Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
6 registered (unhappycamper, peroperic2009, Greg56, 3 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63649 Topics
444527 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#371839 - 10/06/11 04:10 PM Would you do Group?
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hi all

I am looking for some input here.

I am starting a support group in South Africa, Matrix Men,(the first ever I understand) and what I need from the esteemed brethren on the site is some input, a couple of answers.

1) Would you do group therapy?

2) Would you do support group?

3) Are you afraid to do either?

4) which in your opinion is a better format Support group or group therapy.

5) Are you currently in any form of group?

This is purely as a support to individual therapy, and not to replace it.
This info is purely to help me decide a format, and whether anyone will actually come !!!!

I really really appreciate your input Guys.

#371848 - 10/06/11 05:00 PM Re: Would you do Group? [Re: whome]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
YES!

And I am doing it via Alanon (NOT AA) with a focus on Adult Children of Alcoholics. It is a GREAT support system, especially because everyone else in the program is also suffering various forms of childhood abuse.

And its one of the best things thats ever happened to me.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#371897 - 10/07/11 11:09 AM Re: Would you do Group? [Re: Magellan]
George Offline

Loc: NY metro
I attended a mixed group for about a year once a week. Most of the time I was the only guy in the group. It wasn't about csa, but all ended up there because of it. I gained some insite from the womens prospective and they gained insite thru mine. One woman emailed me and told me that when she first came to the group, that she was freaked out by a guy being there, she further said that she soon was at ease with me, that she really appreciated all my input.

I attended a mens support group for a very short time, the guy running it was beyond flakey and I didn't get a good vibe from him.

I would attend a attend an all male survivor group if one was around, but there aren't any. Years ago I toyed with the idea of starting one, but don't have the time or the energy to spend on it.

I like the idea of a peer support group, not anything I would have to pay for (I don't miond if they pass a hat), or that there would be an insurance record of.

#371913 - 10/07/11 04:10 PM Re: Would you do Group? [Re: George]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
I attended Group therapy for four years down in Dallas.
It was immensely helpful.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.