Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442054 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#375055 - 11/12/11 02:53 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: JustScott]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

If money alone would stop abuse wouldn't that be great. Sadly we can't take back abuse. Money for victims might be nice but some of have it and I'm note sure we are more happy.

Nope that's not my point. If attention and symbolic efforts can help educate and help, bring it all on.

Scott a whole lot of young people out by you learned some tough lessons this week. Its good to see they are focusing on efforts to support the victims. I'm not surprised at all but that's real good.

#375069 - 11/12/11 09:37 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: JustScott]
mickeyg1375 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I woke this morning to see the report of the vigil, and it did my heart good. The look of humility on the faces of those students was priceless. I felt as if they were standing up and saying to you, me, and all of our brothers and sisters everywhere "Yes, somebody does care, we do!". Those are awesome young people. I won't call them kids because they are so much more mature than I ever was at that age.

#375080 - 11/12/11 10:44 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: mickeyg1375]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

In all of this I can only hope good can be made to come out of it, through awareness, through reformed reporting policies, etc.

I guess I find myself skeptical and always expect the worst and most shallow of people. <:-) One of those hold overs I guess. You get so used to seeing the worst of humanity that it's hard to imagine that there might be some good left.

#375081 - 11/12/11 11:08 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: JustScott]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Scott I'm with you.

Hope is the real deal.

And this week right in your own backyard students at your state University are the ones who can do something good.

For me, I'm glad 2 of those students are mine. Real glad.

That's my point all week. Let all the attention to abuse now convert to good.

There was a monster at Penn State and he had freinds. F*ck them!

Now let all the good people up there do good.....

#375086 - 11/12/11 11:31 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

A testament to you--2 children standing up for what is right--excellent job. I agree there are always bad with the good but unfortunately the damage of the bad can outweigh the good. I hope this raises awareness and programs to help those abused. The entire lot who knew of the abuse should be held accountable. Let us hope PSU does right and sets up a fund to help those abused by Sandusky and those that were abused because no one did anything. I am so overwhelmed by the entire extent of the abuse. I feel their pain and for myself it triggers memories and flashbacks. I have not been able to sleep but I feel better knowing there are wonderful young people willing to stand up and help the abused.

#375088 - 11/12/11 12:10 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
As the saying goes, "money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the bills." Money won't stop CSA in State College or anywhere else, but at this point how can Sandusky's victims get professional counseling unless somebody pays for it? Apparently they were all from "disadvantaged" families, hence their recruitment through "The Second Mile" outfit.

The entire university, township and county aren't responsible for what Sandusky (and his enablers) did, but their community has a lot of bad press because of him. It would benefit the entire community if the compassionate people who held the candlelight vigil raised some funds to take care of the young men who were abused. I bet they'd get contributions from all over the country.

Somebody way smarter than me said that a society's strength should be judged by the way it treats its weakest members. The survivors who participate in this website know how we were treated--why not try a different approach this time? Peace.

John

#375094 - 11/12/11 12:59 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: unhappycamper]
Anthony39 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
John,

I disagree with you in that the entire University is responsible. There is a flaw in the chain of command and their ethical sense of responsibility to their students and to those kids. This went on for many years, and it appears that they are much more preocupied in preserving their reputation than they are of the welfare of those kids who were abused. In my opinion, the University should pay for all of the therapies and medical expenses encurred by the victims not through raising funds by the public. A small gesture like that would go a long way to start reparation to those kids.
Tony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg

#375095 - 11/12/11 01:05 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: unhappycamper]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
There was a monster at Penn State and he had freinds. F*ck them!

That's my attitude all the press on anything but the victims and the help they need. I'm sick of anything that puts the focus on anything else.

Yes, money can't fix the problem, but if I was in charge of what PSU does with their money, I'd offer to pay for any/all counseling. I'd offer to help those families in anything they needed. Hell, they should also be extending FULL scholarships to them for ANY college they want to attend.

It doesn't heal it or help it or fix it, but I've seen some survivors come through the bulk of their healing insanely quickly because they had full support from their families and friends. That support makes a HUGE difference. I'm one of those people who had crazy support. My wife is still with me and we're closer now than ever. My church has helped me and gave me support, including the money to attend training so I could bring a ministry to my church and community that focuses directly on childhood abuse of all types.

Support more than money etc is what is needed. I hope everyone at PSU can shift the focus to where it should be.

#375098 - 11/12/11 01:54 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: JustScott]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm with you all on this. Every bit of it. And the men abused up there are in their teens and twenties and should do it all now. They are calling Victim #8 the hero because he brought those corrupt bastards down. He is a hero. He's 18.

Odds are some of the victims are enrolled at PSU. 40000 students in that small isolated town. 1 in 4 women. 1 in 6 men.

Hurts me to think about it like it hurts you. Hurts me seeing it as a parent too.

let something good happen. Its long overdue.

Peace.

Keith

#375104 - 11/12/11 03:18 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Look at the Nightline report. I think that they have changed their view:

http://abcnews.go.com/watch/nightline/SH...tims-mom-speaks

Puffer

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.