Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
2 registered (susie, WriterKeith), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441424 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#365002 - 06/27/11 02:05 AM So-and-so has removed themself...
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
We all get PMs from others and they fly back and forth on the site all the time. I'm removing a large number of messages from my inbox right now, just to get a handle on what I have there.

Do you ever see "__________ has removed themself from this topic" and get some ideas of unintended consequence? I have to remind myself now and then that someone is simply dumping old messages from topics that are a bit dated, and that it's not them tossing me to the four winds.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#365017 - 06/27/11 07:39 AM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: FormerTexan]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Andy,

I remember the first time this happened to me. Someone replied to a PM then almost immediately "removed themselves from the topic". I did not know what to think of that. Later I learned that when one deleted PMs that this message was the one that was sent to the other person(s)in the PM. Then it made sense to me.

Good of you to post this for new men here as well as non-techys like me.

Daryl

#365021 - 06/27/11 08:46 AM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: prisonerID]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
This simple clerical step, Andy, can have untold repercussions to abuse survivors without clarification, indeed.

Thank you for helping us understand that this line "<username> has removed themselves from this topic" really just means that the post was probably deleted for lack of space.

I remember my first message like that I received, and it felt as I was being rejected and took this personally, when the others in the PMs had nothing but love and support for me.

Thanks Andy, great topic.

Sam

#365023 - 06/27/11 09:53 AM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: FormerTexan]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
A question regarding PMs: what is the difference between deleting PMs and removing yourself from the topic?

#365048 - 06/27/11 06:31 PM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: TheBobcatAgain]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Bobcat,

when a PM is deleted it automaticaly sends a message to the other persons in the PM saying "<username> has removed themself from this topic"

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#371867 - 10/06/11 07:09 PM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: TJ jeff]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Bumping up for the benefit of newer participants on the discussion board.

Bumpty-bump.

1. That

#371902 - 10/07/11 12:19 PM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: FormerTexan]
Czaesar72 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California, USA
Thanks for the notice, Andy!

I did that once, because I didn't know how this works. I was cleaning my inbox, and someone did not talked to me after that, and i couldn't figure out why.

The strength of a man isn't in the weight he can lift; it is the burdens he can understand and overcome.

#371923 - 10/07/11 08:45 PM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: Czaesar72]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think in either case, whether you "remove yourself" from a message or you delete a message or group of messages the other person still gets a notice they you've removed yourself from the conversation.

As you can imagine, I get many PM conversations and need to keep my box cleared out or they mount up. Generally when it seems to me a conversation is finished I remove it from my list. That removal is in no way an indication that the other person doesn't matter. It's simply tidying up what I believe to be finished business.

#375134 - 11/12/11 09:56 PM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: WalkingSouth]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Bumpty-bump.

1. That

#375242 - 11/13/11 11:00 PM Re: So-and-so has removed themself... [Re: FormerTexan]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
thanks for the bump Andy as I find myself just about to go through my own PM files and clean them out a bit - so please don't take it personal anyone...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.