Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, tbkkfile, petercorbett, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443108 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#368051 - 08/13/11 12:33 PM bodybuilding
thefutureorbust Offline

Loc: NC
I've been bodybuilding seriously since 1992, and I believe it prevented me from killing myself. It was the only thing that truly gave me self-esteem. I did it to attract girls, I did it to ward off bullies, I did it to belong to something, I did it to re gain a sense of control and power, I did it to be competitive. I've won two champion ship titles all natural no steroids. ANd I also love lifting heavy. My best in the big 3 were squat 455 x 2 315 x 20 and 200 x 50, bench press 415, deadlift 585..all at a weight of about 210. Im well respected in the bodybuilding community, I help other guys and girls prep for contests and I write a column on a bodybuilding web site. Its given me an identity that sexual abuse took away. Its been my one loyal friend. Has anyone else turned to bodybuilding, powerlifting or weight lifting to give them confidence, self-esteem and a feeling of purpose? its a beautiful endevor

#368052 - 08/13/11 12:36 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
thefutureorbust Offline

btw bodybuilding meaning standing on stage in posing trunks, not powerliftig where you lift weights in competition. Although both will do wonders for you. Bodybuilding is a little more threatening cause your fully exposed. But it helped me get over so many fears. There are alot of perverts in the industry where many bodybuilders do the "gay for pay" or pose naked crap but thats more in the steroid induced scene. The natural scene is WAYYY different.

#368333 - 08/17/11 12:26 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
well-intended Offline

Loc: Belgium
The endorphin high is amazing. It's always been a way for me to temporarily seek relief from depression, but nothing more, really. I still hate using my body, I'd rather train my mind to get self-esteem and purpose.

#368348 - 08/17/11 06:56 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: well-intended]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
yes - I started lifting in 8th grade because I was tired of not being able to defend myself - tired of being a weakling - tired of the bullying - I lifted all 4 years of high school even though I never played any sports (because I was working after school) - it gave me a great outlet for all of my pent up anger I was carrying around inside of me - and by the end of my highschool years I was pretty darn strong for my size (bench 250 - squat 375 at 180 pounds body weight)(wish i could say that I am still in great shape yet today - but I've got a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy to thank for that... - though I am still in better shape than a lot of people I know - heck, I don't know of many people with M.D. that work a highly physical factory job like I do)

I did have a guy that wanted me to get into the competitive circuit with him back when I was in the military - went to 1 event with him - it was one of those steroid scenes where they really did want you to pose "au natural" - was so uncomfortable i never went back...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#368602 - 08/21/11 02:10 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: TJ jeff]
thefutureorbust Offline

you went to a bodybuilding contest where the guys were nude onstage??? I never seen or heard of that lol Bodybuilding has given me discipline and drive that flows into my day to day life. It gives me the strength to be assertive to get things done despite feeling bad and it allows me to form a bond with others that share my passion!

#369103 - 08/30/11 03:58 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
I love this post. I took up serious body building so late like everything else but the cool thing is it just doesnt matter. Like you I find it gives me an outlet for stress and is a way better way to express yourself than some of the alternatives we all know about.

I was into organized sports when i was younger playing college volleyball. I used to lift weights but nothing to heavy cuzi it seemed that everytime i started to lift heavier, I got injuried and frustrated and just gave up. At 40 my best bench was 315 which is not too bad for a guy who weighed 155 and 5'6'(I know i played college ball when they used to let really short people play, now i am not even tall enuf for a girls team but i digress).

Now at 51 i no longer do the stupid exercices we are all taught cuz they are not good in the long run. I do minimal range of motion exercises with very heavy weights. Leg press is 630lbs, bicep concentration curls are 80, triceps is 110 and bend over rows 120. No longer do i do any straight bar cuz the bench press does no rotation and is not good for your rotator cuff - its out, as are upright rows, military press and behind the back pull downs. Everything is not too deep , too high or even close to full range of motion. I have not had a lifting injury in 3 years, and at this age i look and feel better than i ever have.

The secret is just like when we need to listen to our little voice we need to listen to our bodies. If it doesnt feel right for you it probably is no good. Never get a guy named biff to show you the ropes,lol.

It helps you increase your endorphin levels, decrease cortisol stress hormones and is a way to increase testosterone which keeps all men young. I like what the futureorbust has to say. It has given me all the things he has said plus an inner peace knowing I am doing this to help myself when so many things i did in the past were so self destructive. If i miss 2 days i start jonesing for it,lol. How cool is that? 2 people asked me last week if i was 43, 'around that' i replied.

