Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (traveler), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446693 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#362693 - 05/21/11 03:23 PM Sex, Sleep and the Law
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I just spotted this article and noted that it's clear there are lots of reasons why men get erections that aren't under their control:
Sex, Sleep and the Law: When Nocturnal Genitals Pose a Moral Dilemma Note: *** Potential Triggers in the Article ***

Quote:
It may seem to you that, much like their barnyard animal namesake, men’s reproductive organs the world over participate in a mindless synchrony of stiffened salutes to the rising sun. In fact, however, such "morning wood" is an autonomic leftover from a series of nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) episodes that occur like clockwork during the night for all healthy human males—most frequently in the dream-filled rapid eye movement (REM) periods of sleep from which we’re so often rudely awakened in the A.M. by buzzers, mothers, or others.

For those with penises, you may be surprised to learn how frequently your member stands up while the rest of your body is rendered catatonic by the muscular paralysis that keeps you from acting out your dreams. (And thank goodness for that. Carlos Schenck and his colleagues [pdf] from the University of Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center describe the case of a 19-year-old with sleep-related dissociative disorder crawling around his house on all fours, growling, and chewing on a piece of bacon—he was ‘dreaming’ of being a jungle cat and pouncing on a slab of raw meat held by a female zookeeper.)

Worth reading to understand the rhythms of our bodies that we don't always control.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#362699 - 05/21/11 08:03 PM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ever-fixed Mark
I just spotted this article and noted that it's clear there are lots of reasons why men get erections that aren't under their control:
Sex, Sleep and the Law: When Nocturnal Genitals Pose a Moral Dilemma

Note: *** Potential Triggers in the Article ***

Originally Posted By: article, sex-sleep-and-the-law from Scientific American
It may seem to you that, much like their barnyard animal namesake, men’s reproductive organs the world over participate in a mindless synchrony of stiffened salutes to the rising sun. In fact, however, such "morning wood" is an autonomic leftover from a series of nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) episodes that occur like clockwork during the night for all healthy human males—most frequently in the dream-filled rapid eye movement (REM) periods of sleep from which we’re so often rudely awakened in the A.M. by buzzers, mothers, or others.

I didn't know I had a barnyard namesake. I guess this means that I have been called an "ass" by several various assorted people.
Originally Posted By: article

For those with penises, you may be surprised to learn how frequently your member stands up while the rest of your body is rendered catatonic by the muscular paralysis that keeps you from acting out your dreams. (And thank goodness for that.

OK - I learned this in introductory psychology in college. In fact we were shown some brief clips from a sleep study. It was amazing how many times the subjects of the study turned and tossed during the night. In fact it could explain why I sometimes awoke in a bed where the sheets and blankets had been tangled and tossed.

Unfortunately the author of my college psychology text, D.O.Hebb, who also made the clips, became involved in using prisoners and psychiatric patients in drug experiments and experiments using unwarranted and excessive electro-shock.

But how it might apply to me is: A few years ago I had to have a sleep study done. I had symptoms of sleep apnea. I know I had bad dreams since childhood. I was leary of the sleep study, which would also send my image to a nearby observation room. The study reported on here made me a bit self conscious because I wondered how revealing the pictures would be. I asked the tech the next morning and he said there was nothing unusual. I guess I was afraid that I might rip the wires off and do something weird like demand a chunk of bacon.

Quote:
Carlos Schenck and his colleagues from the University of Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center describe the case of a 19-year-old with sleep-related dissociative disorder

I haven't seen this article, but it sounds interesting. I do have some objections to what are listed as their conclusions.

Quote:
the case of a 19-year-old with sleep-related dissociative disorder crawling around his house on all fours, growling, and chewing on a piece of bacon—he was ‘dreaming’ of being a jungle cat and pouncing on a slab of raw meat held by a female zookeeper.)

This bothers me a little because I wonder whether it was reported in a scientific manner or not.

If it was reported by a parent, it may well have been distorted, especially in the matter of chewing on bacon like an animal. It would make me wonder if the parent had been the one who had abused the boy and was fashioning a report which would get him "off the hook".

The problem is that guys who have been sexually abused as very young children will most likely have a dissociative disorder. Usually it would be identified as DID (dissociative identity disorder, formerly known as multiple personality disorder). In this case they could shift to a child personality (called an alter) who would be the one who experienced the sexual abuse. So yes, that alter would be highly sexualized. Yes, an erection might be expected. But why would he have any reason to crawl around chewing on bacon? Only if that's how he had been treated as a child. And I guess it's not out of the question. Some children are treated as animals and I suppose if they were hungry they might look for some bacon.

Look, the idea is, they didn't know what he was dreaming about. How could they? The idea that he was dreaming he was a jungle beast seems unjustified.

Originally Posted By: efm

Worth reading to understand the rhythms of our bodies that we don't always control.

-efm

Allen

#362902 - 05/24/11 11:45 AM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: pufferfish]
Tom S. Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tn
This was obviously written by a feminist.
Tom S. in Tn.

#363088 - 05/27/11 08:56 AM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: Tom S.]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Tom S.
This was obviously written by a feminist.

I don't know if it's your intent, but I interpret that as a kind of dismissal or indictment of the author.

What makes you say that, Tom?

-efm

#363094 - 05/27/11 10:12 AM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
I would not be too concerned Tom. The article exists in a bastion of people who still can't explain gravity and hang's its income hat on global warming myths.

It does not surprise me that they would take such a warped view of males and grotesque behavior...that the "true animal" within us is free to play in our sleep and "thank God....ah..Gia" that we can't act in our sleep.

Still Not Recognized

#363098 - 05/27/11 10:29 AM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
... much like their barnyard animal namesake...

Ah......ha ha ha....i get it....."Pigs."

I think this thread needs to be moved to das "Off Topic" forum, cuz it truly is off-topic. I've been here since 2007 and have yet to read about a sleep-walking perp with a mouth-full of bacon.

Still Not Recognized

#363109 - 05/27/11 11:53 AM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: Still]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

The aspect I found interesting was that men get erections for lots of reasons other than conscious sexual excitement, and that they happen so frequently and for so long each night.

That point seems important for men who were abused and who had a physical reaction that they feel betrays their own truth and causes undeserved shame for them. I think this helps show those men that they don't need to assign blame to their physical reactions.

It feels on-topic for male abuse and assault survivors to me.

-efm

#363110 - 05/27/11 12:05 PM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
My penis is beautiful
My penis is capable of Great acts of Love
When directed with my heart and intelligence
My penis is a place of power
and Healing.

My penis is symbolic of
my courage and strength
My willingness to take a stand
for what I believe in
To protect and empower
To go after a dream
To make the world better
To just be one of the guys

People may try to dump crap on my penis,
but I do not let it fall there,
I protect, I understand, I nourish, I cherish my penis.
It is a place I love.
It is a good place.

Edited by risingagain (05/27/11 12:15 PM)

#363119 - 05/27/11 01:33 PM Re: Sex, Sleep and the Law [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

That point seems important for men who were abused and who had a physical reaction that they feel betrays their own truth and causes undeserved shame for them. I think this helps show those men that they don't need to assign blame to their physical reactions.

It feels on-topic for male abuse and assault survivors to me.

-efm

OK...I stand corrected. Then I like the article AND its placement Mark. Thank you for the post. (I still don't like the author though LOL)

Still Not Recognized

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.