Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447721 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#362702 - 05/21/11 09:20 PM Re: Gay Priests not the cause of Sexual Abuse [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Cut to the quick -

Gay is an attraction to others of the same sex.

Paedophile is an attraction of adults to children. That attraction may be to the same or opposite sex.

Best wishes ...Rik

#362705 - 05/21/11 09:56 PM Re: Gay Priests not the cause of Sexual Abuse [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Efm, if my philosophy sounds Eastern it's because I spent a year in India studying yoga and meditation in ashrams. I also have great respect for the red road and the teachings of indigenous peoples. God is not just for people who identify with Christ... as Rumi said, there are many rivers and one Ocean.

We all have a choice. I do not believe that God is 'abandoning' us but in fact is intimately involved in all we do. Even so, like an incredible parent, we are given the ability to make mistakes and to trespass on ourselves and others. But everything has its way of returning to us in lessons and growth. This is for the good of all life.

Why do you come here efm? What's your choice?

#362865 - 05/24/11 01:29 AM Re: Gay Priests not the cause of Sexual Abuse [Re: risingagain]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
However, there is no excuse for the non-involvement of people that comprise churches and are actually *here*.

Hey efm Were you referring to the 'sweep-it-under-the-rug' attitude of the churches wrt priest abuse?

#362866 - 05/24/11 01:33 AM Re: Gay Priests not the cause of Sexual Abuse [Re: risingagain]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Yes.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#362976 - 05/25/11 04:33 PM Re: Gay Priests not the cause of Sexual Abuse [Re: risingagain]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: risingagain
Efm, if my philosophy sounds Eastern it's because I spent a year in India studying yoga and meditation in ashrams. I also have great respect for the red road and the teachings of indigenous peoples. God is not just for people who identify with Christ... as Rumi said, there are many rivers and one Ocean.

I have no quarrel with Eastern philosophies - a statue of the Buddha shares my home, as do collections of Rumi's poems. It's uncommon to see strains of reincarnation theory surfacing in this kind of context.

We all have a choice. I do not believe that God is 'abandoning' us but in fact is intimately involved in all we do. Even so, like an incredible parent, we are given the ability to make mistakes and to trespass on ourselves and others.

The non-involvement you attribute to a god's great parenting could as easily be attributed to a capricious god, a lazy god, an uncaring god, or to the non-existence of god. They are functionally the same. This "intimately involved" god you speak of doesn't square with the reality of the non-involved and invisible god.

My choice is to look at this domain critically and to acknowledge that how I live my life is wholly uninfluenced by whether or what kind of gods exist. It just doesn't signify.

My life is, however, influenced by how the followers of gods choose to act.

You asked why I come here, and I'm going to assume you mean MS, so my answer is to work on my recovery. A significant part of that recovery is dealing with religious abuse, hypocrisy, and betrayal.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#363025 - 05/26/11 12:02 PM Re: Gay Priests not the cause of Sexual Abuse [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Ever-fixed Mark

I have no quarrel with Eastern philosophies - a statue of the Buddha shares my home, as do collections of Rumi's poems. It's uncommon to see strains of reincarnation theory surfacing in this kind of context.

I'm glad we are of all stripes here.

We all have a choice. I do not believe that God is 'abandoning' us but in fact is intimately involved in all we do. Even so, like an incredible parent, we are given the ability to make mistakes and to trespass on ourselves and others.

The non-involvement you attribute to a god's great parenting could as easily be attributed to a capricious god, a lazy god, an uncaring god, or to the non-existence of god. They are functionally the same. This "intimately involved" god you speak of doesn't square with the reality of the non-involved and invisible god.

Just because we are allowed to make mistakes does not mean that God is not involved. I believe God is always setting up lessons for our growth, based on what we came here to learn. In my life, this happens in the most exquisite way. It's not easy.

There's an idea that, "if God is loving, why did he let this happen?" That's a big mystery for all of us. Why did the Holocaust happen? Why are we humans allowed to pollute the Earth even as we abuse many other forms of life?

I don't believe this proves anything about God. Perhaps there is a mystery greater than we can see, which is at work in our hearts and minds.

Perhaps terrible things happen because humanity has lessons to learn. We all have lessons to learn.

May I turn my rage and sorrow into something beautiful. That's why I am here.

You asked why I come here, and I'm going to assume you mean MS, so my answer is to work on my recovery. A significant part of that recovery is dealing with religious abuse, hypocrisy, and betrayal.

-efm

Efm, I am so sorry that you suffered religious abuse.
I am sad about how easy it is to deceive ourselves, and how you were deceived by people in positions of spiritual authority. That sucks.

Mark

#363116 - 05/27/11 12:47 PM Re: Gay Priests not the cause of Sexual Abuse [Re: risingagain]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Another way to say this is

You are not responsible for being abused,
but you are responsible for your recovery.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.