Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
2 registered (L84, 1 invisible), 61 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438170 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#363991 - 06/11/11 11:24 AM Little Giant
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Little Giant

Yesterday, the celestial fireball finally decided to break out and heat up the place, so my wife and I were taking full advantage by stretching out on lounge chairs while sunning ourselves like sleek snakes on a deserted desert highway. At a lazy moment, I looked up, and on the edge of our deck was a small lizard, which, like us, was laid out and soaking up the heat. These four- inch critters are all over the rock walls I’ve built, but I’d never seen one bold enough to hang out with us on the redwood slats.

(I have discovered that in the warmth of an early season sun, things and creatures, human or not, tend to slow down and relax. It’s as if, for a brief moment, there’s room and safety for everyone to absorb and enjoy the one thing winter is incapable of supplying – the pleasure of toasting. Unfortunately, this moment of repose and security among others of different needs and understandings is often brief and easily lost by suspicion, curiosity or aggression.)

I wanted a closer peak at our little guest so like a lioness in the African tundra I slowly rose and silently moved towards my prey. Unbeknownst to her I only had visual consumption on my mind, for raw lizard is not an entrée I’d be inclined to consume.

There are few things, other than my wife, I believe to be more beautiful than desert vertebrates. (Hmm, I’m not sure if my delicate, soft-skinned mate would see the comparison to these dry, scaly ground crawlers as a compliment.) Anyway, my point is that I just wanted to enjoy the loveliness of this naked lady up close. (It’s a guy thing I suppose.) I was surprised by how near she allowed me to draw before she sprang up, popped off the edge of the deck and skittered across the wood chip ground cover into some planted Snow In Summer. (For the benefit of the non-gardener, Snow In Summer is a flowering plant that thrives in the summer heat giving an odd show of dazzling mounds of white resembling snow drifts under the hot arid sun.) I regret that my inquisitiveness instilled in my lounging reptile companion such a fearful response.

Little did I suspect that this would in turn lead to a pugnacious response by an unseen lover. Suddenly, from my right, in a flash of speed and show of fearless defiance, another more colorful lizard raced between me and his fleeing female mate. Skidding to a stop he began some pushups providing a display of his orange underbelly - bravado giving me warning to back off. I’ve had these guys brandish their macho muscle pump many times before as I pass by them where they hang around my rock walls and pathways. But never had I had one advance on me, then drop and raise with such daring determination. I don’t think he had a clue about how “cute” he looked.

I should have been kinder, but I couldn’t resist seeing how close he’d allow me to get before his courage would give way to a more intelligent decision to turn and race away. As I crowded into his space he rotated his head and popped it up and down in rhythm with his pushups, not giving up one inch of ground. I was impressed by his courage given I’m a thousand times his height and weight. I couldn’t believe it, but that little male refused to surrender his stance and he even let me gently touch his nose before he flipped around and ran! But to my amazement, he only retreated a few feet, then turned and scurried up to the top of a decorative piece of driftwood, undoubtedly in an attempt to gain some high ground. From his new perch he resumed his vertical swaggering, a silent demand for me to go back to my chaise and leave his family alone.

As I admired this tiny fellow I wondered if I could be as formidable in the face of what must have appeared to this little Sir Lancelot to be insurmountable odds. He taught me something with his unswayable determination - a lesson I’ll try to apply in my own life:

No Goliath is too big for a David with a giant’s will.

Smiling, I turned and let him have his victory. As I lay back down to enjoy the heat I told my wife “I hope his deserving mate rewards his bravery.” (OK…what I actually said was, “He’s definitely gonna get some tonight.”)

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#363994 - 06/11/11 11:52 AM Re: Little Giant [Re: earlybird]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
"No Goliath is too big for a David with a giant’s will."

What a great thought. And you had sun - color me grumpy.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#364004 - 06/11/11 06:29 PM Re: Little Giant [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Letourski Offline

Loc: Canada
Hello Early,

Honestly, your writing ability amazes me. What a victory for the little lizard. Nature is so amazing isn't it. A lesson we can all learn from.

Cheers,

Daniel

#364008 - 06/11/11 08:17 PM Re: Little Giant [Re: Letourski]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

EFM,

no need to be grumpy I’ll share the sun. Just grab your suit and partner (with his suit) and drive the 3 hours and let’s hit the water!

Yes, The lizard's lesson struck me deep. That little creature really showed me up.

Daniel,

Thanks for the kudos and as you stated “nature” is amazing. She also has an astouding ability to teach, admonish and most importantly give hope to anyone and everyone who will take a moment and give the earth and its creation the high ground.

I’ve not learned an untruth from her, which I can’t really say is true of any other source of given understanding.

Thanks guys for your support, Earlybird

Edited by earlybird (06/11/11 08:18 PM)

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#364010 - 06/11/11 09:51 PM Re: Little Giant [Re: earlybird]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Did he try to sell you car insurance, too? 15 minutes can save you 15% or more...

- Saint John of the Cross

#364011 - 06/11/11 10:02 PM Re: Little Giant [Re: CruxFidelis]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

That was a Gecko not a desert lizard. Good grief, what can one do with city slickers!!! LOL

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#364012 - 06/11/11 10:24 PM Re: Little Giant [Re: earlybird]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
touche!

- Saint John of the Cross

#364022 - 06/12/11 03:20 AM Re: Little Giant [Re: CruxFidelis]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois
Earl,

To myself and many of our brothers here, you already are just like that lizard, formidable against unsurmountable odds....

Perhaps we could put you next to the lizard and see who can do the most push ups smile

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...8711#Post348711

#364023 - 06/12/11 08:05 AM Re: Little Giant [Re: Darkheart]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Darkheart that was kind of you to say.

I hadn’t thought about doing a faceoff with the little Hercules. I better start practicing. 1-2-3-4 rapid pulse 5-6-7-8 breathing accelerating 9-10-11 eyes crossing 12-13 thud.

I need to go back to the chaise and think up a new strategy – yours sucks! blush

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#364026 - 06/12/11 08:57 AM Re: Little Giant [Re: earlybird]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois
Hahahaha ...i snorted coffee out my nose!!

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...8711#Post348711

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.