Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62524 Topics
438156 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36356 - 01/24/03 09:41 AM Re: Dentists
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Don:

I've had a lot of dental work done in my life, always struggled a lot with it, but never really known why (or maybe deep down I did) until now.

I'm finally facing a part of what was done to me in SA I think I really sensed but was in denial about; maybe I just wasn't ready for it. So I guess I am now???...

It actually as far as I know at this point goes back "only" to memories of abuse events I've already recalled, not new ones. Still, I know it's gonna take time.

But I'm gonna schedule a cleaning--and tell my dentist about my SA...

Thinking about you as you continue to have this dental work done, Don.

Victor

#36357 - 01/24/03 09:51 AM Re: Dentists
Wuamei Offline

John:

Do you have TMJ ("lockjaw"), where your jaw cracks & pops, and may sometimes lock up? I do, and my dentist 8 years ago said this was becuz I grind my teeth at night (tho I didn't know why then), and you seem to be doing some major grinding.

Maybe you could talk to your dentist about this, if you haven't already. Mine had me fitted with a mouth splint (looks kinda like a mouthpiece for sports) which is molded to the way your teeth & jaws are supposed to line up. Reshapes them & helps stop the grinding. Wore mine for 8 years, all except the first month or so only at night when I sleep. Worked great, except lately my facial structure must have changed and I could need another one; I was told I might.

However right now I'm trying another option, one you possibly could go straight to. My chiropractor
is doing some regular jaw & facial work--which does involve him sticking his fingers in my mouth & working the jaw muscles from the inside. It does seem to be helping after just a couple times.

So far this doesn't seem to be bothering me. Still I will probably tell him about my SA soon; he already knows I was abused in general terms, & I'm sure he suspects anyway.

Hope some of these rambling thots help.

Victor

#36358 - 01/25/03 01:04 PM Re: Dentists
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
I keep finding that a common trait among many survivors is TMJ. I'm not sure exactly why that is and I wish someone out there in the field of medical research would look into it.

Actually one instructor at school talked about some massage work that works on the muscles from the inside of your mouth. In the next couple of weeks, we will be learning the muscles of the jaw, and chewing and swallowing. This may be very enlightening for me I hope as I keep finding the TMJ in many people.

I remember when I first started seeing the dentist a few years ago. All of my front teeth had either broken or were cracked. I wouldn't smile or open my mount much to talk because I looked so bad and it was so embarrassing. Now I have a partial plate and it looks very good (althought the partial plate was full of triggers for me... oh man that was rough accepting that). But for me to get in the dentist for the first time and even come close to letting them work on me, I did several things. I will list these in hopes that it might spark someone's imagination and help relieve some of the anxiety.

1) I got a pre>

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#36359 - 01/25/03 09:31 PM Re: Dentists
Wuamei Offline

Don thanks a lot! That is all really great advice for any of us who might be going (or needing to go) to the dentist. The poem is cool! And "I Won't Back Down" is one of my very favorite survivor songs!

Victor

#36360 - 01/26/03 02:46 AM Re: Dentists
Les_Angry Offline
MaleSurvivor

I just wanted to mention that I had (have) tmj too. I discovered it at the dentist when I could keep my mouth open for more than a minute at a time when I was getting a cleaning. My wife confirmed that I grind my teath while I sleep. I was supposed to get fitted for one of those football mouthpeice things, but I just let it go. It must be getting better because now I can keep my mouth open much longer during cleanings.

Mo Healing

#36361 - 01/26/03 02:48 AM Re: Dentists
Chey-Wy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Quote:
Do you have TMJ ("lockjaw"), where your jaw cracks & pops, and may sometimes lock up? I do, and my dentist 8 years ago said this was becuz I grind my teeth at night (tho I didn't know why then), and you seem to be doing some major grinding.

Maybe you could talk to your dentist about this, if you haven't already. Mine had me fitted with a mouth splint (looks kinda like a mouthpiece for sports) which is molded to the way your teeth & jaws are supposed to line up. Reshapes them & helps stop the grinding. Wore mine for 8 years, all except the first month or so only at night when I sleep. Worked great, except lately my facial structure must have changed and I could need another one; I was told I might.
Victor

Yes I do have T M S ..... but I thinkit is of the whole body. Everything has been snapping, crackling, and popping.

Also, I was going to say NOT to the grinding. I had a roommate in college that was very intoxicated one night and was trying to pick up a young lady. His come on was I want to grind with you . Sorry, my mind was in the gutter when I was reading that.

Seriously. Yes I do have T M J and Yes my dentist did fit me with a splint. The only problem is that I grind me teeth so badly that I have broken one splint. They repaired it but within a very short time I had ground it away to nothing. I did just get fitted with another new splint $200.00. They aren't cheep.

Yeah, the good Lord gave us mountains,
So we could learn how to climb

#36362 - 01/26/03 09:50 AM Re: Dentists
Wuamei Offline

Chey:

You broke a splint? Man you do some serious tooth-grinding!

At least you seem to have a pretty good rate on your splints. Mine, eight years ago, was a lot more than that, with insurance.

Still $200 is a lot of money, any way you stack it. Hope this one works better for you.

Victor

#36363 - 01/26/03 11:25 AM Re: Dentists
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Would you guys be interested in writing a brochure about male victimization and anxiety about dental procedures?

We could develop something for the American Dental Association (as well as the dental associations in other countries) sent out through MaleSurvivor as a means of educating dentists (either through dental schools and/or to the members) as part of a national mailing by the associations.

We could also do something with physicians, particularly for general practioners, urologists, proctologists, etc.

This would be a good grass roots project (maybe help some who can't afford membership in MS and earn membership), but ultimately, it would help survivors out there who either don't know the connection or don't know what to say to the dentist.

Ken

#36364 - 01/26/03 12:30 PM Re: Dentists
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
I would be open to providing input on this and much of the basic things that I have done to get through dental problems I briefly outlined. I'm not sure if I have enough hours to do the entire thing because of working full time and being in a very intense school program right now. But I would offer my input in whatever way I could.

This is an excellent idea and I'm glad you thought of it...

It might even be a topic for an upcoming newsletter article I write for another organization since it is pretty close to home for me and many others.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#36365 - 01/26/03 03:10 PM Re: Dentists
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
ken:

great idea on creating a brochure! i don't have much in the way of input to offer, i have dentist issues too. i am willing to help in whatever way i could, maybe with the "production of the final document" dressing up, etc.

hey posters: some really good ideas on how to deal with dentists!

mumblings to self... a health care retreat weekend with dentists and various types of doctors in a clinic setting, combined with survivor mental health sessions to cope with same.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.