Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
5 registered (pattom, dan_in_newengland, woodenshoes, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63645 Topics
444494 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#368673 - 08/22/11 02:37 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: static_00]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
My brother Thebo,

I'm glad you are helping others with your talents, buddy. I'm sure it feels good.

I like how you said that the heroin addicts you help are not "throw away people". That indicates to me that you can see the value of their humanity, deep down inside them.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps they can also see the value of YOUR humanity, deep down inside you?

It's there, buddy. You are not a "throw away person", any more than they are. You all have worth and value. Perhaps by seeing their value and letting them see yours, you will begin to see your own value in yourself? I sure hope so, bro.

(((((Thebo)))))

You are doing a great and noble thing. Not everyone could do what you are doing. In my book, that makes you a hero. smile

Your loving brother, as always,

Bobcat

#368726 - 08/23/11 02:41 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: static_00]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Eric,

It doesn't take a whole lot of talent. A couple magazines with nice pictures, scissors and glue. Take 4 pictures that you feel relate and glue them to paper. You might be surprised.
T

#368895 - 08/25/11 06:15 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Thebo,

Thank you for posting this. Posts like these inspire me. I happened to catch Steve Jobs' commencement speech for Stanford in 2005. A very powerful speech with many great quotes.

I especially liked this one as I believe it helps us CSA survivors find our path:

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#370725 - 09/22/11 01:53 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Magellan]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, I finally got off my butt and went to the New School's Continuing Ed department. I had planned on learning more about financial aid, but left with a whole different perspective. I'm thinking of going for a BA. School is much different than when I last went in 1978. I could take all of the art therapy classes and get a certificate, but I won't get credits unless I sign up for the BA. So, why not dive in, right?

If I want to get in for Spring, application needs to be in November 1. If the art therapy classes are offered, I think I'll go for getting a BA.

I left feeling great. One of the biggest obstacles in this experience was dealing with new people, having to ask questions, come up with good answers. I did fine. On the street I was thinking, "Wow, maybe this can really happen." I stayed with it for a while, but "I don't deserve it." came on it's coattails. OK. It's a familiar friend.

I have to write three essays for the application. One is a simple bio. Another is what I am planning to accomplish. the third is how will the courses I choose relate to that. One of the goals is to help children who are victims of csa. I may find myself in the position to come out about my own experiences. Hmmm. Something to think about.

Anyway, that's the latest and greatest on this juorney.
T

#370742 - 09/22/11 08:06 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hey thebo!

Congrats on taking that next step-it's inspiring! I just landed a new project and it's tough to process the work without feeling some old feelings and getting wrapped up in old behavior-I guess that is one of my old reactions to stress.
I appreciated your post this morning.

It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#370765 - 09/22/11 02:26 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
StAiNeD Offline

Loc: The Bronx
Oliver

I am so happy to hear you sound positive and full of life. I love the idea of you pursuing a career in art therapy. There is no doubt in my mind that you will be able to inspire and touch many lives.

You are on a good path. Im so proud of you. The journey won't always be easy but we here at MS, along with your therapist, will be here to support you.

You're doing well. Keep it up.

#370788 - 09/22/11 09:48 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: StAiNeD]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks. From you that means a lot.

#375210 - 11/13/11 07:59 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

*****THIS IS A LONG POST AND IT MAY TRIGGER****

Its been a few since I last posted here. After a conversation or two in the chat room and some encouragement from Obi. I've decided to take this post in another direction. Kinda. I will still enter an update on how my pursuit of an art therapy career is going. Now, however, I will add some of my work.

As many of you know, each week when I go to therapy I have collages with me. Its a blessing how an investment in a one day workshop led me to one of the most valuable tools in my recovery. In June I attended a workshop entitled Art Therapy for Grief and Loss. It was a great Powerpoint lecture with projects. the final project of the day was to do a soul collage. We were to bring a photo or representation of something we had lost. Most people brought photos of loved ones who had died. I took THE picture of me as a 3-year old, a photo that, for me, clearly evidenced that I had been abused. I attended with a friend and colleague. I blatantly lied to her and told her it was a cousin I knew as a child who met a horrible end. The project was to create a collage with images the moderator supplied, adding four other images which could be cut and shaped and applied any way we wanted. Our photos counted as an image. The project was inspired by a book by Seena Frost entitled Soul Collage.

I bought the book. For me the project blossomed into a 30 piece and growing body of work. It has been one of the greatest tools in my therapy. My therapist agrees. Things come out that would never be revealed strictly with talk therapy. He has asked me to write down the de>

Edited by Thebo (11/13/11 08:08 PM)

#375211 - 11/13/11 08:09 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, guys, I fucked up. I am having problems loading the image. Can anyone help me out?
T

#375213 - 11/13/11 08:27 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
rcm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boston, MA
[img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150168273956938&set=a.428062706937.213115.620586937&type=3&theater[/img]

Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.