Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443078 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#373801 - 10/30/11 05:08 PM just me :)
ShadowPianoman Offline

Loc: Iowa
Started making a musical diary, since I seem to not be able to remember anytime I played. Anytime, since I was 5 and started performing, I cannot remember a single time I played. I know I did, honor bands, Christmas at Wartburg in 1990 or so, various bar bands, but I can never remember playing.

anyway, here's nothing wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t26zxRNQmB4

in youtube under shadowpianoman1972

I might put up some things I recorded a few years ago if I can find the mp3's.

#373809 - 10/30/11 06:37 PM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
WOW!!! impressive!!!!

my story

my vlog

#373909 - 10/31/11 04:20 PM Re: just me :) [Re: Obi]
ShadowPianoman Offline

never have been able to take praise well, but, thank you smile

#374063 - 11/02/11 10:37 AM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
ShadowPianoman Offline

Just noticed...*faces south and waves* heya Bro!

#374072 - 11/02/11 11:56 AM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

*waves back*.... howdy!

i understand how difficult it can be to accept praise... however, in this case it's TRUE!

i've listened to a couple of your recordings and they are really good. played with so much emotion... that is what makes you great! you play with emotion and not just playing the notes...

Edited by Obi (11/02/11 11:57 AM)

my story

my vlog

#374142 - 11/03/11 09:49 AM Re: just me :) [Re: Obi]
ShadowPianoman Offline

Want to hear the kicker?

I never remember any time since I was 5, that I was on stage, or 'in the zone' when I was playing. I started playing piano at 5 and drums not much thereafter. My mom loved it because she got praise, but dad was so jealous of me. He played drums, was really good at one beat. Took a stack of his old 45's, Beach boys, Ventures, ect, taught myself how to play drums. I heard him say a few years ago, 'I quit playing drums when my kid got better than me.'...pout pout. Going to Guitar Center today to sit down at some drums, been a long, long time. Weird, but if I don't play, I get nuttier than I am right now. No joke, I was homeless and found a hotel that had an out of tune white baby grand they'd let me play for coffee. I was actually quite happy with life then. I have an adequate key rig now, niiiiiiiiiiice sounds, and I'm all about the patches...

Taking the long way of saying...I know I was in honor bands in high school, I got the John Phillips Sousa award my senior year, could probably tell you the acoustic signature of CY Stephens Auditorium in Ames, Iowa. Can't remember my performance. I fractured myself so hard, I drove part of my psyche into any kind of performance really...to escape, my safe place.

mom liked to see my name in the paper because she could shove that in her 'friend's' faces, and dad was jealous of me because he couldn't do it. Older bro, well, due to neglect by a schizophrenic mother (she took a lot of naps), and older brother basically being a spoiled brat and getting to do whatever he wanted...he couldn't play drums or piano, no matter how hard he tried. He tried vocal for a semester. He sucks, can't carry a tune in a bucket. I've always been told about the emotion in my playing thing, so thanks man, I'm glad you told me that. Let's me know the real music is coming through, and that means a lot to me.

Each time I hit the record button, it's like Vegas, seriously. I have no idea what's going to come out when I hit play. I have some idea, not that screwed up. Not like I black out and come back and there's an opera or some such nonsense, but most times, I just go with it.

Thanks for listening, and reading this rant if you got that far.

PNO

#374156 - 11/03/11 11:17 AM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

my musical tastes covers the whole music spectrum.

i don't listen to music... i FEEL music....

i have to get a feeling from a song or i don't like it. doesn't matter what the feeling is... it could be a happy feeling, a sad feeling, a romantic feeling and so on.. if i feel it then i like it.. if i don't feel it then i don't...

that's why i liked the 2 songs you shared. i could feel so much coming through them.. the other one you shared, in the other thread, wow! i felt so chilled, cold and razorlike... powerful!

it's all good... smile

you have a powerful voice in your music.. much like the user earlybird has a powerful voice in his poetry. LOVE his poetry... would love to hear anything else that you would care to share...

i do think that is your gift to express you thoughts and feelings... a true talent...

todd

my story

my vlog

#374187 - 11/03/11 06:41 PM Re: just me :) [Re: Obi]
ShadowPianoman Offline

Right on, man. You get it. Never could get the hang of reading music though, like I have a weird thing that I can't read music that way. I've played every style from polka, heavy metal, country, classic rock (believe it or not I got to open in some lil bar in Minnesota for Head East in the mid 90's, i'm not really good with dates. I remember hearing that synth line from never been any reason and goin, yeah that's it. Dropped classical piano, learned the blues, was damn good at it too...wonder why...duh. lmao Always wanted to play drums/percussion in a Rock Fusion gig, maybe even have enough guts to play keys...

Thanks for your kinda words man, I really, really appreciate them.

#374188 - 11/03/11 06:58 PM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
ShadowPianoman Offline

My wife makes fun of the way I listen to music. I take it apart, examine each part, play it thru, then all together...all at the same time...kinda cool. I think we share that. Never thought I'd see that. I used to lay on the garage growing up, don't know if you've ever been in rural Iowa, but it's flat. Used to joke that your dog could run away and a day later you could still see it runnin...no joke. Best friend's wife came out from LA to visit, she was so afraid of how dark it is. Because of that, you can see the starts....if you're into stars...that's it man. Watchin the stars with a boom box (had to run an extension cord, I tend to suck up electricity wherever I go.

I remembered last week the first movie I watched that I learned I could escape there, also remembered the first song I learned I could escape there too.

I'm listening to music and in the groove so who knows who you're talkin to, but nice to see ya wink

Loved Manheim Stemroller, when I went to wartburg, a fellow freshman music major actually had the bucks to pay for lessons from jason berkley. 2 in a row because they were half hour..you know. One of the 'best music teachers in the whole darn country' threw me out of her piano 101 class, told me I should ever sit at the ivories again. lol someday man, someday.

anyway, nice talkin to you, kansas isn't that far away from where I'm at in iowa, who knows maybe we can jam someday, have a coffee, and so not talk about anything but bullshit.

Peace Bro,
Brant

#374189 - 11/03/11 06:59 PM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
ShadowPianoman Offline

Dude, I'm so into like anything David Guetta (dream job drool) and Skrillex (I so want his teen years...and the one's now too...)

#374190 - 11/03/11 07:03 PM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
ShadowPianoman Offline

well, right into right now, always Brian Setzer, Tomitta...man, there's way too much.....I don't have a full library just yet so....Korn-word up, bills, bills, bills, anthing DIO, comon...Ozzy, Herbie, Chick, David (played for chick corea)dave Weckel (die for some Yamaha's from the 80's small lugs please..lol then I woke up....or a set of them darn visilights, so hard to keep from crackin in temp changes....the country remix of gin and juice, godsmack cryin like a bitch, kid rock, only god knows why, never could spell when I was listenin to music...anyway, peace

#374400 - 11/05/11 09:52 PM Re: just me :) [Re: ShadowPianoman]
ShadowPianoman Offline

yeah, haven't tried to record anything since I put myself back together at 4pm.

woke up with multiple personalities, put myself back together after 39 years by 4pm.

not a bad day, I think I'll rest.

Brant.

It's nice to meet you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.