Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
2 registered (JW1230, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444538 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#371100 - 09/26/11 02:05 PM How do we change 1 out of 6?
Gretta Offline

Since finding out the details of my husbands abuse I feel a call to action. Of course I want to help my husband but what about the others? How do we STOP this from happening to innocent children or make the number 1 out of 7. If we save 1 child from this, just one...

P.S. I realize that my husband is not willing to go public with this type of information and may never be. So for now I will need to work on the down low.

#371108 - 09/26/11 03:33 PM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: Gretta]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am a writer. I asked one of the publications I write for if I could do a story about it. I sent queries to others. I told my husband that I will be crushed if I am rejected. I am usEd to getting rejection letters, but this story is soooooooo important. I know why people don't want to hear about it. It is awful. But it happens. Everyday. And it persists because of silence, secrecy and shame. Anything I can do to reduce that, I'm all over it.

#371109 - 09/26/11 03:35 PM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: GoodHope]
hopeandtry Offline

I am trying to change things in my own corner by educating people when I hear them adhere to a "myth" or something like that.

#371110 - 09/26/11 03:36 PM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: GoodHope]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
One thing I have done is to put MaleSurvivor.org pamphlets in my waiting room. Some have been picked up, and have started conversations between myself and some clients of mine about CSA.

I've also emailed the WOR brochures to someone I know suffered this.

I've been thinking about contacting some psychologists I know, to see if they would be willing to put some WOR brochures out at their offices....

#371114 - 09/26/11 04:30 PM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: Disappointed]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
hate to say it.... BUT that # of 1 out of 6 is not correct... that is the #'s that have been reported and with the way society dictates that men/boys are to suck it up and take it, plus told to be quiet about it and never mention it, well..... it's sad, but true that the #'s are worse... i would venture to say at least a 3rd... more like 2 out of 6 or 1 out of 3....

my story

my vlog

#371115 - 09/26/11 04:52 PM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: Obi]
hopeandtry Offline

It is true, Todd, which is all the more reason for us to try to lower the number...whatever it is.

#371119 - 09/26/11 05:10 PM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: Gretta]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hi Gretta

In My mind there is only one solution, and that is to talk about this so damn much and be in peoples faces all the time.
Create awareness of this scourge and people will watch out for it.

CSA thrives on secrecy. If we put it out there and are extremely vocal about CSA, it can no longer be a secret and people will HAVE to do something about it.

Talk to schools, talk to parents, go on radio and television, be in the papers and talk talk talk about it.

I have just started helping and counseling victims of csa, and I am already getting tired of the number of survivors.
Did you know that research in the UK showed that 79% of the people in therapy for addiction were sexually abused......79% people,.... that's a helluva a lot of people.

Thanks for your eagerness and willingness to jump in and help. It is always inspiring.

BTW all very inspiring ideas. In Africa we say, How do you eat a whole elephant?...........One bite at a time.
Keep going, nothing better than pissed of ladies taking on a problem.!!!

Edited by whome (09/26/11 05:15 PM)

#371126 - 09/26/11 06:46 PM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: whome]
Gretta Offline

Martin you are so right! We are pissed off and it's not a bad thing to harness. I agree. My children are all in different schools, I will contact each administration to find out how they are addressing this, I will also contact the home and school associations and see what kind of information they can get out. I guess I need to find out about the resources in my area. We are fortunate we can afford counseling but what about those that can't? Where do you go if you can't afford counseling? (which has been a God send for my husband). I have to imagine there are organization out there ready to go, I just need to find them.

Whatever the disturbing number is...one bite at a time!

#371139 - 09/27/11 02:21 AM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: Gretta]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Gretta
Love the entusiasm

Please arm yourself with all the tools you need before you go forth to conquer.

There are resources all over the web. If yu want some contact me.

Schools are a great place to start, talk to the kids and the teachers.
Teachers are the ones that see the changes in the children, and can initiate investigations etc.

My theory is rather be wrong, and offend someone, than be right and loose a child.

#371140 - 09/27/11 03:54 AM Re: How do we change 1 out of 6? [Re: whome]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
Be careful talking to under aged kids without parental knowledge and permission. l never had any conflict but here in America under 18 is still a juvinile. I have provided peer support and referral to a 16 year old, but his Father brought him over and we did a three way conversation the the young man opened up on one on one.
I do a lot more work educating non-victims and by doing that l meet lots of silent survivors.
So when l hear a first disclosure l need to have resources, referral to local support and materal for the secondary victims.
Be sure if you do join the crusade you must remember to be of service to the non-victim, silent victim and survivor.
Never open a wound you can't administer first aid.
The rewards are well worth the tears, l know.

Doug

Edited by men_of_hrts.dbw (09/27/11 03:56 AM)
Edit Reason: Spell ck
"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.