Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63568 Topics
444128 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#366204 - 07/19/11 12:54 AM Male Rape Victims featured in the Guardian
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men

*****TRIGGER WARNING******

A lot of the passages in this article were triggering for me to read because I identified with them so much. It mainly talks about male rape happening in Africa int he context of wars but the narratives feel a lot closer to what I experienced than a lot of CSA narratives featured in a lot of the recovery literature geared toward male survivors.

Quote:
In Uganda, survivors are at risk of arrest by police, as they are likely to assume that they're gay – a crime in this country and in 38 of the 53 African nations. They will probably be ostracised by friends, rejected by family and turned away by the UN and the myriad international NGOs that are equipped, trained and ready to help women. They are wounded, isolated and in danger. In the words of Owiny: "They are despised."

Quote:
Often, she says, wives who discover their husbands have been raped decide to leave them. "They ask me: 'So now how am I going to live with him? As what? Is this still a husband? Is it a wife?' They ask, 'If he can be raped, who is protecting me?' There's one family I have been working closely with in which the husband has been raped twice. When his wife discovered this, she went home, packed her belongings, picked up their child and left. Of course that brought down this man's heart."

Quote:
The research by Lara Stemple at the University of California doesn't only show that male sexual violence is a component of wars all over the world, it also suggests that international aid organisations are failing male victims. Her study cites a review of 4,076 NGOs that have addressed wartime sexual violence. Only 3% of them mentioned the experience of men in their literature. "Typically," Stemple says, "as a passing reference."

- Saint John of the Cross

#366209 - 07/19/11 06:52 AM Re: Male Rape Victims featured in the Guardian [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I read this the other night when a friend here sent me a link that led me to the Male Survivor news feed on facebook. I was not aware that even existed and it had a lot of articles posted there and I found some that were specifically for ASA. If you search for it there you must put the two words together without a space.

I have been reading war time articles like this since they often pop up when I am doing internet searches. It is heart breaking to read what these men have gone through and what they continue to endure in their countries. The attacks are violent and ruthless but the reactions of those around them must hurt even more. That all these men often mean to their families is some type of role and not for the person that they are inside. To appear weak or vulnerable is a reason to cast them aside like a lame horse who cannot carry the expected burden.

There is a lot in here that coincides with the fears of an adult male who has been raped. Even if not in wartime we can all identify with the fears of being seen in a similar light - as less than a real man.

One thing I can really identify with is that last quotation - "as a passing reference". Whenever I find something specifically geared for a male who was assaulted as an adult my attention is glued to it. These of course are the articles and pamphlets I have run across or others have been kind enough to share here. A reason why I search for programs that do not merely "include" me in some way but actually identify themselves as offering something specifically for a man who has been in my situation.

Who truly wants to have to identify with a "passing reference" with anything in life?

Daryl

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.