they care.

This one pal of theirs is a frosh at American U recruited to play soccer. He sought me out with real conviction to talk about PSU. Last time I saw him was July this year while he was just sweetly cuddle with his high school girlfriend on our backyard deck. He's grown up a lot in a few months and so have many of his peers.

So yeah as bad as it is from my perspective as a Penn State parent goods coming too.

#376981 - 11/27/11 11:31 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
kb:

I hope those job interviewers and PSU parents (and your kids) haven't forgotten that it's ridiculous to blame "The PSU Community" for whatever this Sandusky did, and whatever various officials helped him cover up. Seems to me the reactions have been consistently negative and outraged, once the rest of "The PSU Community" found out about it.

Just hang in there--there's a bright enough spotlight on the whole affair that the state officials will have to do their jobs now and try for justice to the perps, and healing to the victims. Meanwhile, Peace to all of us MS's!

John

#377034 - 11/27/11 06:26 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: unhappycamper]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
There is every indication that the board of trustees intends to hide information, make false accusations against innocent parties, and whatever else it might take to protect themselves and other ranking culpable parties.

How dare I assert this?

Well, the have hired disgraced bungler Louis Freeh to perform a supposed internal investigation.
The same guy that brought obviously false accusations through the media against Richard Jewell despite the wealth of exhonorating evidence in the Olympic Bombing. Jewell, you recall was actually the hero of the incident, discovering the bomb and working to clear the area. Jewell died at only age 44, and stress from the long struggle under a shattered reputation was a contributing factor.

Louis Freeh is not a person you hire to perform an honest investigation, he is in a category with Mark Fuhrman. Freeh is your go to guy who will stay bought in a whitewash.

Penn State alumni should be deeply ashamed, and unequivocably demand the trustees back down from this transparent course.

#377040 - 11/27/11 07:01 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: MrEdd]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Ed, but that's not my point here so let me re-post my message as a Penn State Parent;

My Penn Staters head back soon. Its tough as a survivor to engage with them on this but we did daily over their break. The kept going there with me.

Rumors tell them some classmates will get yanked out by parents, on campus interviews are being cancelled, job offers withdrawn. Not sure what is true or not but there will be a price to pay.

Good comes out of it too I'm sure. The awareness created is astonishing of course. It should not be at the expense of a terrible abusers crime and a cover up but we have to let good come from it all.

Last night 40+ freshman and sophomores partied as they often do at our home. Too many wanted to go there with me. But its so good this group of young adults from schools all over are focused on the horror of abuse and that they care.

This one pal of theirs is a frosh at American U recruited to play soccer. He sought me out with real conviction to talk about PSU. Last time I saw him was July this year while he was just sweetly cuddling with his high school girlfriend on our backyard deck. He's grown up a lot in a few months and so have many of his peers.

So yeah as bad as it is from my perspective as a Penn State parent goods coming too.

#378240 - 12/05/11 08:23 AM PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Rigth now Penn State the students are focused on "THON", the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. http://www.thon.org/

THON is a weekend long dance marathon that fights pediatric cancer. It has raised $78mm in it's history. Their chant up there is "On our feet for 46 straight...we are Penn State".

Both our Penn Staters are in leadership roles. Our Sophmore son has had his own battles to fight as a young kid, and I suppose due to those experiences he's a committee lead working directly with famalies & kids fighting this disease. No way I could do what he is doing. Our Frosh Daughter landed a key assignment working direct with the dancers.

There is nothing unique about our 2 Penn Staters. I think they are typical of the students at Penn State, typical of bright young men and women on all campuses today. They drive us crazy constantly and make us proud always.

Sometimes it's so easy to find hurt in the world. Look around you and you can find a lot of good too, even at Penn State

#378258 - 12/05/11 11:33 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Keith,

You dont need to justify your family here, no more, friend....I know yous as good people, what else you need? wink

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#378260 - 12/05/11 11:37 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: Castle]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Castle there are 40,000 good people up there. That is the point.

Thanks for letting me clarify it.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.