Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
5 registered (Dave PNW, jahfree, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64163 Topics
447753 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#374809 - 11/09/11 05:25 PM PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was very proud the day my son was accepted to Penn State. Equally proud this year when his sister joined him there.

They call PSU Happy Valley. It's a remotely isolated part of PA. It's also magical there...or was.

JoPa is like a God to the kids up there. No doubt his program has generated huge $$$'s and many jobs.

Its horrifying to me as a survivor what happened. Horrifying to me as parent of 2 teens who are living this all now too.

Their campus is becoming an armed camp they tell me. Riot cops are all over. The cops are there because the kids are appalled by the atrocities their mentors on campus committed.

There is a morality class being taught to the student population of Penn State as I write this. It is a class I had not planned for by 2 kids to attend.

They marched in support of the boys abused. They marched to call for all leaders responsible for this tragedy to leave.

People commit crimes of abuse. People also heal the wounds and try to make it better.

Their school cheer is WE ARE PENN STATE.

We are all Penn State today.

If change is going to happen at Penn State University, I am very proud this survivors kids are there as an active part of good change that is coming.

#374810 - 11/09/11 05:39 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Keith,

I hear you (and them) loud and clear.

My sister and step-brother are PSU grads. Living here in Western PA, I know many other grads too.

Hell, I rooted for the Lions MANY times.

This whole thing stinks worse than Watergate. The DA should be investigated too. While the crimes are horrible, the cover-up is horrendous. The stench is beyond putrid!

I pray for justice, and hope that any and everyone involved with the cover-up are criminally punished!

Jimmy

My Story

#374814 - 11/09/11 06:57 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: Jim1961]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
This news is horrible. I hope and pray for the little boys who were "affected".

I pray for them to take the next right thing.

#374826 - 11/09/11 08:30 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: Avery46]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
This afternoon I read on CNN.com that the PSU president was going to leave today (Weds.) or tomorrow, but that story seems to have disappeared. Wassapp widdat?

#374845 - 11/09/11 11:13 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: unhappycamper]
mickeyg1375 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
We all hurt for those kids. We are all pulling for the school, students, and staff not involved. Kieth, be proud of your kids. Be proud that they can have the chance to stand up for something worth standing up for. Be proud that they can know what the word honor means. I stand with you brother.

#374848 - 11/10/11 12:10 AM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: mickeyg1375]
wdemilly Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
I too am upset over all of this. About a year and a half ago, after witnessing felony child abuse, I reported the incident to the Florida child abuse hotline, and also to local law enforcement, where I have a number of friends.

Guess what happened. Nothing. Child Services never turned the case over to law enforcement. In fact, when they called me to get my statement, and I described how my friend (the offender) would bring up boys in almost every conversation, her response to me was "you guys sure talk about sex a lot." Fortunately I had my wits about me. I shot back "You're exactly right. It's impossible to have a conversation with him without his bringing up the subject."

I tell my friends that if the victims in this incident had been girls, you can bet that law enforcement and Children's Services would have taken an interest in pursuing this person.

So my point is, that in our culture, even adults who should understand what to do, don't. It's always easier to remain silent. It's always easier to think "lets keep this under wraps." or that "Coach Sandusky (sp) is of great moral character.

I am sorry for the kids who were victimized, both by the coach, and then by authorities who wouldn't believe them or wouldn't do anything. I hope these kids and their families get the very best help possible, without cost to them.

And, I think that as survivors, as we mature and work through the pain and anger of our own childhood, that we will also accept the responsibility to speak out when we see other children being hurt, even if the offenders are our friends, or bosses, or employees, or team members. We are best equipped to do so. We may not always see justice, but we CAN look in the mirror and say "I did the right thing."

I wish everyone here strength, peace, and goodwill.
Walter de Milly

#374897 - 11/10/11 01:58 PM PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: wdemilly]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Last night before, during, and after the riots I was in touch with our son and daughter at PSU.

Our daughter, "the middle kid", is the smart one, and she elected to stay inside.

Her brother is a very passionate 19 year old. He is always up for the right cause, always up for a scrap. I called him at 6pm and he was very clear he and his pals are protesting in disgust of what took place at his school.

He loves his school, loves his Nittany Lions, & loves JoPa. But he and his friends at PSU know right from wrong and nothing was keeping him from being out on Old Main and on Beaver Street last night to say it.

His room mate is his best friend and they are like brothers. The guy is Canadian and always tells me they got each others back. In fact it was the room mate who kept texting me as they moved around campus in what became a riot.

At 2am they called it a night.

Today many here @ MS are saying these college students were protesting in support of a morally corrupt old man.

Not my kid. Not his best friend either. Those 2 young men will be amongst many @ PSU who will demand that men their age (the victims) get support.

Their words don't show up in the NY Times. They show in their campus paper:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2011/11/07/editorial_sandusky.aspx

A lot of guys here have heard me refer to my son as "the short guy". He may be 5-7, but to me he stands 10 feet tall.

#375015 - 11/11/11 07:34 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Candle Light vigils on campus tonight supporting the victims.

Penn State is known for their Beaver Stadium White Outs. Tomorrow it is going to be a Blue Out in support of prevention of child abuse.

I got faith in the men and women there.

#375029 - 11/11/11 10:14 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: kb8715]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Instead of spending their money on candles, the PSU community should put it in a fund to pay for therapy for the kids who were victimized by Sandusky and by the PSU hierarchy. It may be years before the civil judgments start coming in to provide for the kids' treatment, and the news coverage suggests that most or all of them are from "disadvantaged" homes that may lack the necessary financial means.

"Praying" and letting your "heart go out" cost nothing and do even less for the victims. If the PSU community is concerned about its reputation, it should do something REAL for these kids.

John

Edited by unhappycamper (11/12/11 08:18 AM)
Edit Reason: offended another survivor

#375037 - 11/11/11 11:04 PM Re: PENN STATE PARENT PERSPECTIVE [Re: unhappycamper]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

The kids won't get squat until the lawsuits go through, and then some lawyer will make sure the money and payments are tied up as long as possible.

If it happens any other way, I'll be utterly surprised.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.