Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
2 registered (AustinChemist, wild_turky), 50 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63170 Topics
441727 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#369089 - 08/29/11 09:08 PM Old neighborhood
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
So I had to go back to my old neighborhood, where I grew up, today to check on my deceased uncles house after the storm.

What I saw is exactly what I remember. Neighbors helping each other clean up broken branches. Multi-generational Mom and Pop pizza shops, seafood stores, and bait stores that still remember who I am even after several years. I don't see that where I live now. I saw some kids riding their bikes to the Pizza place I used to frequent to get italian ice and it really brought back memories of me doing the same. I'm glad to see kids still do the same.

Don't get me wrong I formed a neighborly relationship with my neighbors in my apartment building (constantly help out the little old lady across the hall, bitch about work with the jewelry maker upstairs, chat with the young couple upstairs) but on an overall scale I just don't see the same neighborly love I saw in my old neighborhood.

I didn't dare go by my old house where it actually happened, or any bad memory spots.

Anyway, at the end of the day I just feel like I'm missing something. I'm missing my community, I'm missing my neighborhood, my old friends.

Riley

PS I had to laugh. The old bait shop is in a low lying area right on the beach yet always seems to dodge flooding. Today they had a piece of plywood that was spray painted, "Irene-0, Baitshop-1, Goodnight Irene."

#369130 - 08/30/11 02:23 PM Re: Old neighborhood [Re: Riley]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
really interesting post Riley for me on multiple fronts.

A) growing up we were not part of a neighborhood like that, and why my wife and I choose where we live now...we are very much living in the neighboorhood life and enjoy it. Having my kids be a part of that is WAAAAY important for me.

b) I was recently in my old neighboorhood, nad wanted to stop at my old house...I know the poeple who live there so that wouldnt be an issue...i dont know what that will do for me and I was with my kids for a Long Island visit, so i didint go....but thinking about it...may go with my wife for support...but why i mention this is that the perp and the memories are old, time for us to turn our triggers around....Im not gonna be made to stay away from aneighborhood because of him, he does not have that control over me anymore.

SO..If you want to live in that type of neighborhood, you should do it.

I'll let you know how it goes, should I goto the scene of the crime...and in NY at that time, Incest was a crime. I'll talk to T about it wink.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.