Newest Members
beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1, AustinChemist, wild_turky
12276 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (AdawgJR, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
63164 Topics
441711 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#370016 - 09/13/11 11:38 AM Re: 9-11 +10 [Re: Czaesar72]
jls Offline

There is something especially difficult about dealing with the aftermath of a tragic event that affected us directly yet at the same time is shared by others in the wider world who don't have a personal connection to it. In some ways it may feel like they are taking away from your grief since they suffered no personal loss and therefore should just stay out if it. Iím not saying thatís rational but feelings arenít supposed to be I guess.

I speak with experience on this subject since in my life Iíve been witness to a couple of very public, tragic events where people I knew personally have died. Both events caught the attention of the press, and subsequently everyone and their dog were commenting on it. This made me very angry since my first reaction was that they have no right to involve themselves in such a private matter, the private part being that people I knew and cared about had died. However, the circumstances of their deaths made it a public matter so I just had to suck it up and accept the publicís comments, even when they didnít have a clue what they were talking about. Just my thoughts. JS

#370170 - 09/15/11 10:24 AM Re: 9-11 +10 [Re: Czaesar72]
IrishDadTx Offline

Loc: Texas
I always have a sad experience around 9/11. Childhood friend of ours died in the South Tower (only 32) and he was a good guy. What's disturbing for me is this is the kid that first triggered a reaction from me that I didn't even know I would have -- it shocked us both.

I don't know how it happened, but he and my brother had wrestled me to the ground horsing around or whatever and Richie (my friend who passed away) began tickling me and wouldn't stop.

I freaked out - panic attack type thing. This was around age 13-14-15 something like that. I almost started crying and was shaking and truly scared to death. I think I told him that I couldn't breathe and that it scared me or some lie to that effect.

It was the first hint (looking back now) that something had happened to me. To this day, I can't stand to be tickled, it gives me a panic attack type of feeling, and I can't watch anything 9/11 without being reminded of Richie, which reminds me of all of us playing, which reminds me of the incident, which reminds me I was abused.

Kind of a fubar spiral...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.