Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447734 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#364728 - 06/22/11 12:13 AM Should I Have Gone?
jls Offline

Some friends invited me to a summer solstice "picnic" in the park, which is happening right now (midnight). I wanted to go but not really at the same time since I am a newly recovering alcoholic and I know there will be alcohol there. Thing is I am around alcohol on a regular basis (my work requires it) and am not triggered by it so I'm going back and forth on whether I should have gone or not, just to enjoy the company of friends. I guess my biggest concern is being with my friends while they are drinking since that could be triggering as I may feel left out. Not that they are all falling down drunks. On the contrary, I'm worrying that being around non-alcoholics while they enjoy social drinking may convince me in my mind that I can do the same, drink socially I mean, which I can’t. Sure it would start out that way but within a matter of weeks my consumption would be back up to where it was before I stopped. Anyways it makes me wonder if there will ever be a time that I can attend social gatherings with others where alcohol is present while I remain sober. Am I making too much out of this by not going, being overly worried about the risks I mean? Hearing from others in recovery from addiction about this matter, particularly those with long time sobriety, would be appreciated.

#364730 - 06/22/11 01:01 AM Re: Should I Have Gone? [Re: jls]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: jls
Some friends invited me to a summer solstice "picnic" in the park, which is happening right now (midnight). I wanted to go but not really at the same time since I am a newly recovering alcoholic and I know there will be alcohol there.

You did the right thing. The social drinking would have been very different from work.

Allen

#364734 - 06/22/11 07:47 AM Re: Should I Have Gone? [Re: pufferfish]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Bravoi for posting this-stating where u r at and your concerns.

The original primer on recovery from alcoholism -AA"s Big Book-'addresses this very specifically and your gut aligns with what those guys wrote 70
Some years ago.

If our mindset is strong, we go and have fun. If we feel tempted or triggered, we stay away and engage in healthy recovery work so we will be stronger next time.

Changing my environment so those old triggers aren't easily accessible helps, and walking through my issues changes me so I can enjoy life Moore.

Defense and offense!

Edited by Mountainous Buck (06/22/11 11:10 AM)

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.