Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
6 registered (jq19712, VASurvivor, 4 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63417 Topics
443371 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#37393 - 03/15/04 12:07 AM How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Yves Offline

Loc: Canada
What keeps you going when it seems all is lost. What's the number one thing that makes you want to hold your head above the water? I can't think of anything anymore. Please can you tell me what works for you?

~Yves

#37394 - 03/15/04 01:03 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
The fact that not surviving is not an option. Our life is too precious to let it go without fighting for it with all our might.

When I did my very stupid overdose, I realized the stupidity of it and called for help. The doctors had to put me under to pump my stomache, when I came to, my first response was "Why should I have to be the one to die?" Why? There is no reason for me to be the one. Let those that victimized me, but not me. What I am saying is that the will to live, to not give into the traps and pitfalls of life, keep me going.

Bill

#37395 - 03/15/04 05:28 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

lady theo.

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#37396 - 03/15/04 06:46 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yves,

I hear ya, Yves. Here it is 2:21 AM and I've just awakened from my first round of sleep. Not sleeping too well these past months. Am I getting closer to something?
I guess to answer you directly, I'd have to say that it's been my family that's kept me going. I'm the old guy here and I've lived with this shit for almost longer than anyone here. Why isn't it gone? Am I suggesting that it never goes away, so get used to it? No, I'm not saying that at all.
I've had a new therapist since October, and yes, I am getting closer to something. Tomorrow is a D-Day of sorts for me. Ides of March, as another way to say it. My therapist left me with a cliff hanger last week and he didn't have any more time to discuss it any further. Nice guy, huh, brings up a life changing subject and then says that he doesn't have any more time to discuss it? You better believe it that today's session will be lively!!
Family has been what's kept me going. My wife and two daughters have kept me going. Now that I've found a therapist who is actually talking to me about the abuse...ya, my psychiatrist of 7 years never really talked about the abuse in my life. Now, I'm looking forward to the health that my therapist says is mine.
It's yours too, Yves, hang in there, confide in a good friend, if necessary, tell your therapist everything, work on your recovery until you find someone who's willing and able to help.
You're important to us here and we're not leaving you behind.
Contact Rick Goodwin, member #1154, Exec Dir of the Men's Project in Ottawa or Mike Church, or Ken Singer to help you find someone in Canada
for a therapist if you need one. Ken, Rick and Mike and Dave have been God-sends for me, as well as the others here..count yourself among them, now.
Keep swinging, keep punching, keep chopping at it, you'll get there.

Peace, courage and strength,

David

#37397 - 03/15/04 07:41 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
LupinIII Offline

My Wife and two children.

Experience: I know that what goes down must also come up. It is always true that "and this too shall pass."

...and of course: I'm a survivor...it's what I do.

#37398 - 03/15/04 07:58 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
phoster Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ohio
i dont always understand God, but i have been taught that suicide is a sure ticket to damnation. one thing you dont have time to repent of, so it automatically dooms your soul. i dont think i completely believe that, in fact i am sure i dont, but it i have enough doubts that it has always made ending it unthinkable. i dont claim to know what awaits us, but i have enough doubts that i cannot risk it. that works for me. i guess we all have that something that keeps us here.

#37399 - 03/15/04 08:42 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Hope.

Even when there isn't any. Even when there's none in me. To lose all hope means that there's no reason for existance, and I refuse to bow to that conclusion.

The search for hope can be reason alone.

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#37400 - 03/15/04 09:27 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Texas_Mike Offline

Loc: San Antonio, Texas-The Lone-St...
life is precious..life can be good too.

stop beating yourself up-------it was a crime against you. treat yourself like you would do your friends.

ivan is right on the money-finding a good T is helpful; most important. volunteer your time;http://spaz.ca/aaron/billious/RCYS/

nobody deserved what happen to any of us--

exercise or just a simple thing like working in the yard-be creative.

be good to yourself...........

wishing you happiness and success

Run 2 Live-Live 2 Run

Best,
"The Desert Runner" Mike

#37401 - 03/15/04 01:09 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Yves: Actually there are two things that keep me going.

