Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
5 registered (DaiseyLady, 4 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447920 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#364441 - 06/18/11 09:00 AM Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey guys,

I'm sure I don't know most of you posting these days, but please let me encourage you to consider this weekend with Mike Lew. I did it last summer and it was a truly life changing experience.

I will be going again this summer. There are many guys who go again and again, kind of like a convention...LOL If you have any questions about how it goes or anything like that feel free to ask here, or to PM me.

all the best,

sono (aka Kevin)

#364450 - 06/18/11 10:26 AM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: sono]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Hey Kevin,

Any way you could provide an overview by title for each exercise or session? Kind of like a brochure for a seminar?

Also, have you ever attended one with someone who was assaulted as an adult? I do not mean someone who is CSA as well and then later assaulted as an adult. Just ASA alone.

Daryl

#364475 - 06/18/11 05:07 PM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: prisonerID]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Daryl,

Good to meet you again!! I'm quite dumb, I forgot to include the link!!

Kirkridge.org

I can tell you that it isn't so excersize oriented, although there are some, the experience is very loose in that for each "period" (i.e. Morning, afternoon, evening) there are large group sessions in which Mike and Tom address different aspects of recovery and then we break into dissuasion groups of our design and choosing. I have to say that the sessions in which mike spoke were truly inspiring and healing....his books aside, the man really has a unique talent for that.

The concept is to provide a safe environment to connect with other men who have so many of the same struggles and explore them in the way one wants and in the manner one wants. Mike is very much about the importance of choice to survivors and that is reflected completely in how the weekend is structured.

I couldn't really say if anyone there last summer was a survivor of ASA...although there is a session to tell one's story, the actual specifics of the abuse are not front and center.

It'd be cool to see you there if it turned out to be something you thought was for you.

Sono - Kevin

#364492 - 06/18/11 09:02 PM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: sono]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to share this with me. I am very glad it was such a great experience for you.

Good hearing from you as well.

Daryl

#365330 - 07/02/11 10:55 PM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: sono]
Sailboat92 Offline

Loc: Ct
Hi- I read his book victims no longer or more, it's been so long now. I'm searching for something to connect with men who are raising families and still struggling with this shit. Can you let me know about this weekend or retreat?
Thank you.
J

#365623 - 07/07/11 05:11 PM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: Sailboat92]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
What do you want to know specifically sailboat?

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#365655 - 07/08/11 09:07 AM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: Castle]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

To anyone who has attended one of these things,

What type of language is used by Lew and crew? His writings are specifically aimed at those who were abused as children. Do they just use general "male abuse" terminology? Are there other times they refer to CSA terms such as "inner child" and such? If so then is there any mention of those assaulted as adults specifically?

I guess what really makes me wonder is a point that sticks out in my mind. A very good friend here sent an email to Mike Lew asking about inclusion of ASA men. He then forwarded the response to me. I could not fathom from the response if Lew meant that there were men there who were ASA only or if there were men there who were both CSA and ASA. I was not asking if I was welcome but rather if the format would fit with me.

Any men here who were only assaulted as an adult ever attend a Mike Lew weekend? I would also be interested in talking with any ASA guys who attended a WoR as well. I only know of one so far and he stated that there was no mention of ASA yet there was inner child work done there.

My history with events, articles and books geared towards "male abuse" has made me justifiably leery. I have plunked down money in the past for seminars and other things only to find my circumstance not even mentioned.

I hope I have not offended anyone for I am simply seeking answers.

Daryl

#365658 - 07/08/11 10:01 AM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: prisonerID]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Daryl,

Why not directly email Mike?...he is actually very approachable, and I would bet you would get a response back, I believe he is currently down under.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#365665 - 07/08/11 12:05 PM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: Castle]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Okay, have a good weekend.

Edited by prisonerID (07/08/11 12:27 PM)

#368280 - 08/16/11 10:28 PM Re: Mike Lew Retreat Weekend Aug. 12 to 14 [Re: prisonerID]
youthfulheart62 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey(exit3)
I have been to the retreats and there are men that have been abuse as men...
Mike Lew has a web-site.www.nextstepcounseling.org

Edited by youthfulheart62 (08/16/11 10:30 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.