Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (lapchinj, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63209 Topics
441984 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#367984 - 08/12/11 08:22 AM Violence Study
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
This was posted on the MS news feed on facebook. I thought it had made some honest points. I know I identified with much of it.

http://www.crin.org/violence/search/closeup.asp?infoID=25690

#368125 - 08/14/11 03:17 PM Re: Violence Study [Re: prisonerID]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
I relate to the stories of these men in the article so much. While my background and their backgrounds could not be any more different, I can relate to the self loathing, isolation, and unpleasant physical symptoms. It is always good to read stories like this in the media and to be able to see a little piece of my own story in it. It affirms & validates my experiences.

I often read stories about childhood sexual abuse, and there are many good friends of mine on here who have CSA. I see them as brothers in recovery but I do not often see myself in their stories. That does not mean that stories of male CSA aren't worth anything to me. I try my best to listen compassionately whenever someone shares with me something hard they have gone through. That is just part of being a good friend. But that doesn't mean I relate personally the way I relate to stories of ASA. When I pick up a book about "male survivors of sexual abuse" it is almost always about CSA exclusively, with maybe a token mention that men can experience abuse in adulthood. It is interesting how it hasn't even occurred to a lot of these book authors that sexual abuse happens to grown men, even men who were never abused as boys. I applaud the efforts of journalists who take the time to write an article that exclusively focuses on male ASA.

That being said, what was recently written about male rape in the media focuses on two avenues: military sexual trauma, and these victims of rape associated with the unstable political environment of Africa. There are all kinds of stories we see in the mainstream media that profile certain problems that are rampant all over Africa: poverty, AIDS, sex crimes against women and children, and now men, apartheid, civil war, blood diamonds, just general chaos. I know some people personally who have come to the U.S. from Africa, and they say that those problems do exist, but that there is so much beauty and goodness on that continent that the media never talks about... and there is still good reason for these friends of mine to miss their countries. But I have a concern that people will read this article and see rape as a "third world problem", just like people have seen it as just a problem in our prison system, or a problem for the military. It is good to recognize the struggles of these African survivors of rape, it is good to recognize rape when it happens behind closed doors in the secrecy of the military, or behind prison bars. But let's not lose sight of the fact that it happens here, right in our own country, to law-abiding, American civilian men.

Edited by CruxFidelis (08/14/11 03:19 PM)

- Saint John of the Cross

#368133 - 08/14/11 05:36 PM Re: Violence Study [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

You absolutely spoke my mind and heart on this. I have been concerned that the public will not see that men can be assaulted in everyday life doing normal things. I was doing the mundane task of washing my car when I was attacked and kidnapped. I was delusional enough to think that a grown man was not in danger of anything like that happening.

I am glad that stories like the above one are being told for it is horrific. The world needs to take notice of this and I am thankful for those bringing it to light. But like you I wonder if that extreme will be the perception, like it was so long with prison rape, for men at risk of being raped.

#368228 - 08/16/11 09:39 AM Re: Violence Study [Re: prisonerID]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
I wonder if violent criminals learn that if they sexually victimize their target during a crime this victim is less likely to report it to authorities.

"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#368237 - 08/16/11 01:39 PM Re: Violence Study [Re: men_of_hrts.dbw]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I think you have a very good thought in your statement. Hitorically rape has been used as a way to truly conquer the enemy.

When the police arrived I had no issue reporting being robbed and even kidnapped but not the assaults. That silenced me for a very long time.

If they had not stolen my car and left me off a highway I never would have told anyone anything.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.