1. Is my wife and daughter, the only constants in my life.

and 2. I will never let those damned perps or my customers win. I cannot lose. I will not give them the ultimate victory. My anger is well placed now.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#37402 - 03/15/04 01:25 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
breakinfree Offline

Loc: MA
My Angel,

I am lucky that someone looked into my eyes and saw past the person I acted like and saw the real me inside and still loved me. She treats me as though I am worthy. I stay because I am trusting someone for the first time in I don't know how long. I keep going because I "FEEL' loved and "feel" love for her and I want to see in me what it is she sees in me. Because if she loves me that much, there must be something good about me..and, I am not ready to lay down my cards yet, for if I do I know I will have lost. I am still playing..I am staying for US, you and me honeybee. One..
Chris

Alice Lee Longworth

#37403 - 03/15/04 02:46 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
One other thing, yves. Momentum.

even when you slow down, even when you;re rolling uphill, keeping the momentum going trakes some of the pain away, eases it.

It's working a little for me today, anyway. Can't stop, because that's defeat, and i won't be defested by this or them.

they have no power over you anymore, and taking it back can be as hard as when thwy tookm it.

But they won't win today. You won't let them, and neither will i.

Peace and love.

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#37404 - 03/15/04 03:58 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Good question

I had to really think about this. I suppose I am lucky in that two things keep me going, sorry three things.

1. My three grandchildren and the fourth due next month.

2. Telling my story to whoever will listen and hopefully get to tell my version of events to a court of law. I have had two convicted, Its the outstanding three I'm after.

3. My anger although I have trouble finding the right outlet for this, its usually a wall, but I'm gradually getting better at handling it.

Regards to all

Kirk

"And all that was left was hope" (Pandora's Box)

#37405 - 03/15/04 04:57 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Yves Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's responses. I don't know what keeps me going but I just know that one of these days when I wake up I will actually be glad of it, instead of heaving a sigh of "shit, morning again". That's hope, right? Right now I'm still falling down the black hole and I don't think I've hit bottom yet but I'm getting all cut and battered and bruised on the way down, pun intended, I suppose. One day at a time, one day at a time . . . . . .

#37406 - 03/16/04 05:09 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Yves - what keeps me going?

Someone once tried to destroy me!

I believe in creating things, so there is no way that I can allow the destructive process to continue.

I now build on good friendships that I have. I look after the garden (small) that I have created in front of my house. I am learning how to play guitar properly. I now look out for myself as well as others (I've been called a protector).

This site actually got me going again!

You might be falling now, but you can gain strength here and begin that climb back into the sunshine!

Best wishes ...Rik

#37407 - 03/19/04 05:18 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Yves,

I have had friends I have made promises to. I have made promise to not go out and find someone to hurt me, and I have not done it since then. That was the most dangerous self harm thing I would do, because I had no control over the other person, and how badly they hurt me. I try to avoid other self harm now because it upsets people I care about.

Recently (in past like 6 months), I have motivation in one of my students, who had also previously trained with my old coach who had abused me (and him also). This is a kid who is five years younger then me, and has been through even worse abuse then me, and somehow still remains such a very good and gracious person, even while trying to deal with all this. I feel so much that it is important that I try to be some kind of role model with him, in terms of healing and working at all this. I think for me to give up, it would set a very bad example for him. He is very emotionally fragile right now, and I think could be easily influenced by the actions of a fellow survivor. So that is what keeps me motivated in my efforts right now, mostly. That and I owe my friends so much, they have helped me so much, I do not want to cause them pain or problems.

I hope that you can find yourself something worthy to 'keep going' for. Of course, the most important thing, the most important and worthy thing, is you yourself. (Wow, that was good! I will have to remember that also).

Good luck, and I wish you well. Thank you for your kindness toward me. You are an important person.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#37408 - 03/19/04 05:36 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
coolcat Offline

Loc: Winnipeg MB Canada
I have had the same question many times. I think I just keep going because i don't want my abuser to win.

I also have alot of very good understanding people in the chat room who has kept me going.

Also my partner has alot to do with my recovery.

Take care of youself and Take time for yourself
Gus

#37409 - 03/19/04 12:18 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Yves,

Sometimes all that keeps me going is stubborn spite. Whatever was in me that got me through the actual abuse alive is not ready to give up yet. Faced with "Forward or die" I seem to go forward, sometimes almost on auto pilot. When I've come closest to choosing the alternative, God has bumped me back to the road forward, often through the words I find written here.

Thanks,

Joe

#37410 - 03/20/04 01:13 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
One word Yves. Hope. If you can't find any for yourself, you can find hope in your friends, hope in your family, hope in the people who are here, hope in the people who you explain all of this to until they understand it, hope in the people whom you haven't met yet, hope in the future for all. I myself find hope that everyone will someday believe the one true thing that I have found to be our purpose in life, the hope that they will understand that we are here to repsect each other and help each other and in doing so, make things better for everyone of all walks of life. Hope is what has kept me going through just about everything bad that has ever happened in my life. That, and the knowledge that when I help other people, it makes a difference in their lives, and by expansion, the world. If you do it, be careful, sometimes it can be hard to know how to help people, and most people who do not want to be helped can not be helped. Most people can be helped just by talking with them. Be objective when you do it. Many times, all you actually have to do is listen.

