Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
6 registered (finallyhere, Dave PNW, CafeMan, VASurvivor, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63418 Topics
443374 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#366229 - 07/19/11 01:32 PM Reading Material for ASA
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi Guys,

I have been doing research for information written for, and about, men who have been abused as adults.

As many of you who are also engaged in this endeavor, you know all to well about what isn't available.

Anywho, a book I found is:

Male on male rape: The hidden toll of stigma and shame.

Authors: Scarce, Michael, Ohio State U, Rape Education & Prevention Program, Columbus, OH, US

Source:New York, NY, US: Insight Books/Plenum Press, 1997. xxii, 311 pp.

ISBN:0-306-45627-3 (Hardcover)

I do not know anything about this book other than what is printed from the cover:

Abstract:(from the jacket) "Male on Male Rape: The Hidden Toll of Stigma and Shame" examines a form of violence that, despite worldwide prevalence, remains vastly underreported and unrecognized. Michael Scarce, coordinator of a rape education and prevention program and a survivor of adult male rape, investigates the substantial effects of male-on-male sexual violence on individuals and society, dispelling popular myths and questioning why most communities cannot or will not confront the problem of same-sex sexual violence. This book is the culmination of years of research that includes numerous interviews with straight and gay male rape survivors, and analysis of popular media, case studies, and the author's own personal and professional experience.
This book shatters the silence surrounding this form of sexual violence in US society while offering concrete initiatives and strategies for addressing the rape of men by men. It is a resource for anyone with a personal or professional interest in the prevention of rape or the healing of rape's devastating effects. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2010 APA, all rights reserved)

(Sorry, I don't know how to do those quote boxes).

Amazon link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0738206237/

The version on Amazon is in paperback and it costs $18.77.

Take note: This book was published in 1997. It is to be expected that it will contain some inaccuracies.

It is also important to note, that this is one of the few books on this topic published since 1997. Another book I found was published for the medical community and it costs $195.00.

Michael Scarce (the author) on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Scarce

I could not find a web page for Mr. Scarce, though I am certain if someone takes the time to search, an email address can be found.

As I find more materials, I will list them.

I see Daryl has listed a site I have also found (http://www.aest.org.uk/survivors/male/myths_about_male_rape.htm).

In the Research section I have found several broken/ moved/ missing links.

I want to make it clear that I have not personally read all of the material to which I may post links or other information. I am just trying to provide information to a group who has, unfortunately, been blatantly ignored, as admitted by those who have the duty (rape crisis centers) and the ability to provide services to all groups who need them.

It is also the fact that research papers are NOT written for a general audience and, as a result, the language used is blatant and clinical. Research papers are not the "how do I deal with this" type of information many seek.

If I post links or information that point to research papers, it is to show that:

1. Research is being conducted,

2. When the research is/ was conducted,

3. The names of the individual(s) involved in that research. Further investigation of the names on research papers can sometimes be a wealth of information.

My intention (as with anything and everything I do) is to help others. If not directly, than through information that might give others what they are seeking.

For any who have bothered to read this far, I hope some of this helps.

Anomalous

#366234 - 07/19/11 03:00 PM Re: Reading Material for ASA [Re: Anomalous]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
This @#!@#$$# site!!!!!

I just spent over an HOUR collecting links and creating a post and when I said "submit" (after having previewed it,) the site logged me out and lost my post.

This FREQUENTLY happens even though I am actually logged in.

Can someone PLEASE tell me wft is wrong with this site????

This has been happening for over six months!!!!!

Anomalous

#366241 - 07/19/11 06:53 PM Re: Reading Material for ASA [Re: Anomalous]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Anomalous,

I am so sorry that you went to so much trouble only to lose your post. That is so aggravating and has happened to me a few times as well.

I also want to thank you for your efforts and what you have already shared here with us. Your voice here is greatly appreciated as well as respected.

Daryl

#366572 - 07/25/11 09:53 PM Re: Reading Material for ASA [Re: prisonerID]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Anomalous, I'm very sorry you've been experiencing problems. It even happens to me. I've noticed however that it's not limited to these boards. I have the same difficulty with a couple other forums I frequent. Whatever the case it's aggravating beyond reason. Because of this problem I've taken to writing important things in a text document then do a copy and paste for making the post.

#366580 - 07/26/11 12:26 AM Re: Reading Material for ASA [Re: WalkingSouth]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I've had the exact same thing happen on Yahoo email. It is definitely no fun.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#366638 - 07/26/11 04:10 PM Re: Reading Material for ASA [Re: FormerTexan]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm going to ask the WOC to discuss this with a view toward getting our tech support folks involved to determine if there's a bug in their software.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.