Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
7 registered (randombreeze, Obi, VASurvivor, 1islandboy, Jude, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63407 Topics
443317 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#366984 - 07/30/11 09:43 AM Sex abuse led to 26 suicides, says policeman
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
The injustice and horror continues for many survivors of religious sexual abuse in Australia, and some whose lives have been maimed by their abuse are no longer with us.

Quote:
Sex abuse led to 26 suicides, says policeman
By Nick McKenzie and Richard Baker
The Age, Melbourne, in the state of Victoria, Australia, July 30, 2011

AS MANY as 26 Victorians have committed suicide after being abused by two notorious paedophile clergymen, according to information gathered by a senior Victorian detective.

In interviews with a university researcher, Detective Sergeant Kevin Carson of the Ballarat Crimes Investigation Unit has revealed that during his investigations into Father Gerald Risdale and Christian Brother Robert Best - which led to both being convicted - he discovered that up to 24 young men had killed themselves in the years after they were abused by one or both of the men.

Detective Carson has recently learned of two more suicides, bringing his count to 26.

A research paper prepared by lawyer Judy Courtin, a PhD candidate in law at Monash University, examining the Catholic Church and child sexual assault, says that according to Detective Carson, the information about the suicides was discovered during the course of recent investigations into Best's abuse.

There is a very well done story on the crimes that were perpetrated at this Catholic Boys Home by the Australian Broadcasting Commission.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#366986 - 07/30/11 10:52 AM Re: Sex abuse led to 26 suicides, says policeman [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
kinghenri Offline

Loc: Tucson Arizona
I hope to god the inmates f*** those guys up. Everyday.
26 suicides oh my god.
Why?

Plagued by constant misery,
Their eyes cast down,
Fixed upon the ground,
Their eyes cast down

I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

#367390 - 08/04/11 08:49 AM Re: Sex abuse led to 26 suicides, says policeman [Re: kinghenri]
well-intended Offline

Loc: Belgium
They say clergy bring people closer to god..
/cynicism

#444754 - 08/20/13 02:09 AM Re: Sex abuse led to 26 suicides, says policeman [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Lonely Ha Offline

the victims shouldn't have killed themselves.

The predetors should.

It is SOCIETY that incriminates the victim with shame, not the criminal.

Basically, the criminal was the DOER, i.e. the man, so he wasn't ashamed at all!
(N.B. those criminals who take a photo or clip of their act focusing on the victim, while their faces are secure and hidden!)

On the other hand, we surviviors still live with the same shame, living this miserable life.

I don't know if it better or worse than the victims of suicide's lost lives!!

Edited by Lonely Ha (08/20/13 02:14 AM)

#444795 - 08/20/13 01:22 PM Re: Sex abuse led to 26 suicides, says policeman [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ever-fixed Mark
The injustice and horror continues for many survivors of religious sexual abuse in Australia, and some whose lives have been maimed by their abuse are no longer with us.-efm

The horrors continue for survivors of any sexual abuse, period.

#445169 - 08/22/13 09:23 PM Re: Sex abuse led to 26 suicides, says policeman [Re: BuffaloCO]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I read the article. How many more children have to die before people accept and realize the impact this type of abuse has on a child and for those who survive childhood how their lives are forever impacted. People ask why to of us who survive to adulthood act out,abuse drugs or other substances, dissociate or suffer fugues from this abuse. I ask would they be happier if we had taken the course of so many and did not survive. For me I feel sorrow for those who did not survive and ultimately found a way to heal. I can tell there are so many ignorant people who refuse to accept the abuse exists and the impact it has on the victims life. I am thankful to be alive and to be learning to overcome those around me who inflicted more pain than offering help in healing. For those who did not survive, I believe we need to be here to honor them and to help make changes to encourage people to report, identify abusers and most importantly to learn to understand the plight of survivors.

Let us remember these 26 young and hopeful young people as well as every other child that took their lives to relieve the pain. It is part of our healing.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.