Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
7 registered (Cam76, lapchinj, 5 invisible), 57 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62495 Topics
438031 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#365678 - 07/08/11 05:13 PM Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Ultimate 4th of July!

Watch the last space shuttle take off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKYeRSYLB0

Allen

#365801 - 07/11/11 04:52 PM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: pufferfish]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Being alittle younger then most of you, I grew up with the space shuttles and it was kinda sad to see the last one take off. My whole elementary school used to meet in the auditorium to watch them take off. It was pretty cool.

#365944 - 07/14/11 12:43 AM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: Riley]
jls Offline

I hope for more great moments in space in the future. My parents were on their honeymoon when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. They took pictures of it on TV at the time, which I have in my photo album. I'm old enough to remember the original shuttle launches in the early 1980's, and of course the wildly successful Sojourner rover that toured Mars in 1997. While its sad to see active U.S. space exploration come to end (for now), in time the adventurous sprit of the human race will certainly carry on:) JS

#366007 - 07/15/11 12:39 AM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: jls]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jls
I hope for more great moments in space in the future. My parents were on their honeymoon when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.

My (late) wife and I also were on our honeymoon at the same time. We totally missed it.

My personal opinion is that our government is totally misspending vast amounts of money and that they have kind of lost their way in the darkness. This is driving our nation into intolerable indebtedness which they (the executive and legislative branches) haven't got a clue about how to deal with. That includes both parties. That's the reason they can't find an appropriation for a newer design of manned space vehicle. That ends my rant.

Allen

#366048 - 07/16/11 12:27 AM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: pufferfish]
jls Offline

When I read that 41 cents of every dollar goes toward debt servicing I would have to agree with you.

#366051 - 07/16/11 12:40 AM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: jls]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Also we spend vast amounts on military. Most of this goes to military hardware such as drones, etc. We also are spending vast and untold amounts on intelligence activities (CIA and military intelligence, NSA).

Allen

#366071 - 07/16/11 11:16 AM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: pufferfish]
jls Offline

Yes the U.S. military budget is unbelievable. $500 billion a year I hear is the regular operating budget, not including more expenditures for extra-cirricular adventures like Libya. To put it in context, the U.S. spends more on its military annually than all of its NATO partners do combined. Part of it is how much the American economy depends on military spending, directly and indirectly, as in you don't have to be enlisted to be employed in the defense field. Many civilian jobs depend on contracts that companies have with the Pentagon. This is essentially the re-creation of a war economy that America has kept going since the end of WW2. The other big part is ensuring American military supremacy on the world stage. With China not so far behind the west expect more military spending in the near future, not less. JS

#366084 - 07/16/11 03:36 PM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: Riley]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: Riley
Being a little younger then most of you, I grew up with the space shuttles and it was kinda sad to see the last one take off. My whole elementary school used to meet in the auditorium to watch them take off. It was pretty cool.

WOW! My elementary school did that too, but it was late 1960sand it was the Apollo Program (not sure of what grade I was in). They brought us into the auditorium to watch the return of one of the Apollos on one very old, wooden cabinet TV. I followed and studied each and every detail possible about the Apollo-series mission. I had even built one model rocket for each mission from Apollo 1 - on. I mean, I knew how many kids each astronaut had and their ages...where the astronaut went to school, his home-town, DOB...etc.

I remember that not one adult around me thought Apollo 13 crew would survive. I knew they could not be saved by anyone from earth. My father drew cold and harsh parallels between isolation and self-reliance in space and life on a boat (where I learned a lot about self-reliance). He use to say that "golfers think that 'life is a lot like golf, blah blah blah...when in fact, life at sea is like real life, you are on your own and left to your own devices.' I heard that philosophy from age 5 to adulthood and it has served me very, very well. He frequently marvelled at how I would have about 5 emergency plans in place for any given situation. A good teacher (regardless of the rage-attacks on me)...that's how.

I never made it to any launches. I really needed to though.

Still's Globs

New Video

#366103 - 07/17/11 01:37 AM Re: Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis [Re: Still]
jls Offline

The pace of human progess never ceases to amaze me. We went from horse and buggy to space in less than 100 years. JS

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.