Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#375126 - 11/12/11 09:29 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: pufferfish]
mickeyg1375 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Reports show that the football program brings in over $70 million per year, with over $50 million being profit. If this holds true, then there is no reason that the football program alone couldn't establish a fund to pay for the therapy for the victims.

#375296 - 11/14/11 03:25 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: mickeyg1375]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Parents are getting mutiple emails a day on what is taking place on campus. I've asked they share what will be done emotionally and financially in support of victims.

No answer yet but here was today's email to parents.

Yeah, of course my Penn Staters were there Friday night.

-----Original Message-----
From: Penn State NewsWireOn Behalf Of Penn State Newswire
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 2:44 PM
To: L-NEWS-WIRE@LISTS.PSU.EDU
Subject: Penn State Daily Newswire (11.14.2011)

Penn State Daily Newswire - 11.14.2011

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thousands attend student-organized candlelight vigil

Thousands of Penn State students and members of the Penn State community gathered on the Old Main lawn on Friday night for a Candlelight Vigil for Abused Victims. The vigil, organized by students, was intended to have the Penn State community 'come together as the family we are and show our unconditional support and sympathy for these victims,' according to the Facebook page created for the event.

Read the full story on Live: http://live.psu.edu/story/56337#nw1

#375298 - 11/14/11 03:52 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I hope the unconditional support is not blurred by legal actions of PSU to minimize their exposure to the tragedy. I do hope your question receives an answer.

#375299 - 11/14/11 04:37 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: KMCINVA]
GeorgeMartin Offline

Loc: USA
"Vigils and moments of silence" with candles in a cup or in hand, are "nice" but what, may I politely inquire, does this really honestly do for the victims .... of these sexually deviant deceitful twisted people, like Sandusky, do when the "hype" is all over and the victims have to go home to deal with their trauma's up close and personal in their minds and spirits?

It really bothers me that Penn State'er's can seemingly assume $20k dollars "for abuse" is going to cover the loss, the heartache, the trauma caused by Sandusky to multiple victims, probably some who haven't been stepping forward (for obvious reasons) yet.

"Unconditional support and sympathy" for the victims? What does that really do, honestly for the victims? It kind'a seems like a mockery. Maybe I am totally wrong here in that conclusion, but as a victim of abuse, I am sick and tired of "I'm sorry" etc coming from those who weren't "there" and couldn't really give a damn about abuse dynamis or issues, the trauma's, the PTSD, the headaches, the depressive episodes, the mental hauntings of csa etc. Would $20k or even X amt. of Millions really resolve a victim's dynamics of abuse? Or does money actually help resolve abuse from happening in the first place?

It seems to me Penn State'er's supporters and allies coughed up $20k and that is 'nice' of everyone, really it is; but to me, it seemed like Corporate Sponsors to Penn State took in over $70 million per year, with over $50 million being profit which was and is to them such a high priority, way before the supposed "unconditional support and sympathy" of those harmed by this whole disgusting mess at Penn State.

I guess I don't understand this whole candle light vigil and unconditional support and sympathy business, when that is all after-the-fact of some child being abused sexually by some greedy, narrow minded, sexual offending pedophile, and the inactions of anyone involved thereafter, to even bother to call the Police about Sandusky. It was a ocverup and lack of moral obligation to the victims of Sanduskys abuses, all in the name of Penn State's Reputation, and their Corporate Sponsors and all of their greed, to my thinking.

It's little but much, after the fact. Those people all of them, that were involved ought to be incarcerated, not standing around their front dooryards, smiling and waving, while the victims and their loved one's have had and will have to, in future, deal with so much, because of the abuses endured.

You can bet Penn State has turned on the Spin Cycle for sure to protect their financial interests first and foremost before anything else.

#375300 - 11/14/11 04:38 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: KMCINVA]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
This whole situation is a horror and a tragedy. I think Joepa was a good man but this time he let his loyalty to this school and his athletic program affect his judgement. He already knew this sandusky guy was bad and when he received that report he opted to not get involved. He had to know on some level this was serious and could come back to bite him. It is tragic but one bad decision can ruin your whole life and in his case tarnish a great legacy. He will be remembered for this and his record will probably be a footnote. I would not be surprised if he is dead of a broken heart within the year.

But this is what happens in America when we put our organizations, our heros, our reputations over what is right. This sandusky guy was allowed to feed off of this charity. They are crazy if they think people did not know what was going on and how bad it was. Those boys were sacrificed for the reputation of a school and an organization. The attitude apparently was that so a few kids had to take one for the team, we had a good year. As long as he leaves our campus and doesn't do anything here we can go on as nothing happened.

Is sports that important? Is it ok for athletes and coachs to get away with whatever as long as we win and can have our celebrations? It is a sad state of affairs and we kid ourselves if we think our attitude towards our youth is missed by them. They know exactly the value our society places on a child. Without saying it, we are telling them they are expendable.

