Newest Members
baltimura, YotaD55, giant251, Casey_SC, Xr2
12375 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
josacam (51), PhillyPa (39), sum1sun (39), time2heal (40)
Who's Online
5 registered (thrive-n-survive, bluesky, Damian1974, finallyhere, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12375 Members
74 Forums
63593 Topics
444254 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#366444 - 07/23/11 11:46 AM Death Penalty for Molesters?
jls Offline

This article's a few years old but did the U.S. Supreme Court ever rule on it?

http://www.infoniac.com/breaking/court-consider-death-penalty-child-sexual-abuse.html

#366475 - 07/24/11 07:46 AM Re: Death Penalty for Molesters? [Re: jls]
didi Offline

Loc: USA

#366477 - 07/24/11 08:47 AM Re: Death Penalty for Molesters? [Re: didi]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Quote:
"Organizations that work to prevent sexual abuse also supported the Kennedy's lawyer appeal, saying that death penalty can actually make the situation even worse. In most cases, children were sexually abused by a relative or family friend and knowing that saying about the rape can lead to execution may prevent them from reporting about the case."

I tend to agree with that statement. If a child is raped by a close relative (father, brother, etc.) or family friend then I could easily see how they would not say anything knowing that doing so could cause the death of their abuser.

#366491 - 07/24/11 12:09 PM Re: Death Penalty for Molesters? [Re: didi]
jls Offline

Interesting that the court drew a distinction between death sentences for crimes against individuals where murder wasn't committed vs. crimes against the state, i.e. espionage and treason. This may seem to trivialize the importance of the individual but it makes sense given that the lives of millions may be a stake if one betrays their country, say by passing nuclear secrets to a mortal enemy for example.

That said, I don't support the death penalty in any circumstance for the very reason that the state is in no moral position to decide who should live or who should die. After all, every country on this planet has blood on its hands through the prosecution of wars, etc. The government is not God, and to me who should live and who should die is within God's power, not ours as human beings, no matter how morally repugnant some people's behaviour is. JS

#366495 - 07/24/11 12:36 PM Re: Death Penalty for Molesters? [Re: EGL]
jls Offline

I agree with that statement as well. We already know that some children are coerced by perps into not telling by saying that if if they do they'll be sending a caregiver to jail, with threats that doing so will destroy their family. Imagine the emotional weight placed on a child if they knew that telling could have someone executed as well. As much as I'm sure many sexually abused kids wish their perpetrator dead (I know I did) feeling directly responsible for their death would be another thing all together. JS

#366550 - 07/25/11 08:57 AM Re: Death Penalty for Molesters? [Re: jls]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Good point about the coercive element. I wonder how many abusers will take their chances on a trail thus putting the child on the stand to testify.

I wonder how many people would, in the face of a lengthy prison sentence or death penalty, eliminate the only witness to their crime.

#366551 - 07/25/11 09:54 AM Re: Death Penalty for Molesters? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
jls Offline

There's another element in this too that children often can and do feel love and affection for their perpetrators so executing them would emotionally re-victimize the child. While this sounds twisted, its a survival mechanism, since the perp is usually a care provider and therefore the child is torn between hating the abusive behaviour yet loving the perpetrator, with their own survival in mind.

Anyways all this said I admire lawmakers efforts to strengthen sentences for sex crimes against children. However, they would do well to listen to the experts in the field of sexual abuse in this matter in order to fully take the interests of sexually abused kids into mind. JS

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.