Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (HD001, whiteflag, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63231 Topics
442172 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#376560 - 11/23/11 02:40 AM Re: Beware of a therapist who [Re: phoenix321]
NewSummer Offline

Loc: Surrey BC
My worst T was christian, so speaking of being gay was not an option. I was labled "addicted"..to men. Yes, I was rather permiscuous, and acting out far to often to be healthy..but truth is, I was gay. Period...and after all our sessions and years later all I remember him saying, that I still believe today is " You are not very good at predicting the future, are you?" He never got to the core issue of CSA. He was more concerned with me being an addict.
This T failed me almost completely...
I am starting with another T tomorrow and looking forward to dealing with yet another layer of pain. I will be a better man for it.

#376566 - 11/23/11 09:27 AM Re: Beware of a therapist who [Re: NewSummer]
NewSummer Offline

Loc: Surrey BC
I was not an addict. I am gay. He was incapable of seeing past his belief and there for failed as a therapist.

#376571 - 11/23/11 10:04 AM Re: Beware of a therapist who [Re: phoenix321]
ksequoia Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Wow, guys. Looks like I need to wear battle armor for next Monday. I'll still keep my hopes high and expectations low. All of your points are good ones, and I thank you.

K.-

Edited by ksequoia (11/23/11 10:05 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#376577 - 11/23/11 10:46 AM Re: Beware of a therapist who [Re: ksequoia]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I was fortunate-I seemed to have found an excellent therapist on the first try. He was open, concerned that we could we together, solicited questions, concerns issues and I left feeling comfortable. I think your comfort level will be a good indication on how the session went. Good luck and if not right for you, there are other therapists out there.

#376583 - 11/23/11 11:52 AM Re: Beware of a therapist who [Re: pufferfish]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Originally Posted By: ksequoia
Thanks for the links. I reviewed the info. How on earth to people pay these outrageous therapy rates? Good God!

That is a real problem. Will we feel abused over again by the fee schedules of the therapists?

Notice there are big differences in fees charged. Some charitable organizations will subsidize all or part of the fee. I've seen a therapist who is part of the ministry of a large church. There are several such churches here in this town. Sometimes there are services provide by governmental enterprises. Some people have insurance plans which pay pretty well. Usually insurance only pays part, and it will pay for some types of expenses and not others. Some can go to therapy as part of their previous military experience.

Puffer

I definitely get what your saying. I have no problem with a therapist charging a fee. The problem I have is with wonder if the therapist is only seeing me because they get paid to. $2-3 a minute basically. Think about it. Lots of things cost $2-3 a minute. In those other situations, you are getting a value. With a therapist, you have no idea if they are good, if they suck, if they know anything about your problem, etc. Perhaps therapists should not charge for the 1st visit or charge an office visit of $50. That way both the patient and the therapist can see if it would work out. No strings attached.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#376585 - 11/23/11 12:03 PM Re: Beware of a therapist who [Re: phoenix321]
ksequoia Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Excellent Idea. There are a few that offer a free consultation. They're the exception to the norm.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.