Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63188 Topics
441842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#362624 - 05/20/11 07:25 PM -
exhale Offline
MaleSurvivor

-

Edited by exhale (01/13/13 11:21 PM)

#362639 - 05/20/11 11:52 PM Re: fascination/fear of death [Re: exhale]
jls Offline

Ironic that you should post this. I watched someone die earlier this week. It was a violent, traumatic death, a homicide actually. I can't get the image out of my head either, or of the place where it happened. I feel I need to do something on that street corner, like a memorial or something, in memory of what happened and of the person killed there since after it happened it really bothers me seeing so many people cross there like its just business as usual. I'm not blaming them since they weren't there when it happened but I was, which is hard to live with. Sorry for going off topic with this but I needed to express it all the same. JS

#362641 - 05/21/11 12:13 AM Re: fascination/fear of death [Re: jls]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
*** MAY BE TRIGGERING FOR SOME ***

I guess there must be a lot of people out there who like to see gory dead images. There are a number of crime scene TV shows where they seem to compete with each other in showing the most twisted corpses or hideous lacerations. I know they are using plastic or clay models but they are well made and look real. Then I wonder if I could get a job making such models?

When I was a little boy (see my avatar) my family visited a museum where they had an actual shrunken head. It threw me into a turmoil. I had to get out of the building.

I was abused and held captive for 2 weeks when I was 12. I was told many times that he (the perp) was going to kill me. He held a knife against my chest while threatening. I watched him kill another boy (my therapist suggests it might have been a ruse) and then he told me that it would happen to me. This is probably too much detail for right now. But when I recovered the memories of this event I had an intense PTSD - flashback type of reliving of the death-stuff. It gradually just faded. It was helpful to write out the story of what happened and to talk about it to a therapist.

Did you have such an experience? Is that behind your fears?

Allen

#362653 - 05/21/11 06:20 AM - [Re: pufferfish]
exhale Offline
MaleSurvivor

-

Edited by exhale (01/13/13 11:22 PM)

#362741 - 05/22/11 02:02 PM Re: fascination/fear of death [Re: exhale]
jls Offline

Seeing someone become seriously injured or killed at the age of six could definately have something to do with it. I'm no psychologist but I think its safe to assume for a child to see something like that would leave a lasting impression since children are unable to process trauma as adults would. Hell I'm 40 and I'm still having difficulty processing the death I witnessed last week so what does that say?

#362878 - 05/24/11 05:15 AM - [Re: jls]
exhale Offline
MaleSurvivor

-

Edited by exhale (01/13/13 11:22 PM)

#362879 - 05/24/11 05:42 AM Re: fascination/fear of death [Re: exhale]
well-intended Offline

Loc: Belgium
Yeah, it's trauma. You'll learn to feel the connection sooner or later.

#362880 - 05/24/11 06:20 AM Re: fascination/fear of death [Re: well-intended]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Exhale your no psycho. Challenging your thoughts, all of your thoughts is good and healing work.

Sucks you need to ask these questions. Sucks you need to be here.

Same goes for us all.

Keep working on it Exhale.

#362894 - 05/24/11 10:26 AM Re: fascination/fear of death [Re: exhale]
jls Offline

the very fact that you question and worry about whether you are "psycho" means you aren't. True psychopaths don't possess the insight to consider or question what's not right in their minds.

#362928 - 05/24/11 06:34 PM Re: fascination/fear of death [Re: jls]
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
When I was at my lowest ebb, horror films used to make me feel better, because whatever was wrong in the world I knew that it wasn't as bad as what was on screen.

Maybe seeing dead people is one way of reminding yourself that you are indeed alive - living is good - that's how we win!

Best wishes ...Rik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.