Sorry for the rant. This whole thing has hit me pretty hard.

Edited by Freedom49 (11/14/11 04:40 PM)

#375339 - 11/14/11 11:52 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: mickeyg1375]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: mickeyg1375
Reports show that the football program brings in over $70 million per year, with over $50 million being profit. If this holds true, then there is no reason that the football program alone couldn't establish a fund to pay for the therapy for the victims.

Yes. If we had a more gentle, compassionate society, we would establish centers to offer healing to victims. To reorient them as to who they are, who they are not, and their whole raft of needs from being abused. Instead, society goes hog-wild over these sports spectaculars. Just like the games in ancient Rome, where huge numbers watched as lions devoured victims in front of them. It's like that movie, the Gladiator.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172495/

Puffer

#375376 - 11/15/11 08:37 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: pufferfish]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sandusky on NBC last night....What the F@ck? Why?

Anyway that was never the point for me on this.

The point was hopeing some here would try and see this from my view as a survivor and as a parent whose 2 good teens are living Penn State first hand. What people here debate and opine on by way of the net and the press is something they are living. It's Kinda odd when your 19 year old can describe what it's like to have reporters stop & challenge you, or can describe what it took for a guy on his dorm floor to wash mace out of his eyes.

Many of you have sent me private notes of support, and I thank you for that.

Friday our 2 come home for Thanksgiving break. They both talk of being depressed and beat up by this all. It's not like them to be that way. That matters to me a lot.

They are incredible effected by what has unfolded in front of them. What they are describing is a feeling that somehow people see them as guilty just by being there. There is a secondary effect taking place impacting good young men and women who feel less than whole now because they selected Penn State over Pitt, or UMass, or UVA, etc.

Like anyone here I'm disgusted by all abuse and hurt everytime a new story comes out.

And as a guy who pays way too much to PSU in tuition I'm going to push them to do right up there, and I already have.

But I find it wrong to describe a community of 40,000 in general terms not knowing a thing about that town until it became a news story.

The avatar is the crying Nittany Lion. It's their school emblem now crying in shame and pain for the crimes comitted by a handful of monsters at Penn State.

Peace.

#375380 - 11/15/11 09:02 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I admire and respect your fortitude and that of your two children to do right. I also agree it is always a small percentage that are bad and all the good is lost. I see the media more concerned with PSU than the victims--PSU will survive and once again be the vibrant place it has been. However, the monsters who controlled the university in so many ways are responsible for the pain. I support your goal to hold PSU accountable and responsible to the victims.

Edited by KMCINVA (11/15/11 09:16 AM)

#375382 - 11/15/11 09:28 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: KMCINVA]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
keith,

you know we all support you and your kids... be proud, you raised 'em right!

they know the difference between right, wrong and have strong morals to stand up for what's right.. that comes from strong parenting... you did a good job with them and they are showing it by doing what's right, on the grounds of where this has taken place...

todd

my story

my vlog

#375386 - 11/15/11 10:27 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: Obi]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Keith,

You are right in that summary blame of all Penn is wrong. But at a certain point, institution culture takes hold of the entire acreage on the campus.

I've spent a LOT of time in every Division I campus as they were all my customers. I sold to the Deans on-up to the Chancellery for each university. I was educated at Syracuse (Division I). Like many here, I know the wide reach the sport elements of culture and the way it infuses the most unexpected areas.

The sport elements are dominant. The sports take priority. The sports are seen AS the university by a multitude of souls both inside and outside these universities. At Syracuse, a Div 1 athlete could do no wrong. They could park their booster-supplied Mercedes on the sidewalk if they chose and no one would say a word. Date-rapes would never see a drop of ink in the papers, yet be widely known within the student body.

We all see the strong and arrogant existence of the sports personalities and we all have no choice but to accept it as a reality of being a student there. Something very wrong at Penn led sandusky to offend so openly in the sports enclave with little-to-no concern of ramifications.

I've used the analogy before, and I'll use it again. "Not every German was a nazi. Not every nazi killed Jews...but the entire German population was put-down with a LOT of collateral damage." The nazis brought the trouble to Europe and caused a LOT of damage beyond their own scope. But they had to be put-down with a degree of brutality that did even more damage to the innocent of Europe.

The Div I sports cultures are out of control with their entitlement and arrogance. Penn's sports leaders learned about this 15 years ago and did nothing. That is all the evidence I require to demand that the sports program be introduced to the shredder. They have no business representing anyone or being trusted by anyone from here-on.

The good students and good people at Penn will survive this. They will begin to self-identify with elements other than the sports prowes. Right now, all the good people of Penn probably can't find a soap strong enough to fix their grief and disgust in their association with the football team.

EDIT: I expect someone to begin a class-action against the school for refunds of tuition paid. Every potential employer will read "Penn State" on the resume, but see "that horrible thing."

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.