Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438087 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#365434 - 07/04/11 12:52 PM Am I allergic to my contacts?
trishamile Offline

about two weeks ago my right eye started getting really red on the bottom (the white part) so I didn't wear my eye contacts until it cleared up. when I start wearing the contacts again it gets red again, its been on and off for the past two weeks. should i see an optometrist or an ophthalmologist? because during the time they were red I went to get an eye exam for contacts and she didn't mention anything to me. i dont know what to do because the same day I bought the year supply of contacts!

#365448 - 07/04/11 06:35 PM Re: Am I allergic to my contacts? [Re: trishamile]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
There are several possible answers to your difficulty. I don't know your situation, so I can't be more specific.

If it were an allergy, it would show up in both eyes and all of the eye would be inflamed and not just the white part. So I discount allergy.

If it was caused by in infection by a microorganism, it most likely would have spread to the entire eye by now.

So the most likely answer is #4 below:

1. Are you sterilizing your contact lenses properly overnight? If not they could be infected and causing your problem.

If you are not sterilizing them with a hydrogen peroxide solution like AOSept, then try that. Make sure the solution is neutralized using the method described on the box?

2. Are you washing your hands well before removing and/or replacing your lenses?

3. I had trouble with an irritation in one lens because there was a small tear or rip in the lens. It was not visible to the naked eye. That lens had outlived it's life and had to be discarded and replaced with a new one. THIS SEEMS LIKE THE MOST LIKELY PROBLEM.

4. Is there anything unusual about the way in which you store or disinfect your lenses overnight? Is there a possibility that some chemical agent or cleaning solution is venting fumes or touching your lens? Or, is there a foreign substance in the container in which you store your lens?

5. Is there a constant strain on the one eye due to a visual problem?

Allen

Edited by pufferfish (07/04/11 08:27 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.