Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
6 registered (CafeMan, Jay1946, wiresguy1, 3 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63805 Topics
445547 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#374811 - 11/09/11 05:49 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: kb8715]
Anthony39 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
That's awsome Keith, makes my day to hear that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg

#374813 - 11/09/11 06:55 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: Anthony39]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well Tony I may hit you up for bail $. Its a strange day when your son agrees he is the guy who may get arrested for protesting the abuse of children and you are very proud because that is who he is.

Don't give up hope. He's one of many at Penn State standing up for those boys and standing up for us all.

#374899 - 11/10/11 02:21 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: whome]
TonyC Offline

Loc: Midwest
The Penn State story has me triggering all over the place. I haven't been here to the Male Survivor boards in a couple of years, but I am feeling restless and uncomfortable. My pred was a coach and everything happened on school grounds (locker room, coaches offices) When I hear what has been going on with this "Second Mile" charity and how the head of it has been molesting boys for over a decade, I just want to puke.

Thought I would come here to vent. :|

#374906 - 11/10/11 03:31 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: TonyC]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
TonyC: Me to, I read the grand jury presentment and there were enough details from the two eyewitnesses to make it VERY disturbing. And of course we just KNOW there were a lot more vicitms.

#374909 - 11/10/11 04:16 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: unhappycamper]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I had my therapy session today and we spent some time talking about the Penn State abuse story. My T asked what I thought-it really pisses me off and I cannot get it out of my head. It is like reliving the abuse all over. I read part of the grand jury report and had to stop because it was too disgusting. It also made me wonder if anyone knew what was going on when I was being abused and walked away. It sickens me and from talking about it today I understand why I had several flashbacks from this. Unhappycamper you are probably right, many more victims, some will never be known and go through life without help. A sad story for the victims.

#374919 - 11/10/11 06:40 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: KMCINVA]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

Edited by lapchinj (03/17/13 08:58 PM)

#374937 - 11/10/11 09:37 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: lapchinj]
mickeyg1375 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Yeah I am triggering too. I have held out pretty well, but today there has been so much in the news about it that I finally fell apart. I'm sure I'll be OK, though I probably won't sleep well tonight. I am angry that something like this can be covered up for so many years, and at least half of the time the abuse was definitely known about. How much has yet to be revealed?

#374942 - 11/10/11 11:52 PM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: 1lifenow]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
You post is terrific except one thing: equating success with sports isn't realistic when 95% of the other kids aren't even considered. Schools rarely, if at all, let everyone that wants to play do so. For example, Penn State itself has 95,000 students and maybe 150-200 in football and maybe 300-400 or so in all their sports. If it's 500 it's still an incredibly low number. In my high school it 75 players in all sports and about 2000 students. Pay sports is out of reach for a lot of kids as well. It's prohibitively expensive. When I was a kid, if I had parents who cared to begin with, it was $50-100-200 to play baseball. And that was 20 years ago. Local baseball leagues here is easily $500-1000 when you count travel. Sad to say, it's mostly upper middle class or the wealthy that play.

Spending tremendous amounts of resources on 5% of all kids for sports is a terrible impropriety to all the other kids that don't like it (the majority) and would rather explore the arts and sciences. That's where we fail. See many people volunteering to coach arts and sciences? No. Band is very expensive since 99% have to buy instruments. Kids have to raise money a lot of the time to participate in band.

School psychologists serve 200-250 kids on average. They admit they cherry pick who they help. (NY Times and lots of newspapers and news television has reported that in the last decade or more). When I was in school, most of the times there were no school psychologists. They were based out of the district. Advisors had the same issues. In that 2000 student school, we had three advisors. I never saw them but once in high school unless I submitted a form for AP classes. They denied most. Only the chosen saw them every semester which was the local big shots and school teacher's kids since they knew about it. They "in" crowd basically. Every military and poor kid I knew they blacklisted. I was a poor military kid.

Kids like me that were smart in the arts were wholesale discriminated against. The class, a big one, they had was filled the year before. We only knew about them because we knew the kids in it. It's how we found out they had it. An advisor told me the special students, including his I might add, got those classes. The local families with pull. This goes on all over. Their college was too important. Ever see how many remedial classes there are in college? Enough for some students to spend two years before they work on their degrees.

Charter and magnet schools, unless there is a scandal, always goes to those same kids I mentioned. Add some poor ones to make it look good. They ones that are open to anyone is just a pass the kid to get rid of them. It's not the teachers fault. It's the administrators doing lots of favors.

Penn State disgusted me since the victims will be made scapegoats for the corrupt in-charge of the college. Strange the people they fired were all retirement age including 84 year old Paterno. They'll sacrifice a few so the board of trustees can wipe their hands of this mess they hate dealing with, and partook of by the sin of omission, in the first place. Like the Catholic Church, it'll be about money, in this case taxpayers money, going to the victims so they can all boast and beat their chests and say how fucking brave they were. You know it's the truth about the politicians scheming to deal with this sex abuse scandal. Paterno shirked his responsibility and all the others including a grad assistant turn coach and a lowly janitor did too.

In America, we need to have a serious discussion about why 3-5% of students, jocks and jockettes, get all the extra-attention while the other 95-97% are just ignored. This discussion won't happen. Politicians and other scam artists (administrators with six doctorates in nothing), due to the short attention span of the public, will lie and scheme. You know they drill. Just so they can do nothing and get awards for it. By the way, Penn State takes on Nebraska Saturday. Do you really think those victims are worth shutting down the football program for the year by the morons in-charge? No and there are 70 million reasons why.

Edited by phoenix321 (11/11/11 12:20 AM)
Edit Reason: typos

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#374958 - 11/11/11 05:25 AM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: whome]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

Edited by lapchinj (03/17/13 08:58 PM)

#374976 - 11/11/11 10:20 AM Re: the past becomes the present [Re: lapchinj]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
... and Paterno wasn't the only one--maybe not the worst--at PSU who showed shocking indifference and disregard for what the perv-etrator was doing to those boys. Who cares about Joe's job or the football department? Job One is getting the perv and enablers out of society.

John

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.