Would love you to post a link to your body building web site bustman.

WoR Barrie 2011

#369172 - 08/31/11 10:14 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: 1lifenow]
thefutureorbust Offline

its an AMAZING enedavor man...when I prep for contests I love the small changes in my physique day to day...its exciting and fun! and I didnt know you were 51 man!!! lol I thought you were my age for some reason (37)

#373384 - 10/26/11 01:13 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Incognito Offline

I'm in the same boat as you but with the powerlifting route. Without weights, I am nearly certain that I wouldn't be here. Or if I was still around, I could not imagine the type of situation I would be in.

#384348 - 02/04/12 07:20 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: Incognito]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I've gotten a little interested in weight training to look good, be stronger lately but in high school, I didn't want that kind of attention.

I've tried to read a lot about it to learn how to do it. At 52, I've wondered if I could ever put on much muscle but some changes are encouraging. It's interesting to think of how it could affect my... confidence? ... self.

I've seen you have to lift heavy, eat right, and rest to get bigger. I'm just using some free weights at home.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#385465 - 02/12/12 04:25 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
Hey I was wondering ..... okay for example ( man , am I
a wonderful writer , eh?!..I have a unique technique....anyway)
when I go workout ,,, I do everything... I don`t lift weights
using my legs... I am planning to UZ my legs for Kardio only!

Anyway let`s say I workout like crazy today.
If I want to armcurl tomorrow b/C I want to kill this feminine
crap in my mind and whatever-so I get pissed off!
People tell me it is good to breathe/exhale while I push or
whatever ...anyway ;damn I am good at going off on tangents!:)

So If I were to armcurl tomorrow and I worked out my upper body heavily today. Will this hurt my body?
I would like to biuld my arms ,,but I like the anger i put on the wights and get pissed off!

I need to be judious too! Sometimes I make little words come out.,, ah, shit..I dont`t
care but really , can you tell me if thisis a myth.. that you shouldn`t work on the same muscle group in consistent days..
I hate rules and I am just wondering..

wanting my friends to be the gym... Goran
i g=need help how ..

#385698 - 02/14/12 07:55 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Treehugger75 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I've always shied away from bodybuilding. Maybe i saw it as away to avoid attention. Good looking people got attention from those around them. I did not want attention. I wanted to be left alone. Now, however, being alone has lost its lustre and its comfort. I will look into body building as perhaps a method of recovery once i get smaller steps like eating healthy and regular sleep patterns down. I crashed when i tried too much before. I can appreciate the valididty in small steps. I hope you are still a member of my support community (MS&life) when i feel i am ready to tackle my external self and have my inner self winning a mr universe contests at every turn.

#400099 - 06/11/12 05:12 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Justaname Offline

I'd love to get into a serious strength building program, though I like others have gotten continually injured due to a bad car accident in my younger years I have quite a fragile neck/shoulders and lower back. I recently took up kettlebell swings and that was great until my neck / shoulders shot out again. I really want to take up a combat sport, martial art or boxing but my neck/shoulders keep giving out. Any tips? what should i do

#403894 - 07/17/12 12:21 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Clifford125 Offline

You are doing good job. You are busy in bodybuilding, it played an important role in your life to give your self esteem and improving your living style. It provide you an interesting field to pass your time.

#422882 - 01/22/13 12:23 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Chalmer Offline

Loc: NY
Though I am not a bodybuilder but hitting gym regularly since last 5 years and must say gyms are the perfect place to lose extra weight, adding muscles and toning body. Advanced quality of equipment available in gym helps you to workout on all body parts in reasonable gym membership form and gym staffs will help you regarding your routine workout and balanced diet plan.

#423825 - 01/31/13 02:48 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Andreu Offline

Hey friends. This is my first post on this forum. Bodybuilding is my favorite activity and i am doing bodybuilding from last two years. I like this topic and all posts are nice.Keep it up friends.

#424367 - 02/05/13 09:10 AM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#425409 - 02/15/13 06:32 PM Re: bodybuilding [Re: thefutureorbust]
wearytraveler Offline

Loc: xxxx
hey guys,

I lift weights to stay toned but I reach a certain point and do not want to get that big. I also want to know if anyone has ever trained for a marathon - and has it effected your muscle mass ? I am scared that all the running will make me lose tone? Not sure if that is a fear that is unfounded but was wondering if anyone ran as well?

Josh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.