#37411 - 03/20/04 08:03 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
LostandTroubled Offline

In the short time I've been here (less than 24 hours) I've really found that coming here and venting helps.

I also find that prayer can be a powerful force.

#37412 - 03/21/04 01:52 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
TwinBrother Offline

Loc: USA
There is a lot we must endure, but not alone.

I was all alone in my personal struggles of self identity, before I found this place. Now I feel a strong desire to turn on lights and face my fears. If nothing else, this will give me some comfort in identifying with other survivors. I know I have gotten encouragement as well as strength from browsing many, many stories.

As each story unfolds empathy and sympathy wells up inside. I find myself nodding quietly in acknowledgment with what he/she is talking about. Then shaking my head in sorrow for the things he/she experienced.

Result being;
Anything less than feeling safe, respected, and secure about the future and the support system of older fellow humans. Be they family, neighbors, or anyone to whom we all can remember looking up to. This has now ended up with seemingly endless and SEEMINGLY irrevocable disappointment and mistrust that has extended beyond the periods of abuse.

I truly beleave, in helping others, this inturn helps you. Please feel free to use us as your port in time of trouble.

#37413 - 03/21/04 02:23 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
obstinancy

i could fall - i will not - keep going yves
fight and we are here to catch you at the darkest moments

i say to myself - i just can't - for some reason - i do - i live
for ...waking up and seeing the sun???
i know that i do not want it to end - it changes -

but as time grows there is more faith in myself - and more of an innate sense of security with in me -

in part to you yves and all the people here

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#37414 - 03/26/04 06:19 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I am putting this back to the top of the page, because I am needing to be reminded again.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#37415 - 03/26/04 05:34 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
DannyT Offline

Yves,

I get a lot out of silent meditation. If I'm feeling bad, I stop the voice in my head and go for a day hike or someplace where I can be alone for a long time, and I simply stop thinking. I look at things and let myself feel, but I don't verbalize anything. The longer I do this, and the more often, the less anything bothers me. I forget I'm there. Or better said, only the real me, the at heart me, the centered me is there. No voice whining or complaining, bored or hurt, just me and the world. This gives me great comfort. I find I enjoy the things I'm looking at in a new way, and a much more patient me emerges, one much closer to the best in me. By the end of the day or even of some hours of this silence, I usually find myself laughing again.

Of course the voice tryies to come back, but I just say to it, I don't have pay any attention to you now, and I go back to the silence. As time goes on the voice gets truly feeble and is often the beginning of more laughter. I eventually find whatever was bothering me (and it can be pretty big bother) ridiculous in the face of the world and of the simple beauty of life. The light gets brighter and the dark goes away.

Danny

#37416 - 03/26/04 07:50 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . .
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Knowing that tomorrow the sun will rise once again for a new day and the hope that the new day will bring me new and refreshing energy to my life.

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#295933 - 07/19/09 06:33 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: MrDon]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
This is a 5 year old post that I came across today.

It seems fitting for a number of people I know that are having a really rough time right now.

You know who you are. I hope this helps if even a little bit.

And for anyone else having a rough time right now, I hope it helps you right now as well.

Jim

#296009 - 07/20/09 01:03 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: Geeders]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Interesting topic indeed, thanks Jim.

I'm desturbed though by the amount of people who say some varient of "my wife/partner/gf/bf" where does that leave me?

For me there is one answer, ---- and it's not hope.

Hope is the bright, stunning wonderful belief that some day things will get better. It's a good feeling and worth every minute of feeling it. I do not always feel hope though, ---- in fact the majority of time I don't.

for e, there is one thing that keeps me going. Persistance!

Even when I don't know why, even when I can barely move in he morning or am so taken up with dispare I'm stuck crying, persistance is wha keeps me going, the bare, unpleasant method of just trudging forward through whatever is in front of me simply because it's not in my nature to stopp trying.

there's a bit in lotr (the book, certainly not the film with that whiny git of a Frodo), where Frodo says to Sam "You keep hoping then mine is gone, I'll just plod along behind you" this is exactly what I feel. No hope, no prospect of improvement, no wonderful feeling of courage or vindication, simply the sense that I won't stop moving forward because to stop would be unthinkable.

