Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (gatoonfanatic, 1 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63113 Topics
441363 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#367796 - 08/09/11 06:18 PM “When a Man You Love Was Abused"--A book review
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

“When a Man You Love Was Abused: A Woman's Guide to Helping Him Overcome Childhood Sexual Molestation” by Cecil Murphey http://www.amazon.com/When-Man-You-Love-Abused/dp/0825433533

It just occurred to me (duh) that I could share what I gleaned from the books I'm reading with others dealing with similar issues.

Murphey, a former pastor turned writer shares his very personal experience as a survivor of CSA in this easy to read guide.

Sprinkled liberally with>

#367815 - 08/10/11 01:48 AM Re: “When a Man You Love Was Abused"--A book review [Re: GoodHope]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Thanks Eldee for the book review.

I'm new to the world of survivors, and I couldn't agree with you more. There is not enough help for the partners of survivors. When searched for there is tons of info for us Survivors, but nothing, well not much for the spouses. This has prompted my wife and I to start a support group for Famlies in our country.
Beside the damage caused in the survivors life, the damage to the family is MASSIVE. They to need to heal.
Thanks I will be ordering the book.

Martin

#368021 - 08/13/11 12:34 AM Re: “When a Man You Love Was Abused"--A book review [Re: whome]
hopeandtry Offline

You know there is a books and movies section on here if you want to post it there, too.

It seems that with most books I have to take everything with a grain of salt and take away what I feel in my gut is right. I, too, wish there were better resources for supporters.

#368041 - 08/13/11 09:52 AM Re: “When a Man You Love Was Abused"--A book review [Re: GoodHope]
jls Offline

Self-care for the partner of a survivor is so important. As someone who works in one of the helping professions I may understand this more than most but even so I fell into this trap with my ex-girlfriend all the same. We were in a bit of a unique position because she is a survivor also. With that I reverted to “helper” mode and looked after her issues while ignoring my own. Well, not ignoring them altogether since I was self-medicating through drinking, which is one of the big reasons we broke up. I never cheated on her with anyone else but I did with alcohol since near the end of our relationship the booze came before she did, if this makes any sense. Right now I’m single and wish to stay that way while I work on the toughest stuff to do with my csa. Honestly to be able to take the time to focus completely on myself feels like a blessing. There are many years ahead in which to enjoy relationships but there is only one “me” and I want to ensure this “me” is the best it can be before sharing myself again with someone else, if only to be on the right footing. Just my thoughts. JS

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.