Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
8 registered (royjay, JayBro, Jay1946, 4 invisible), 70 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62520 Topics
438132 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#364533 - 06/19/11 03:39 AM My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Tomorrow is my little son's first birthday party. He was born on June 20, 2010. About 8 months after I had been raped and sexually assaulted. It was also at this time last year that I first went into that Male Survivor chat room and talked about what happened to me. It was at the urging of my therapist. He said that it might help to see that other men were recovering from sexual trauma, and he was right. It was through talking to so many of you that I could see that I wasn't alone.

I was kind of shocked at first. It seemed like every guy had been sexually abused as a child and could not relate to certain aspects of my story. I was saddened to read that so many horrible things can happen to young children and that knowledge has colored my son's first year as well. I have to do everything in my power to protect him. But at the same time it was lonely those first few months before some other loner ASA survivors popped out from out of the woodwork.

About two months after I first joined this site, I finally was able to have some honest talks with another man here who was raped as an adult, and this was extremely instrumental in finally making the decision to tell my wife about the assaults, as many brothers here urged me to do. It hasn't even been two years since the assault/rape happened but I am in a different place now. I am so grateful for my son and the way he continuously reminds me that God still has a purpose for my being present in the world. Those little eyes stare at me with the same wonder and amazement as they did when he was first born. My beautiful wife had waited so long for a little baby to hold, and watching her joyfully embrace the gift of motherhood has probably been one of the most endearing things I have ever seen. There is a lot of trauma for the both of us to overcome, and I am still making sense out of what happened to me but it is our task as survivors to go on living life so that we can create new memories that can outnumber the traumatic ones. They might not disappear but we can at least try to crowd them.

I joined this site because I realized, "Oh, S&*T, I am going to be a father in a couple of days." I had spent months on end doing nothing but lying in bed wondering what the hell happened to me. Playing it over and over in my head and asking myself what I could have done differently. I missed a lot of those ultrasound appointments, I wasn't as supportive about the pregnancy as I could have been, it was nothing personal I just was too numb to care about anything. Somewhere I found the strength to be there when my son entered the world. As soon as I laid eyes on him, I knew he was going to be my new purpose. I was so apathetic during the pregnancy, I didn't even suggest names to my wife. As soon as they gave him to his mother to nurse, she said that his name was Peter, after me. I remember many nights rocking him to sleep and wishing he could have a different name because I didn't want to set him up to be a failure like me. Talking to many of you here has helped me to see that I do have a lot to teach this boy, and maybe one day he will be proud of his father the way I am proud of my own father.

I am grateful to God for all of you here who have been my friends and companions over this past year. Your support means more than you know. Some of you had great fathers growing up. Some of you had terrible ones--and the only Father's day gift they deserve is the electric chair. We all come from different backgrounds but I thank each of the men who sat with me and listened to my story. Thank you for giving my son his father back.

- Saint John of the Cross

#364534 - 06/19/11 03:49 AM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: CruxFidelis]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Wow...one of the most powerful posts on the site.

Congratulations, super dad!

#364541 - 06/19/11 07:09 AM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: WriterKeith]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Peter,

WriterKeith is right this was a wonderful and uplifting post. You've done a remarkable job "crowding" your assaulter's words and actions. You're son's a lucky boy to be loved with such clear affection by his father - Happy Father's Day. Earlybird

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#364544 - 06/19/11 07:40 AM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: earlybird]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois
Amazing post Peter!

You are going to be a wonderful father:)

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...8711#Post348711

#364551 - 06/19/11 10:37 AM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: Darkheart]
Rusty563 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Anywhere, USA
Happy Father's Day Peter! Your child has a wonderful dad.

Rusty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOkMSf-F14

#364556 - 06/19/11 12:05 PM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: CruxFidelis]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hey CF

Congrats on your sons 1st and many many more happy and safe birthdays for him, Love him lots and give him lots of attention.
As for you well done and great to have you here.

Heal well
God Speed
Martin

#364567 - 06/19/11 03:19 PM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: whome]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Peter,

An absolutely beautiful message from an amazing man - and you truly are amazing in many ways.

Daryl

#364671 - 06/20/11 08:47 PM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: prisonerID]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Great post....you are awesome parents Pete.....

#364674 - 06/20/11 09:24 PM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: kb8715]
Driftwood Offline

Loc: Colorado
A part of me envies that little boy, such a hero of a dad.

#364676 - 06/20/11 09:34 PM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: Driftwood]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
CF,

This is truly a hope-inspiring post. You've already experienced so much magic surrounding being a dad. I envy you dude. I SO miss those years with my kids. And I agree with you: God has great plans for the both of you. Continue to be the TOTALLY AWSOME dad you are!

Big safe hugs dude!!!!!

Sending you a PM link to a video I made a while ago. I really want you to see it.

Edited by Robbie Brown (06/20/11 09:53 PM)

Still's Globs

New Video

#364741 - 06/22/11 12:09 PM Re: My son's 1st birthday, and my 1 year anniversary [Re: Still]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I wrote a long post and it didn't go through.

Basically it said that Thank you for chatting with me and I think that you are a good person and are and will continue to be a great dad.

Logan

-Blade Runner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.