Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (JW1230), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64018 Topics
446774 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#371416 - 09/30/11 07:36 PM Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode?
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Did anybody else watch this? I found it hard to sit through, but i was glad i did.. MS was the first thing i thought of when i realized the nature of the episode, and wondered how many others here were at least glad to see the issue brought forward at a national level again. Of course there were things about it that weren't perfect, but all in all i really thought the message was overall strong and positive rather than sensationalistic or exploitative. Your own thoughts welcomed!

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#371483 - 10/02/11 02:13 AM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: dgoods]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

I agree, this episode of SVU did a decent job of representing CSA.

On a related side note Law & Order SVU has jumped the shark this season without Elliot Stabler (Christopher Meloni). Stick of fork in it...it's done!

Mike

#371550 - 10/03/11 02:47 AM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: Barkabus]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Yeah, I was sad to see Stabler go. Ironically, one of my friends (non-survivor as far as I know) was an extra in the final scene at the News Conference. I havent watched it yet, just fast forwarded to the spot he was in. But yes it is great to have Male CSA back in the spotlight again. One of the best parts of the episode (ok, I didn't watch much of it LOL) was at the end when you see the black kid watching TV and he gets emotional and the mother asks him whats up. It kind of had that you are not alone feel to it.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#371558 - 10/03/11 08:53 AM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: onlyakid]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I had flipped the channel and saw a small part--it upset me and I felt sick by what the coach had done. I really like the line where the woman officer said male sexual abuse is where female sexual abuse was 40 years ago. I think it is moving forward but still so many out there are ignorant of the effects it has on the man as either a child or adult. I hope when able to better handle catch it on re run and see it in its entirety.

#371624 - 10/04/11 06:04 AM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: KMCINVA]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Funny, that's the line that stuck out for me as being a "Hey, they're starting to get this right" moment too smile

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#371633 - 10/04/11 09:48 AM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: dgoods]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I guess great minds think alike.

#371914 - 10/07/11 05:05 PM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: KMCINVA]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
From what I understand...good people involved with survivors helped with the>

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#371941 - 10/07/11 11:52 PM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: Castle]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Please someone provide a link for this?

I'm feeling deflated frown

Puffer

#372014 - 10/09/11 06:16 PM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: pufferfish]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
A link to the on-line show? I don't have one myself... I didn't particularly like it, though it had some good moments. Compared to nothing... ok.

"male sexual abuse is where female sexual abuse was 40 years ago."

That really caught my attention too. Although it begs the question.. why have we created a whole new "hierarchy of sympathy"? Male abuse isn't that new in research, to experts. 15 years old perhaps. Nothing about that...

The faked suicide of the one victim really is a terrible message and fatal flaw for this show though. I'm quite disappointed by that and frankly, it looks bad for 1 in 6 they were such backers of the show. I could never recommend it because of that. You just can't reinforce that outcome in any way, shape or form, and I think they inadvertently did.

The investigative storyline displaced much of the abuse/effects/disclosure part I was hoping for. Oh well...

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#373263 - 10/24/11 07:18 PM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: LandOfShadow]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

it can be watched at www.hulu.com

#374553 - 11/07/11 11:28 AM Re: Law and Order SVU "Personal Fouls" episode? [Re: dgoods]
AndrewT Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I watched this episode last week in response to reading about it here and found it to be a good representation of the reality of CSA.

Amazing how life is now imitating that episode with the Jerry Sandusky explosion at Penn State. So sad.

My story: http://tinyurl.com/AndrewTStory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.