Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
5 registered (traveler, dan_in_newengland, tbkkfile, BraveFalcon, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447608 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#375121 - 11/12/11 08:11 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: Rusty563]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

Edited by lapchinj (03/18/13 12:11 AM)

#375124 - 11/12/11 08:40 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Jeff,

I agree with you. The kid who finally reported it is the real hero.

Puffer

#375150 - 11/13/11 12:50 AM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: pufferfish]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#375181 - 11/13/11 01:56 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: LN3(SS)]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: LN3(SS)
They are rioting because they are in the right.

Joe Paterno should not have been fired. He did exactly what the law required of him as a mandated reporter in Pennsylvania. He reported it up his chain of command. He did not enable it or turn a blind eye to it. As far as I am concerned, he should get his job back.

My question is: Why are WE not rioting FOR Joe Paterno? Why are we not supporting a person that spoke up for the victims?

Brian

I appreciate Brian for his courage in speaking his beliefs. I have struggled with this issue myself. I'm not a Penn State student or alumni, but appreciate the fact that Paterno was a true father figure to the students there. His fall is truly tragic.

But let's look at this with a less prejudiced eye. Taking it "up the chain of command" is not only morally insufficient in this case, but may in fact be legally insufficient. And I differ with you that he did indeed "turn a blind eye". Despite his reporting this up the chain almost ten years ago, he HAD to be curious why Sandusky still roamed the free earth with free reign among us with little boys in tow.

I'm sorry, Brian, but I see a glaring "blind eye" on Paterno's part that I cannot reconcile with any logic or critical intelligence. With all due respect, could the "blind eye" actually be yours?

That said, and certainly with a heavy heart for Paterno, I still maintain that his firing is entirely appropriate. My only caveat is that an immediate, preemptive and enthusiastic resignation would have been even better. His heart should have been heavy for those kids that he let down.

By offering to slowly wade out into retirement, he amply demonstrated that he just didn't get it. I wonder now if the university decided he was going to be OUT either way, but extended him the opportunity to step down with some dignity. Seeing him equivocate, I don't blame them for summarily firing him.

I would say to Brian that the situation with Paterno is emblematic of the entire problem. The adults are maneuvering to ensure the best outcome for themselves and their institutions. Scurrying like rats on a sinking ship, some have been set up to take the fall while others are tending to their defense. The children - who by nature are powerless - take the ultimate fall.

It is terribly ironic that this entire tragedy occurred because children were manipulated into assuming entirely inappropriate sexual roles - as if they were adults. The REAL adults are acting as selfish children in their frantic political and legal maneuvering to escape responsibility.

It's all quite upside down.

The wonderful grace that is still left for Paterno is that this is a unique opportunity for him. He can step up and be even MORE the adult. He needs to act like the father his students regard him as. He needs to own the problem as much as he can - in essence hold a candle for these kids by demonstrating that level of regard.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#375186 - 11/13/11 02:41 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: Chase Eric]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
I hate conflict as must of us do but, I must add: ALL of the adults in this sexual abuse scandal MISSED out. It is appalling that those who witnessed it (McQuery) and those who were told did NOTHING to stop it then.

It is plain and simple for me.

#375204 - 11/13/11 06:43 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: Avery46]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#375258 - 11/14/11 02:28 AM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: Frankly]
looking2heal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: pa
the ncaa should make psu forfeit every game sandusky was head coach after the 1st report and nothing was done....they should forfeit every game that sandusky was allowed to have an office on campus after he was fired....there was a recuit in SC that puts sandusky in SC still recuiting for psu....paterno SHOULDNT BE REWARD AS THE ALL TIME WINNEST COACH!!!!

#375309 - 11/14/11 06:51 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: looking2heal]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
I'd love to remember the entire collection of football program leaders as sitting in a closed garage with a running car. Sweet!!!

#375313 - 11/14/11 07:13 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: Still]
ShOHIO Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
take a look at this article, I think this sums up a lot and the writer hits the Penn State Campus right were it needs to.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7233704/the-brutal-truth-penn-state

It can also be found at Grantland.com

Be Strong.

Scot

GROW MY BROTHERS AND STAY STRONG,FOR YOU ARE YOUR STRENGTH!

#375318 - 11/14/11 08:36 PM Re: Riots at PSU.... [Re: ShOHIO]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Scot,

That's a perfectly stark article. Fully, disgustingly stark...and true.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.