It's not admirable, or pretty, or in any sense good, it's simply what I do.

#296033 - 07/20/09 02:06 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: Yves]
jls Offline

Yves,

Let me say first that I love the quote you have at the bottom of your post since I wish everyone in the world happiness despite that I cannot always be a part of it. Anyways concerning feeling like all is lost I've been there. It started really young for me and I've been struggling with the same feelings for years now. The only answer I feel safe assuming is that aside from my insecurities about the frailty of human nature I can still count on that I'm still here, which in retrospect is a miracle to say the least. Call it learning to survive via the lowest common demominator. Anyways I'm not sure if my input helps but I hope it's taken for what it is. JS

#296053 - 07/20/09 09:04 AM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: jls]
JDV Offline
MaleSurvivor

The promise of a new day and new paths opening to me. The possibilty of taking one step closer to sanity and happiness. The love of my wife and daughter.

#296126 - 07/20/09 05:02 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: breakinfree]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, all.

This may sound like corny comments but, I found it to be true.

I live because I am a GIFT. I needed to know I am a gift.

I have found within myself that I am a gift after having a heart attack and overdosing with a 2yr time frame.

I started having "memories" 4 years ago.

When I "woke up" 16 months ago, the psychiatrist that I saw said I (we) have no idea why you are alive but, I do know you are a GIFT. She stated I hope you know one day how much you are a gift.

I have had a wonderful yet traumatic journey through the memories in the last 16 months to find ME and my gift of life.

I have not been at a "place" in my life where I have so much peace. It is possible. BELIEVE in yourself and your discovery. There are wonderful tools here especially the people here.

Peace,
DJ
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#296162 - 07/20/09 09:58 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: Yves]
mrd Offline

Yves

For me it's the Love God has for me. No one, not my parents, wife, children, family or friends has a unconditional, accept me right where I am love for me. Most, if not all, of the problems in my life come from trying to make false intimate relationships into real love. Everyday I deal with the negative effects of such relationships. Besides my fellow survivor brothers most don't understand my walk. What's not understood is outcast. That doesn't help me. But God, He has me going through the good and evil in this world to make me realize his love. I didn't always understand his ways of showing me, but now I'm getting it. I don't like it sometimes even now. I do know His effectiveness though. True Love is tough love cause its the truth. The truth beat any falsehood. Gods love is the truth which keeps me going! mrd

#296163 - 07/20/09 10:04 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: Geeders]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, WPB
Thank you Jim,

I read every last one.

There IS still hope.

Starting over is hard.

But here it goes . . .

#296280 - 07/21/09 04:16 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: Juni]
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Well it's weird, how I don't come here that often now, but sometimes I feel compelled to call in and see what's happening.

It was strange seeing my words from over 5 years ago!

For those of you that are newer to the site, you won't be aware that I was a total wreck when I first came here!

I actually once stood on a high bridge with the intention of jumping off into the water below! I didn't, because the water was deep, and I knew I would start swimming anyway - a bit like life really!

In that 5 years (to cut a long story short), I complained to the police in Oct 2004, achieved a conviction in March 2007. Was groomed/abused way back in 1969.

Since then I've had a fairly serious car crash (Dec 2007) which has resulted in several surgeries (I'm mobile and mostly active now, but still have some problems).

I have mostly good days now, with some not so good, but I never give in! I could easily have been killed in the crash, but I wasn't, and that makes me see things a little differently! Every day is a bonus to me, and I have another birthday on the day of the crash!

I keep going, because I can. I keep going because that way I win! I still like to create things, and my plants are the best this year they've ever been. Other people comment on how good they look. My guitar playing still leaves something to be desired though (and I haven't given up on that either).

When I had my crash, it was only then that I realised how much many people actually cared about me! I never really thought they did before then! Another reason to keep going!

Best wishes and strength to those who need it to keep going now!

I found much strength here!

Rik

#296281 - 07/21/09 04:23 PM Re: How do you keep going . . . . . . . . . . . . [Re: RICK57]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Welcome back Rik, glad to meet you. I've seen some of your stuff from the days gone by. Glad to hear of your continuing progress. My role here is mostly as a volunteer mentor and I help welcome new members, as I can still remember just how hard that it was trying to get out of my car and into the front door at my first recovery group back in 1987. Mic Hunter was one of my therapists back in 1997-98. Now that I am laid-up off of work on an extended leave, and have lots of extra time on my hands, I have been trying to help give something back to the program that helped me find my own freedom so many years ago.

If you have any extra time to spare we could always use some extra help.

Trucker Mark

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.