Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447597 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#374499 - 11/06/11 08:22 PM On topic of Penn State: They need a law!?!!
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-psu-officials-lawyer-shapes-defense-212132864.html

I find it revolting that one who has knowledge of a sex crime needs to be threatened with discipline in order to do the "humane" things and tell the authorities. This should be everyone's right and responsibility.

Show me the human that can see an atrocity and turn away for money or position, and I will show you a weak and fearful person. The courts should not wrangle about the legal position of reporting but about the justice gone lacking for those with prior knowledge did not protect the innocent, they should be trying these men as accomplices.

#374548 - 11/07/11 10:11 AM Re: On topic of Penn State: They need a law!?!! [Re: SamV]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

I, too think it's sad we need a law.

I do not understand why people are unwilling or incapable of imagining themselves in the position of the person with the least power and behaving according to how they would want to be treated if it were them.

So in this case, the kid has the least power. So that assistant told immediately, but he didn't follow up (read he is a full time assistant there now). If he was that child, wouldn't he have wanted the one person who saw it to help him in every possible way? Not just the chain of command, but above and beyond?

Even outside of sexual abuse, this exercise has merit. Look at it from someone else's perspective, what is right becomes much clearer.

#374563 - 11/07/11 01:54 PM Re: On topic of Penn State: They need a law!?!! [Re: GoodHope]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

It is disgusting, people are more concerned with Paterno's reputation-how about the lives that were destroyed by the perpetrator, Sandusky, and all who were in the know of inappropriate acts--the children should be the focus--making sure they get the right support and therapy. Screw Paterno's reputation, he has had a life, what life will the children have?

#374583 - 11/07/11 05:26 PM Re: On topic of Penn State: They need a law!?!! [Re: KMCINVA]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
The thing that haunts me most about this thing is that the abuser and the kid both saw the eye-witness as he stumbled upon them. The eye-witness simply left. The kid, for a moment, must have thought "Someone is here to save me." But they weren't. Tragic.

#374605 - 11/07/11 09:50 PM Re: On topic of Penn State: They need a law!?!! [Re: EGL]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I'm with you, Eddie. The child must have thought he would be saved. Making matters even worse, since the witness didn't stop it, the child probably took it to mean, this was all "okay," and never thought again he would be able to get help.

Ten years old, versus a twenty-something grad student that didn't have any guts.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.