Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63427 Topics
443413 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#367487 - 08/05/11 10:12 AM Healing the Brain and Healing the Mind
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
CSA can create a need for brain healing.

Sometimes traumatic physical abuse results to some survivors of child abuse. I know of some survivors who received blunt trauma to the head during abuse. Others had damage from suffocation or other injuries. Survivors can benefit from the work being done to help combat veterans. Damage from psychological and physical abuse definitely has overlaps.

Here is a scientific article on healing of the brain and mind:

Healing the Brain, Healing the Mind

The Invisible Wounds of War

Science 29 July 2011:
Vol. 333 no. 6042 pp. 514-517
DOI: 10.1126/science.333.6042.514

by Greg Miller

Summary:

The National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE) at the National Naval Medical Center specializes in diagnosing and treating the toughest cases of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and psychological health problems to arise from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The confluence of TBI and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may be the hardest problem confronting veterans of the current conflicts and those who care for them. Physical and psychological trauma have traditionally been considered different entities, the former treated by neurologists and the latter by psychiatrists. Yet the two conditions have many overlapping symptoms, and people with a history of both seem to have an especially difficult time recovering. There is even some evidence to suggest the two traumas may involve overlapping mechanisms in the brain. NICoE takes an integrated approach to treating veterans and plans to undertake research to help unravel the knot of TBI and PTSD.

If anyone wants the full article, please PM me.

Allen

At a new clinic for troops, doctors tackle a complex interplay between head injuries and posttraumatic stress.

#371153 - 09/27/11 11:25 AM Re: Healing the Brain and Healing the Mind [Re: pufferfish]
ksxlb Offline

Loc: 223
I would love to have that article. I have been looking for this information!

#371189 - 09/27/11 10:12 PM Re: Healing the Brain and Healing the Mind [Re: ksxlb]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I will need to e-mail it to you.

Puffer

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.