Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (Bluedogone, Jay1946), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63182 Topics
441799 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#364175 - 06/14/11 11:55 AM a different take on the journey
DannyT Offline

Hi guys,

I read this quote yesterday and thought it might be useful to others, too. It seemed a good metaphor for abuse and healing:

"Alternate routes and delays shouldn't concern us. As he says: a detour is just another road."

Danny

#364203 - 06/14/11 08:49 PM Re: a different take on the journey [Re: DannyT]
myshoeisonfire Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Thanks for sharing! I Love a good quote!
Its all about how you deal with what life throws at you - or If you cant deal with it, coming up with a way to continue onward one day at a time.

I had to come up with some way of explaining to myself that I was "ok" just to even keep going.... Its REALLY difficult for me to keep my had above water.
I cant tell my family what Im going thru - so ive pretty much cut them out of my life altogether... but that's another story..they are the ones giving my problems about the CSA, and tell me that if I truly have forgiven the offender(family member) I wouldn't have any problem joining him / the rest of the family at gatherings, and holidays.."it was a LONG LONG time ago.. stop living in the past - and you're not a very good "christian""

they fail to see that this is something i deal with EVERY DAY of my life

Its lonely inside my world.

this has been a VERY hard week for me.. any quotes, or thoughts always make things better.
thanks!

-Dan

Edited by myshoeisonfire (06/27/11 09:48 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#364207 - 06/14/11 10:02 PM Re: a different take on the journey [Re: DannyT]
RyanDouglas Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I chose now to take the path less traveled, to find my way out of the dark and into the light.

#364208 - 06/14/11 10:35 PM Re: a different take on the journey [Re: myshoeisonfire]
RyanDouglas Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Dan, I recently cut everyone but a few out of my life, a few which now know my struggle, and my trauma.
I tried to justify my alienation and isolation; so I can more easily come to terms with my feelings of shame that I hid from my family without them judging.
Now that I'm in therapy I realize I didn't explain myself, and just disappeared.
I realize I need a strong support network, and I need to select this network better than before.
But they are my family.
I felt it was necessary for me to heal.
I struggle to relate to their lives. Though I lived my life beside there's; I felt so alone.
I've found help, and am focused on healing.
I've finally been able to tell someone "everything", and not felt shame.
Knowing other men struggle with the same feelings and situations gives me strength.
Together, we can be the family we've yearned to have understand us.

#364209 - 06/14/11 10:41 PM Re: a different take on the journey [Re: RyanDouglas]
WalkTheWalk Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Or, it doesn't matter what road you take as long as you get there... Unlike a Harley ride, the destination DOES matter.

- Sometimes boys with a thousand nightmares become men with a million blessings.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.