Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
6 registered (WalkingBuffalo, jahfree, EchoSoul, 3 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64164 Topics
447755 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#368064 - 08/13/11 04:09 PM Book Review: Sexual Abuse of Males: the SAM model
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sexual Abuse of Males: The SAM Model of Theory and Practice by Josef Spiegel

Consider yourself forewarned: unless you are in medical or psychology field, this book will require you to consult your dictionary at least every other page (just bookmark dictionary.com and be done with it). If you are willing to do that, this book is fascinating for both survivor and supporter.

My husband's therapist recommended the book and told him "I think you'll see yourself in those pages."

Boy did he ever. It freaked him out but gave me comfort. This book explains in exhaustive and extremely technical terms, the adverse effects to body and psyche from child sexual abuse in males. The book also addresses, dis-associative issues, flashbacks, hyper-arousal and a host of other issues I've seen addressed on this board.

My husband and I had been together 8 years when he disclosed and during that whole time he suffered (suffers) from gastrointestinal and sleep issues. Turns out that is EXTREMELY common in Sexually Abused Males (referred to as SAMs) in the book.

If one had the time and inclination, referenced material alone would keep you busy for decades.

This is a textbook and nothing about the writing or organization would lead you to believe otherwise. Still i found it to be compelling reading.

If you can stand the laborious pace at which you will be forced to go, and the expense (today on half.com it's cheapest price is $66) it is worthwhile resource.

#368093 - 08/14/11 01:14 AM Re: Book Review: Sexual Abuse of Males: the SAM model [Re: GoodHope]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
is there any reference to men being abused as adults or is the scope only limited to childhood abuse?

- Saint John of the Cross

#368112 - 08/14/11 06:45 AM Re: Book Review: Sexual Abuse of Males: the SAM model [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Crux,

The Amazon review talks about it in broad male abuse terms but the product de>

#368223 - 08/16/11 08:39 AM Re: Book Review: Sexual Abuse of Males: the SAM model [Re: prisonerID]
well-intended Offline

Loc: Belgium
Extremely interesting. Thanks for the tip.

#368225 - 08/16/11 09:06 AM Re: Book Review: Sexual Abuse of Males: the SAM model [Re: well-intended]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I think this book is the most comprehensive one on the topic of sexual abuse of males. It is academic and like most academic books, the timeliness is subject to new research. Although most of the journal articles and books Spiegel cites are classics, research is continually evolving so that much of the material is dated. The book was published in 2003.

#368235 - 08/16/11 01:11 PM Re: Book Review: Sexual Abuse of Males: the SAM model [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This book looks good. I'm going to get a copy when my fortune comes in. The author's name is Spiegel, which in German means "looking glass". I thought that was appropriate.

http://www.amazon.com/Sexual-Abuse-Males-Theory-Practice/dp/1560324031/

There are lots of things I have questions about, for my self and for other guys here at MS. This may be the source of answers.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.